Author Topic: Cost of servicing a Rolex Daytona at RSC?  (Read 31019 times)

Offline dpkong

Cost of servicing a Rolex Daytona at RSC?
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »
i am wondering if anyone knows what it would cost to service a Rolex Daytona with the Zenith movement at the Rolex Service Centre at Menara Dion?

also, what does a standard service involve and the time taken?

and assuming i want to have the crystal changed, how much extra would that be?

if anyone here knows someone on the inside, do feel free to PM me the information or share that here publicly ,if allowed.

thanks!

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
Re: Cost of servicing a Rolex Daytona at RSC?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
A basic service for daytona is at least sgd 1k in S'pore Rolex service center but no idea how much it cost for crystal replacement but definitely not cheap..

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:51:46 AM »
i am wondering if anyone knows what it would cost to service a Rolex Daytona with the Zenith movement at the Rolex Service Centre at Menara Dion?

also, what does a standard service involve and the time taken?

and assuming i want to have the crystal changed, how much extra would that be?

if anyone here knows someone on the inside, do feel free to PM me the information or share that here publicly ,if allowed.

thanks!

A crystal replacement is cheap. Should be less than RM500. With RM1k probably it will include a polish and recondition of the case. That's the good news. Standard service are 4 to 10 weeks depends on models, chronograph would takes longer than a time only.

Here's the bad news(why there's always a bad news :-\ )

Rolex doesn't have a lot of Zenith movement(el primero) in stocks and Zenith is controlling the supply and price of their movement(they are own by the profit driven conglomerate LVMH) so cost of servicing the on the movement is gonna be steep.

You will be charge according to how many parts that needs to be replace. Don't be surprise to see price of a wheel can cost up to RM300 :Startled:

In case you if you need to service the movement inside my guess of the price will range from RM2000(basic) to RM6000(overhaul). Of course if the movement have severe damages prepare to pay more.

A zenith powered Dayto is on its way to become a vintage and it's the model that started the Rolex Daytona fever. I would take good care of it. Even if the cost of service is high. The price of these Dayto are not coming down in the future.

What year is your Dayto from?

Regards
T

PS you can PM me if you want to know more.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:55:44 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Instead of all the guessing why not just pick up the phone and call RSC at KL?

Offline jefnando

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »

i agree, and remember to let us know after you called.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Life is more than just a sum of the 6 senses

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »

ok boss! just wondering if anyone here got first-hand experience.

as to the condition of my watch, it's from year 2002 and a P serial watch. the seller i bought it from claims it has been serviced prior to sale and gave a in-shop 2 year warranty. nothing wrong with it so far but i would like to drop it off at the RSC spa after i get a new daily beater. nothing wrong with it at the moment. keeps within 15secs of my computer time whenever i check it. just noticed a couple of new scratches on the crystal so i would like to replace that as well.

also, only the stainless stell Zenith Daytona seems to be the vintage piece. the two-tone don't seem to be considered vintage  :HammerHead:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
15sec deviation per day?
Thats way out of COSC specs.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
try googling up an atomic time or Malaysia Standard Time website

http://mst.sirim.my/index.php

PC time is not really accurate.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:17:33 PM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
15sec deviation per day?
Thats way out of COSC specs.

what i meant was to say was that it's 15 secs (or thereabouts) faster than my PC time every day so that's pretty consistent . i do the check after syncing PC time so it should be fine. i'm not an accuracy freak and the Zenith movement doesn't hack so i don't bother to sync it to the dot.

Offline TJ

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
Daytona i'm not too sure...but got a shock when i sent in my vintage 1601 for servicing at RSC KL...they quoted more than RM10k for replacing with original parts before servicing.......pengsan....that was my first vintage Rollie. Bought without verifying it first. Haih...lesson learnt....Sold the watch at the same price i purchased...lucky

Offline YSS

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »
Hi, anyone know of a reputable independent rolex service center in kl? Called them for quote on my old datejust. Its approx half the price of what the watch os actually worth now.

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »

Why cant one share the phone number since its public information and nothing too secretive and biased? If he asked a question like this, obviously he doesnot live in KL?
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

well.. to answer my own question, I called up the RSC and a very nice lady told me it will cost minimum RM2,420 for a basic service. the actual cost will be quoted if I send in the watch for an inspection which will take about 30 minutes.

service time is 2 weeks but can be up to 2 months if additional parts required need to be sourced from Geneva.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Dpkong, that is a very helpful and informative reply even to your own question. It is always good to get back to the thread and provides answers to questions so that it can educate other members as well. Kudos to you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »

well.. to answer my own question, I called up the RSC and a very nice lady told me it will cost minimum RM2,420 for a basic service. the actual cost will be quoted if I send in the watch for an inspection which will take about 30 minutes.

service time is 2 weeks but can be up to 2 months if additional parts required need to be sourced from Geneva.

Good information shared, dpkong.  :thumbsup:  But can you give out the phone number that you called. Was trying to look for it also. 

Question : does the basic service include polishing the case and bracelet to as new conditon?  :laugh: Or just the movement being serviced?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 02:31:52 AM »
Don't really know what is currently included in a basic service by RSC (Malaysia) nowadays, but 6 years ago, a basic service includes polishing the case and bracelet, crystal change, crown and stem tube change and movement service.

RSC Taiwan basic service (current) is as above for current models. For older models (vintage?), they will change what they can, based on what is in stock. They will tell you during the evaluation what they can do and change and charge accordingly. They will also change old parts like worn out dials and hands (stock availability), so if you want to keep your old Tritium dial, you will need to tell them. You will also need to tell them you don't want to polish your watch as the polish is a given.

With vintage pieces, you need to be careful as the onus is on you to tell them what you want done on the watch.

Offline gloomis

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 05:28:28 AM »
please do not call to RSC KL to get quote as it is not accurate at all. even you bring it the watch for quotation also will change price anytime. so is better to bring your watch to RSC your self and wait for the quotation. their service is  :thumbsdown:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 06:38:13 AM »
please do not call to RSC KL to get quote as it is not accurate at all. even you bring it the watch for quotation also will change price anytime. so is better to bring your watch to RSC your self and wait for the quotation. their service is  :thumbsdown:

I am not defending RSC, but it is difficult to give a quote over the phone without looking at the watch.

Not sure how it is done in Malaysia now, but in Taiwan, the quote are different for Tudor and Rolex. For Tudor, there are two parts in the quote. There is a basic charge and another is what they have to replace during the initial inspection. So if there are parts that have to be replaced during the service, it is covered under the fixed basic charge. So there are no surprises.

As for Rolex, they will quote the expected cost of service. The initial inspection and evaluation is much longer compared to Tudor. It can take 1 hour. They will also tell you that they will replace the crystal, crown, stem tube and all gaskets. These are fixed. If you don't want these changed, they will not issue a service warranty. They will also polish the watch and bracelet. After the evaluation, they will come back with the expected cost of service. If you agree on the cost and what is to be done or not to be done, they will proceed. Service time is standard 2 weeks. They will call you if there are any changes to the cost or duration of the service. So far I have not had any changes. This is of course applicable to current Rolex models and not vintage models.

Offline gloomis

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
is ok and no worries. I have sold of my last pcs of rolex after that incident.  :Laughing_on_floor: mayb i should thank them for helping me to convert

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »

From what i have read on forums, the basic charge is for movement service, changing the crown and stem, new O-rings and caseback gasket, polishing of the watch and bracelet, new spring bars and i believe a new hairspring is usually installed as well. i'm not sure if new chrono pushers are also included in this.

Now what RSC Malaysia does might not be the same but i believe it should be a standard practice at any RSC worldwide. But the very nice lady at the other end of the line did mention VERY clearly that the actual cost will vary upon a proper inspection of the watch. She did not say (though I did ask) what will be included in the basic service. I believe she was politely trying to say that the minimum charge I can expect is RM2,420 and do expect to pay more than that.

She did say that for watches which are old, the cost can be very high. She also did mention very explicitly that the actual cost to service will vary depending on the number of parts that need replacing. So I take that as forewarning of the costs I am expecting.

And a little off-topic. She told me a basic service for an Explorer 2 is RM2,120. I also asked about regulating my new Daytona which is still under warranty and she said it's free. Just be sure to bring the warranty card along. I wonder if they will give a free polish as well.

More information once I get to KL and see them...

Offline takashi78

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
Free polish? NO WAY.

Regulating? Free yes.
Been there done that. Easy 15min job at RSC.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
Does the free regulating mean the watchmaker will make it as super accurate or he only just regulate within the COSC spec?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
There is no such thing as super accurate an mechanical regulating, unless yours is a super quartz.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »
There is no such thing as super accurate an mechanical regulating, unless yours is a super quartz.

dc

What i mean is around +/- 1 or 2 seconds per day.

Offline klimax

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
The service charges at RSC Menara Dion is way too expensive. Previously I had my TT 16013 full serviced and it cost me RM5,858 (not a good number though) with replacement of new bezel, dial and hands.

But RSC in Dubai, they charged me AED1,700 for my 16570 and AED2,200 for 16520 Zenith movement. Here the mode of service for my non-working Dayto (for no reason the watch just stop tick):-

"Full service including decasing, dismantling of the movement, checking and cleaning of each components, replacing worn or damaged parts, re-assembling, lubricating and regulating the movement. Cleaning or refurbish the case and the bracelet as good as possible, water-resistant testing, observation and functional test of the product for several day."

and 2 years warranty of course  :thumbsup:

NOTE: AED1 equal approx. RM0.86

I have a question, is all the functional test comply to COSC procedure  ???
if you want a lovely time, you should have a lovely watch...because time is precious