Author Topic: Please, rate my second project - UMBRA - the sundial inspired wristwatches  (Read 4097 times)

Offline gnomon

Dear friends and watch enthusiasts, hi again!

It's John from Solar Lab. Some time ago I and launched my own first limited wristwatch collection called Gnomon - the sundial-inspired one-handers. For the present moment the whole collection is fully sold out, so this moderate success inspired me to continue on my path of watchmaking. Now I’m working on the new series, created the first prototypes for the new watch and once again would like to hear your opinion.

The second watch is called UMBRA (means “shadow” in Latin), and in it I develop the basic features of the concept further. The watch has a single hand that refers to sundial’s gnomon (hand that casts shadow). Now it stands still, leaving a disc with Roman numerals to rotate for indicating the time. The overall design reveals the disc only partly, referring to the light cycle depiction of actual Roman sundials. The color ways are a nod to the famous sundial structures of the Past and common building and smithing materials from the ancient times.

The exhibition case back is decorated with a signature zodiac engraving. I’ll be sticking with the automatic Miyota movement again, but decided to replace old straps with cool Horween leather-made. Here are some cool photos here:

Looking forward to see your thoughts, friends!

Offline marshall17

Cool concept - DM me if you want someone to review :) I run a watch blog here based in Malaysia.

Offline gnomon

Thanks! Will do :)

I’m glad to say that we went to crowdfunding today! So if you like our timepieces, it may be the good opportunity to get one or a couple with a good price. We plan to get them manufactured closer to the end of the Fall. So it’s not a long period of waiting by crowdfunding standards and we already manufactured our own watches before, so the deal is solid – it’s up to you if you’re into our watches or not.

You can check the project here if you liked it (and wanna save some big buck, too!)

www.kickstarter.com/projects/solar-lab/umbra-0