Author Topic: To buy or to rent a house for own stay?  (Read 26242 times)

Offline Salience

Re: To buy or to rent a house for own stay?
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 11:57:42 PM »
the basics is - do you have money/ savings in hand? if you do and you can maintain a property, buy a property. if not, rent cheap and save to buy one or just buy a property even further and save to buy a more expensive/bigger/ better location one.

basics.

Offline Brandon Khoo

• Freshie
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
To start a family, definitely owning a house would be more sensible to me.

However there is nothing wrong to rent until you have enough research and funds to get a house which you really like.

Getting a house requires lots of research and study towards its location and would be good if you could get a tip on potential developements nearby.

Make sure to choose properly.
Like what my dad always say, it is not like "buying a pack of fried bihun, but rather years of financial commitment and sacrifice"

Make a decision you would not regret.

I am just like you, a young profesional of a family of 3.
I just got a house recently and i took into account

1.Location
-I prefer somewhere central with lots of shops nearby
-a better neighbourhood with security
-a place where there is potential developement which could impact the price such as high speed rail

2.Price
-i wouldnt advice to commit more than what you could afford as this may take up to 35 years of installment.
-make sure to do a proper calculation on your monthly expenses, keep some cash for rainy days as well

I am definitely no expert and i do not have any experience in buying a property prior however i hope this helps in your decision making
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:43:48 PM by Brandon Khoo »

Offline Salience

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
some people believe that a house can be used to hedge inflation. in most cases it does- at the risk of liquidity. if you can get more gains with cash in hand - why not?

Offline Chris

• Freshie
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »
rent first, buy later. nothing wrong with renting one and starts a family and get one when you have the money.

Offline tanandtan

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 12:30:06 AM »
Buy to wait don’t wait to buy

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »
Buy to wait don’t wait to buy

just curious, buy to wait for what? no harm renting if can't afford to buy. 

Offline tayman

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »
Buy when you are ready. Imo, first house is always for you to set up a family later on. I got some friends that buy their 1st house to rent in some hot places. However, in meantime, they are renting in other places. Thus, I am not sure why they bought the house at first place.

well for me, i bought my first house which is near to my workplace, my in-laws place. It is quite ulu at Puncak Alam.

Offline Richie Richs

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 07:39:43 PM »
the basics is - do you have money/ savings in hand? if you do and you can maintain a property, buy a property. if not, rent cheap and save to buy one or just buy a property even further and save to buy a more expensive/bigger/ better location one.

basics.

Agree with this, also don't rush into buying a house as there is a lot to look into.

Offline derick93

• Freshie
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »
For a young professional with zero backup from family.

Looking at the current market in Klang Valley now, do you think it's sensible to rent a house to start a family, or to save even longer to buy a new one?

Buy if you can afford the down payment... why pay installment for others?  :mooning:

Offline canon5dmk

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48:48 AM »
During my times, I stayed with my parents.  Once you got your saving, get a house that you are affordable.  Not necessary must get a new house/condo.  If you prefer landed property in Klang Valley, you can look for ShahAlam or Klang.

Offline hadi9802

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 03:39:24 AM »
1. Buy a good rating house (refer Faizul Ridzuan or other prop experts recommendation + your own due diligence)
2. Rent it out to at least cover the loan payment  (if can get positive cash flow is best)
3. Rent yourself a house (you can get a much better unit/area if you rent with the same $$ for mortgage)
4. Once your salary grows, buy another house
5. Repeat #2
6. Once your family grows bigger (kids and all), rent a bigger house
7. Buy a house for you to stay, once you know you want to settle down for good already. As early stages or working life, you wouldn’t know where you’re gonna be working in the next 10 years or so. You might be moving here and there first as the job progresses.

Also there’s a lot of associated costs (read: with emotional factor) if you were to buy yourself a house for own stay e.g. renovation (you want to do the house nicely but seriously, you would eventually move out anyway as your family grows bigger).

I currently own 6 properties (with very good cash flow), but I’m still renting myself in a great location which cost me half the price vs. if I were to buy the unit, and I’m very happy with it. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kbng

• Freshie
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 07:17:30 PM »
It is a strait forward question, no money then rent it, got extra money for down payment then buy it.

Offline flarev

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »
If no rush in moving in, can opt to buy from the developer for those unsold unit or undercon one as the Downpayment is not so huge compare to the Subsales

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline revolution21

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »
Buy only if you know how your going to deal with it when you get the key. Whether stay or rent. Check the market nearby.

Offline smureli

• HELLO
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »
Buy your own property, do not aim high, get something comfortable, something to get you going with home ownership. Also, go to a bank and get them to give you a assessment on how much loan you can obtain, with that info, work on buying a house which you CAN AFFORD.

Offline cheesycake7

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2019, 12:51:14 AM »
The sooner you can buy, the better of course. But don’t overstretch your limits. Save up a good deposit first before buying.

Offline feydrax

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
Hi all,

Fast forward 3 plus years, I managed to get myself a house and I gotta say I am quite happy with it so far.

Had to put in lots of effort into growing my career to make this happen.

Thanks all for your insights.

Offline engkow

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »
  :thumbsup:

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2021, 10:56:59 PM »
I would suggest you to buy a house, it is long term planning. U dont rent a house for 30 years, dont you?

Offline gr2k

• Freshie
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2023, 08:47:19 AM »
this is a tougher question to answer in today's market and if you ask someone who's from the Gen X or Boomer generation they will say 100% buy...but the truth today is it depends on your scenario:

Scenario A: Not Having Children

If you plan to buy and the amount you end up paying in full over 25-30 years far exceeds 30 years worth of rent, you're better off renting.

Assuming an RM700K property in Klang Valley, 90% financing, 30-year loan at 3.6% interest. Your total out-of-pocket will be RM1.1mil not including other fees. That's equivalent to RM3K rental/month for 30 years...and Malaysia's rental market is relatively crap so you should be able to rent for much lower than that.

Even worse, some people resort to withdrawing EPF money to buy a house - no one can predict the future but historical trends show that EPF has the most consistent dividend payouts that are much better than FD, and much safer than most investments plus it has a compounding effect. Withdrawing EPF to buy a house could actually be worse for you in your retirement days (i.e. you could lose more potential savings than you gain from your property value, especially if it's a condo)

Risks associated with renting:
You could get kicked out anytime if the landlord wants a new tenant / sell the place. Without kids its just you and your partner moving, so its less hassle.

Scenario B: Want To Start a Family
You may want to consider buying, predominantly because it limits risks of you being evicted which can affect your child's schooling routine and such especially in the younger ages.

It's likely condo is the way to go because it's cheaper - start small and don't have too many kids - the cost will add up significantly and you will run out of space.