Author Topic: Grail review series no.2 (rolex explorer)  (Read 26120 times)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Grail review series no.2 (rolex explorer)
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »
Since my other topc was locked (the mod not even pm me the reason for locking), I will repost everything here.

Preface

Here what I am supposed to reveal to everyone on the other thread. Sorry for folks who guess other watch especially Daytona. I love the watch chronograph movement and how does it feel to click on the pusher. But I just not into how does it looks like. It may look good for some but for me I would rather have a L5100 chronograph. Can anyone shed some light on why Daytona is damn polular No offence for Daytona owner ya.

I actually planned to get a submariner but when I actually tried on the watch, it doesn’t look good on my wrist, same goes to Exp 2 and Sea dweller and millgauss. I am not into Daytona as per reasoning above and Deep-Sea for being super huge on my wrist lol

So this is what I got in the pic above. This particular Exp (the older version prior to new release last year) one is owned by the person in the pic wearing Daytona. I am the second owner the Exp one as he sold off his Exp to cover the cost of his Daytona purchase which was his grail that he was looking for for many years. The watch literally transferred from his wrist directly to my wrist on the spot. It’s just matter of being right place and right time. I would have missed the whole thing if I did not show up that particular day. I was happy I was managed to offload some of my unwanted watch since it’s hard to do so on sales forum here and other forum.

I had learned the hard lesson for setting proper direction in collecting watch. I would be better off saving the $ and buy the “one” outright with cash and not settle down with any substitute.

Why I choose Explorer?

The reason for choosing Exp I is that the watch really fits me well. Look at the wrist shot above and you will understand why. I would wish I would have wear Exp II or SD but it does not look good on my wrist. The newer Rolex release doesn’t help much after all.

Another reason for choosing it is because it’s just so super low profile. As person who are into watches, I would had have spotted a Submariner/Sub date/Sea Dweller/GMT/Exp II far far away. I have only seen Exp I once in the wild and I only noticed it when I am just beside that person. The watch was super simple too. It is just a 3 handed watch and bezel-less and did not have chrono (My other watches had either or both of this feature). The watch was light coming from heavy chunky diver/chrono watches. Not used to the weight and bezel-less in the beginning, later on I was able to get used to it and start to appreciate the simplicity and elegance of the watch.

Rolex marketing does help a lot in associating the watch with expedition to Mount Everest even though it was known at that time Explorer series was not around yet. Hence the “explorer” watch by their marketing team. Considering last time quartz watch have not existed yet so getting a Rolex at that time was close to wearing a quartz watch or most of people where accuracy matters

The review itself

The Unboxing part

The watch case is around 36mm which is just perfect size for my wrist. Much smaller than other watches I had. Even the SBCM023 watch is chunkier than this as it is a diver watch. The watch was quite thin in my opinion. I am sure there are thinner watch around but in my collection this is the thinnest watch I ever had after nomos.

The watch is a V series watch and its known that this series for Exp is the last run for it before they discontinued it. It had the ROLEXROLEXROLEX engrave on the side of the dial. Most people don’t like it but I like it very much cause it make it look unik and ppl will straight away think it’s a genuine ones

The dial is just a super simple 3 handed watch. Simple yet legible dial. The lume is not as good as Seiko but it is more than adequate for night use. I wished the “3” “6” “9” glow in the dark too. They are also the famous “Mercedes” hands used in this watch and Submariner

The watch was polished on the bezel and also the side of the case. I was reserved about the watch being polished in certain area due to the tendency to attract scratches. I wished I could had polish the whole watch case into brushed finish.

The watch crown was with the usual rolex “crown” symbol and had a dash below denoting it is the type of crown it uses (it uses twinlock). For submariner/DSSD/Daytona/GMT master it uses crown with 3 dot below the crown denoting it is a triplock. Operating the crown was smooth and easy to hold onto as no side guard obstructing it. Since it’s a simple time only watch, i only need to pull out the crown once to adjust the time.

Bracelet

This is the part I loved about the bracelet. It has the brushed finishing on the bracelet which in my opinion give it a more tool like appearance. The claps is made of stamped steel which attracted a lot of criticism from enthusiast that a watch at this price level should had better bracelet and clasps which was corrected in newer rolex watch. Had to admit  that the bracelet was quite comfy on my smaller wrist. I had no experience on the newer bracelet/claps so I cant comment about it. Note, I had to remove a permanent link on the bracelet in order for me to wear this it.

Movement

The watch movement is calibre 3130 which is the date-less version of 3135 movement. This
Movement is well regarded by many as very reliable and very easy to service. Go search the net for more information about this great movement. Some of watchmaker also told me it is one of the easiest movements to service. In my opinion, it was very good apart that one part of the winding system need to be lubricated properly. Other than that nothing wrong with it.

What I think about it/Conclusion?

Most of it I had writing in the initial part of the review. All I can just say it is a simple and timeless watch. Nuff said. I could had just buy it outright with the cash at the beginning instead of trading in some watches for this Exp I. But somehow the event that led to this made it memorable and I had learned a lesson on watch collecting the hard way =(

As for the watch, I may not like rolex as for other it was luxury icon but for me I really admire the effort they put into making a good watch and I respect the marketing folks there for making what it was today.

What’s next??

I had got what I want for the time being. So I am stopping for time being. Haha… While still surfing the web/online shop for it.

**Pardon me with all those anime stuff… lol XD

Enjoy :Cheers: :Cheers:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:36:59 PM by Gigi »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Grail review series no.2 (rolex explorer)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
Seems like Tyler was right...
Congratz on your grail :thumbsup:
But you said that you have to remove a permanent link to make it fit?
Your wrist so small ar? I though my wrist was small...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
Seems like Tyler was right...
Congratz on your grail :thumbsup:
But you said that you have to remove a permanent link to make it fit?
Your wrist so small ar? I though my wrist was small...

Yup i had too.. Lucky i had access to permanent link removal tool. I can put it back in should i want to sell it off again. If not i wont buy it in first place.

My wrist is super super small.... around 150 mm in width only...  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Congrats on the nice catch. The Explorer is one of the watches I had on my list of must get watches along with the Submariner. Wear it with good health and wealth.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
Instead of doing your assignment you do a review of your rollie.  :Laughing_on_floor: Hope to see it in the next gtg.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Instead of doing your assignment you do a review of your rollie.  :Laughing_on_floor: Hope to see it in the next gtg.

Cant help it man. I could write this in few hours while it take few days to think about one question in the assingment  :'(

Offline takashi78

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »
I still remember how you said you WILL NOT get a watch without at least a bezel/date etc...something "useful" other than just telling time.
How taste change eh?

Lets get a shoot of the watch with all the links removed hehe...

Curious to understand more on the permanent link removal, never knew it can be done.

The Explorer is still one of the "must have" Rolex for myself. And hope one day i will get another.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:40:39 PM »
Good for you, Abel. An honest and outright review.

Removing a permanent link is painful as I believe this is another issue.

There, at last you have had your grail and do wear it with best of health in many coming years to come.

On another note, maybe the mods would throw / share some light why your 'other' post were 'locked'...

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »
I still remember how you said you WILL NOT get a watch without at least a bezel/date etc...something "useful" other than just telling time.
How taste change eh?

Curious to understand more on the permanent link removal, never knew it can be done.

The Explorer is still one of the "must have" Rolex for myself. And hope one day i will get another.

how about a Blancpain Leman Aqualung 2100. both the EXP1 and Leman are within the same price preowned.  :laugh:

100 hours wei!!!!
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:33 AM »
How taste change eh?

how about a Blancpain Leman Aqualung 2100. both the EXP1 and Leman are within the same price preowned.  :laugh:

100 hours wei!!!!

bro... can get for the price of preowned exp1???
i understand its much more expensive la.....
Jacky Wong

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
1. congrats

2. ur taste can change overnight? so when u sell ur omega flightmaster pls let me know!  :Laughing_on_floor:

3. after we investigated - hantu lock ur thread.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
How taste change eh?

Ya its true i usually prefer watches with either/both of that feature. I dip my feet into this and i liked it in the end. Never mind about the lack of chrono or bezel. This is my most simple watch in terms of looks and function in my mini collection.

I will later post the pic of the links and the thing that used to pull the pernament bracelet out. :Cheers:

Good for you, Abel. An honest and outright review.

Removing a permanent link is painful as I believe this is another issue.

There, at last you have had your grail and do wear it with best of health in many coming years to come.

On another note, maybe the mods would throw / share some light why your 'other' post were 'locked'...

dc

Thanks David, i will tresure this watch for many years to come. Its one of the untouchables including my omega flightmaster and 1045.  :thumbsup:

Yup, removing pernament link is not easy as machine rolex uses to do pernament links uses strong force to put the link in together. This is the reason why i avoid rolex all teh while because i knew i cant wear it if i bought it. Kinda sad that rolex did not consider people with super small wrist. I not sure if the newer rolex were to have less pernament link ???

1. congrats

2. ur taste can change overnight? so when u sell ur omega flightmaster pls let me know!  :Laughing_on_floor:

3. after we investigated - hantu lock ur thread.

1- Thanks  :thumbsup:

2 - Ehhhh, no i still wont sell the flightmaster leh  >:( I just putting my feet into water to test on this watch and i liked it  :thumbsup:

3- lol, cant believe this happend yo  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:57:15 AM by Gigi »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
Older Rolex oyster bracelet's minimum is 5 links on the 6 o'clock side and 5 links on the 12 o'clock side to make a total of 10 non removable links.
Newer solid oyster bracelet lets you take one more extra out on the 6 o'clock side to make a total 9 links total.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »

Bro, after a while nothing is untouchable. I let go a few of my once untouchable pieces for new untouchable pieces.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »

Bro, after a while nothing is untouchable. I let go a few of my once untouchable pieces for new untouchable pieces.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Exactly!! hahaha

Offline takashi78

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
Rolex dont make watches for small wrist?

There is boy size and ladies sizes also dont forget.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
If anything, rolex dont have enough big watches. If the Daytona is in 42mm or 44mm, then i got a new grail.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
The Leman 2100 is on average less than 5k USD. Unless you are talking about Putin's personal favourite Leman Aqualung Grande Date l, then that is round 8-9K on average, preowned.

So the 2100 is around the price of a EXP1. The problem is finding one on sale cause the Aqualung was a limited production of 2000 while the military dialed 2100 production number is unknowned. But with blancpain only producing around 10000 watches a year, the number might be far less for the military dialed 2100.

Thus u see, the differences in prices aren't that different.

How taste change eh?

100 hours wei!!!!

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
The Leman 2100 is on average less than 5k USD. Unless you are talking about Putin's personal favourite Leman Aqualung Grande Date l, then that is round 8-9K on average, preowned.

So the 2100 is around the price of a EXP1. The problem is finding one on sale cause the Aqualung was a limited production of 2000 while the military dialed 2100 production number is unknowned. But with blancpain only producing around 10000 watches a year, the number might be far less for the military dialed 2100.

Thus u see, the differences in prices aren't that different.

How taste change eh?

100 hours wei!!!!

icic..... thanks for the info bro... :thumbsup:
Jacky Wong

Offline steveting

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
congratz! nice watch ;)

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
congratz on your grail !

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »
Rolex dont make watches for small wrist?

There is boy size and ladies sizes also dont forget.

Do they make Mid size Submariner or GMT or any of the professional range?

Older Rolex oyster bracelet's minimum is 5 links on the 6 o'clock side and 5 links on the 12 o'clock side to make a total of 10 non removable links.
Newer solid oyster bracelet lets you take one more extra out on the 6 o'clock side to make a total 9 links total.

Yup you are right. I now only had 4 links on 6 o'clock direction and 5 on the 12 o'clock direction as you have said.

Here the close up shot of the pernament link... Still can be reused back with proper tool.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:29:03 PM by Gigi »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »

there is a midsize Yachtmaster at 35mm, which is the only sports model below 40mm i would say.

model numbers 168622 for SS/platinum, 168623 for SS/YG and 168628 for YG.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
Late congrats from me  :thumbsup:
Nice review too  :thumbsup:
And yes, you told me you won't buy a watch that's without bezel  :Laughing_on_floor:
Oh ya, Tudor did have mid size sub, maybe you can try it out. (yes, with bezel  ;D)
 :Cheers:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
nice story, nice writeup! wear with pride and in good health!  :Cheers:
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'