Author Topic: Places to eat in Kuching  (Read 15022 times)

Offline nasa

Places to eat in Kuching
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
Hi fellow MWF..Going to Kuching a few days next week for CC1M..Can you guys recommend me nice halal eatery places over there? Also places where I can tapau the famous "kek lapis Sarawak"..Thanks in advance everyone..

Offline Calibr

Re: Places to eat in Kuching
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
There's a popular place in the centre of Kuching called the "Roof Top", many seafood stalls there, good food, reasonable prices..

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
There's a popular place in the centre of Kuching called the "Roof Top", many seafood stalls there, good food, reasonable prices..

Not top spot ? I posted this top spot place here
Love the seafood... + the fern leaf...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,2735.0.html

Offline Calibr

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »

Not top spot ? I posted this top spot place here
Love the seafood... + the fern leaf...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,2735.0.html

Yes, Chris, it's called the Top Spot! And checking out your link, the Ling Loong Stall is the one that my contacts in Kuching usually ordered the food from, a husband-and-wife outfit. I referred to it as the Roof Top as my Kuching friends know what I meant, and also because the stalls are on the roof top of the car park complex!

Still on Kuching - the Bidayuh long houses at the outskirts are worth a visit, but not the Orang Utan reserve.. can hardly see any of these creatures, and the entrance fee is not cheap, even more expensive (different pricing) for the orang putih tourists!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
How many orang utan reserve area there?

The one I visited a lot of orang utan

Offline Calibr

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
No idea on the number of orang utan reserve, or sanctuaries, in Kuching. Google may have the answer.. I remember it was a long way from the city. Went with 2 local chinese in the afternoon, supposedly to watch the orang utans feed.. waited for about 30 mins in the humid jungle before a mother orang utan carrying a baby swung from tree to tree to a wooden platform where some fruits were placed for them. The platform was also very far, need binoculars to see! So, it's not worth the trouble!  :Scolding:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
My regular spot at Top Spot (Permata Carpark) is stall No. 25 as I think the food is better there. Go early or late, not around 7-8pm as that's peak hours and the wait is longer. Most tourists like to feed there if you live in the vicinity.

Good kek lapis you need to get from a house in Petra Jaya. Let me know if you need a lift. Many also like to take home the preserved terubok fish by the boxes from the Satok wet market. That wet market has moved across river to Kubah Ria.

What kind of food are you looking for? Depends if you have transport and where you live.

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
My go to places for Kolo Mee and Sarawak Laksa are Sin Lian Shin (along Green Road) for the former and Chong Choon (town area) for the latter.

Top Spot would be a pretty good choice for fresh seafood despite being pretty touristy, Ling Loong is one of my regular pig out spots whenever I'm back home. If you have the time and transport Kampung Buntal and Pending are two other good choices.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
During CNY holidays, I had time to go to Buntal again for seafood. It's much better and cheaper than Top Spot for sure. Another place is Muara Tebas which is even better than Buntal. The restaurants there have upgraded since my last visit and now serve fish, crabs, lobster, oysters and shells (or snails) from Sabah, and all live from tanks.

I will have to say Muara Tebas is now the go-to place for seafood if you have transport for the 20 minute drive up.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »
Calling Kiamat.....
is the March 23rd trip on ?

seafood & watch hunting....
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline 8ddie

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
any good watch hunting place at the heart of kuching?
am travelling to kuching next week for a couple of days.

was at kuching last month also.
as for the seafood at taman kereta, i found the standard dropped as compared to few years ago.

any other good place for good seafood.

comparable to "welcome seafood" in kk.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
any good watch hunting place at the heart of kuching?
am travelling to kuching next week for a couple of days.

was at kuching last month also.
as for the seafood at taman kereta, i found the standard dropped as compared to few years ago.

any other good place for good seafood.

comparable to "welcome seafood" in kk.

Used and new watch shop in Sarawak Plaza, father's shop near Electra House (can service Rolex). Omega AD at Tun Jugah. Rado AD and a few other watch shops in Plaza Merdeka.

Good place for seafood outside town is best. You need a car. Taman Kereta is for tourists who can't travel far.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
Dpkong is right, for good seafood in Kuching, you have to travel away from town. Two places that I visit more often than others, the 1st is the infamous Buntal, plenty of restaurant there, thou I like to go to Lim. The second place is totally another direction, at Muara Tebas, Chinese called it green hill, There are two seafood restaurant at the fisherman jeti, I prefer the one on the right.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »
Dpkong is right, for good seafood in Kuching, you have to travel away from town. Two places that I visit more often than others, the 1st is the infamous Buntal, plenty of restaurant there, thou I like to go to Lim. The second place is totally another direction, at Muara Tebas, Chinese called it green hill, There are two seafood restaurant at the fisherman jeti, I prefer the one on the right.

Muara Tebas is where the old Chinese temple (by the sea coast) is, right? My KCH client told me it was more than 150 years old.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »

Muara Tebas is where the old Chinese temple (by the sea coast) is, right? My KCH client told me it was more than 150 years old.

Yes, thats the one.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »

Made a trip to Muara Tebas for lunch today to see what they have...  They also have live fish in other aquariums...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »
Steamed fresh lobster and oyster were really good. Don't want to suck so didn't try the long snails. The white clams in soup are so-so. As  usual, steamed prawns are always a good order. The round snails where you have to dig with a toothpick are also good. Having kids around meant no time to mess around with crabs.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
That's the restaurant that I visit too when eating out at Muara Tubas.

I especially like their steam prawns too. The shells are removed, but head is always intact, and somehow they manage "twist" it for presentation. And the garlic sauce that is dripped on top make the whole dish heavenly.

Offline vrscse23

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
Definitely have to try the western food at Meat and meat cafe. Affordable and of good quality m