Author Topic: RSC authentication  (Read 8015 times)

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
RSC authentication
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »
Hi MWF sifus,

I would like to know how much it cost to authenticate rolex watch at RSC?

How long would it take? And would they give you any form of receipt/written confirmation?

I know there maybe a post on this before but most of them are at least 2 years old and i want to know the latest cost and process.

Thanks all!

Offline ymchow

Re: RSC authentication
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »
i went there to do the authentication 1 month ago, they told me RSC didn't do authenticity any more, u can ask them to check the watch timing or shorten the bracelet instead since they dont do or service any non ori rolex watch ..

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:40:07 PM »
i went there to do the authentication 1 month ago, they told me RSC didn't do authenticity any more, u can ask them to check the watch timing or shorten the bracelet instead since they dont do or service any non ori rolex watch ..

So they can do adjustment on the movement? How much is it?

Offline spayre

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 05:42:11 AM »
They don't do authentication anymore. But I heard that you send it for a service, they will check the watch before accepting it?

Or you can ask the seller to send the watch for a normal service and you would get another 2 years from the service date...

Offline dommie85

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »
If this is a 2nd hand watch that you're buying (without proper papers) and you're sending it to RSC for service, I heard that they'll do a check and see if it is a stolen watch or not.

If the serial number is in the lost/stolen watch database, RSC have every right to freeze your watch...

You can double check with RSC for this

Offline squasub

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »

So they can do adjustment on the movement? How much is it?

if the warranty still valid, its free. If not they will make quotation first but you need to leave the watch for few days for the quotation (depend on type of service you want)

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
Thanks all. So I went to RSC and ye I kind of say i want to authenticate but i know rsc dont do that anymore. The service lady just kinda smile haha. So i told her that my watch is 15 sec fast a day and i want to know of the timing can be regulated

In the end they quote me service fee (about 3k rm), thats a bit too much for me right now so i paid 240 rm for the quotation.

Anyway can i confirm that if they are willing to quote for service, that implies the watch should be authentic?

Offline ethan89

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
Thanks all. So I went to RSC and ye I kind of say i want to authenticate but i know rsc dont do that anymore. The service lady just kinda smile haha. So i told her that my watch is 15 sec fast a day and i want to know of the timing can be regulated

In the end they quote me service fee (about 3k rm), thats a bit too much for me right now so i paid 240 rm for the quotation.

Anyway can i confirm that if they are willing to quote for service, that implies the watch should be authentic?
RM3K for regulate the watch is steep or it is including any other adjustments or overhaul of the movement?
You are asking for authentication, I suppose you just bought a new watch? And YES, if RSC willing to provide the quotation meaning your watch is somehow "visually" authentic.

Offline lamkinpark

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »

@tim.thavi Do you need to keep your watch for few days or RSC can instantly provide you the quotation?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
Hi all. The quotation of 3k was for service/overhaul and replacement for crown and tube, balance wheel. They said the balance wheel may not need to be changed so that is 800 rm which cannot confirm.

As for the quotation, it took me 30 mins on the spot.

And ye this is my first second hand rolex so while i think the seller is fine, i just want a peace of mind. If i like the watch ill probably keep it and then service it down the road

Offline squasub

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »

Yes i think so. If the watch is fake or mixed with non original part they will inform you and will reject any service for the watch.

3k is quite steep but depends on watch complication and parts need to be replaced. May I know your watch model?

Offline koryong

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
If this is a 2nd hand watch that you're buying (without proper papers) and you're sending it to RSC for service, I heard that they'll do a check and see if it is a stolen watch or not.

If the serial number is in the lost/stolen watch database, RSC have every right to freeze your watch...

This has been a vague point long debated on larger Rolex forums - do a search and you'll see how incompetent and irresponsible Rolex is at managing their stupid "stolen watch" database.

So many cases has happened where the stolen watch has been recovered by police but unknown to Rolex since they DON'T proactively follow up. You can guess what happens when the next buyer brings the watch to RSC ... innocent but has his watch confisticated.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »

Yes i think so. If the watch is fake or mixed with non original part they will inform you and will reject any service for the watch.

3k is quite steep but depends on watch complication and parts need to be replaced. May I know your watch model?

Its a Sub 14060M, circa 2001. The 3k is for complete overhaul + balance wheel change. The balance wheel change is around 800 but they said it still need to be confirm depending on the timing test again.

I forgot to ask when the watch was last serviced (i heard they will tell you?) but ye its running about 10-15 sec fast a day, so I will try to live that for now.

another thing is the condition report is I think rather exaggerated, like saying, bracelet, case, lug, case back all got scratched, glass chipped...i mean its 20 years old watch with unnoticeable scratch....and i cant even see the chip with close inspection.

Anyway do you reckon I should go back to the 2nd hand shop to get them to regulate the movement, or 10-15 sec a day isnt that bad, even though its out of COSC.

Offline lamkinpark

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
I would suggest to go amcorp mall preowned shop for service, it should only cost u a fraction of the 3k.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:15 PM »
I would suggest to go amcorp mall preowned shop for service, it should only cost u a fraction of the 3k.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did think about that. Initially I wanted to go RSC just to see if they will authenticate. If I go to amcorp mall shop, can I just ask for the time to be regulated? i don't want them to change any part, i'm quite worry about that. Any experience if they will change any part and if so, will they actually be original? I don't want any fraken watch.

Down the road, I might still want to do full service anyway, depending if after a few months I know i'm going to be a long time owner or not.

Sorry if I sound paranoid, as I say, my first 2nd hand rolex watch. In fact, i'm generally a first hand buyer kind of person so these are all quite new to me.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »

Its a Sub 14060M, circa 2001. The 3k is for complete overhaul + balance wheel change. The balance wheel change is around 800 but they said it still need to be confirm depending on the timing test again.

I forgot to ask when the watch was last serviced (i heard they will tell you?) but ye its running about 10-15 sec fast a day, so I will try to live that for now.

another thing is the condition report is I think rather exaggerated, like saying, bracelet, case, lug, case back all got scratched, glass chipped...i mean its 20 years old watch with unnoticeable scratch....and i cant even see the chip with close inspection.

Anyway do you reckon I should go back to the 2nd hand shop to get them to regulate the movement, or 10-15 sec a day isnt that bad, even though its out of COSC.
Sound good, let's assumed they have look throughout the movement so to make the quotation, in the other word, your newly bought watch is authentic.

Just to give you a reference, my 2018 116610LN is running plus minus 3 seconds per day if I didn't wear it (with occasional hand wound to make sure it is up and running), that being said, if I gave it a little bit more wrist time like 8 hours per day, it is super accurate, I am talking about plus minus 0 second per day.

15 seconds per day is SEIKO standard and I just couldn't take it.

I would suggest to sent it for a good movement overhaul / service, if you found yourself being skeptical upon amcorp mall shop, RSC is your only way, additional 2 years warranty aren't too bad imo.

Offline lamkinpark

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »

Thanks for your suggestion. I did think about that. Initially I wanted to go RSC just to see if they will authenticate. If I go to amcorp mall shop, can I just ask for the time to be regulated? i don't want them to change any part, i'm quite worry about that. Any experience if they will change any part and if so, will they actually be original? I don't want any fraken watch.

Down the road, I might still want to do full service anyway, depending if after a few months I know i'm going to be a long time owner or not.

Sorry if I sound paranoid, as I say, my first 2nd hand rolex watch. In fact, i'm generally a first hand buyer kind of person so these are all quite new to me.
If you really wanna have peace of mind, then really got no choice but to go for RSC.

Offline dommie85

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »

This has been a vague point long debated on larger Rolex forums - do a search and you'll see how incompetent and irresponsible Rolex is at managing their stupid "stolen watch" database.

So many cases has happened where the stolen watch has been recovered by police but unknown to Rolex since they DON'T proactively follow up. You can guess what happens when the next buyer brings the watch to RSC ... innocent but has his watch confisticated.

Point noted on this, and agree that this is a vague point. In any case, thanks for sharing your thoughts

Offline Timeless

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
How long does it take for a quotation which cost 240?

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
How long does it take for a quotation which cost 240?

30 mins give or take. With a rather exaggerated conditional report.

Offline mopiko

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
after reading your comments,

RSC no longer do authentication
BUT if u send it for servicing quotation end up don't do service you pay rm240 correct?

So can i say, i "indirectly" have them do authentication by paying rm240 for the servicing report quotation right?

stupid question:- they do open up ur watch for inspection for the service quote right?

Offline mopiko

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »

@tim.thavi do they give you a nice report with all your watch serial & details in it?