Author Topic: Opinions  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Person

Opinions
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:29:03 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forum and new to watches. I'm 26 and have never owned a watch, it's not something I've ever thought about. However, I start a new job in Melbourne soon and was thinking that to mark a new start I'd buy myself a swanky new watch before leaving. I reckon I could swing something in the RM4-5k range and the watch I've come across in that range that I quite like is the Baume and Mercier Classima.

I've got a couple of questions regarding the watch if that is okay?

1. Firstly, would you recommend buying online? Or should I pick it up from a retail outlet? Any recommendations of good vendors, online or retail, are more than welcome.
2. If you were buying a first watch would you go for the watch I've identified or be looking elsewhere? Again, any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:11:04 AM »
Welcome. Congrats on your new posting. I suggest you visit an AD instead of buying it online. Good to start with some human interaction instead of buying thru the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »
I would also agree with Meor and buying from an AD to establish a good relationship. I like your choice of watch too. It is simple, has good heritage and great with a shirt and tie. I would also recommend Frederique Constant moonphase as an alternative brand. It is the same size at 42mm. Although the price is a little bit more than your budget.
https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch-finder/manufacture/manufacture-slimline-moonphase-fc-705s4s6/

It is a beautiful watch though.

Good luck with your search and purchase...

Cheers

Offline Afham07

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
I would visit AD first instead of blindly buy from online. Most watches look so damn beautiful in photo but not in real life.

however, my key decision of purchase will be always the price. And of course, have to inspect properly to avoid fake products.

Offline yehlai

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:23:03 PM »
Dint need to ask here, for this price sure they will recommend you Rolex Hulk or LV

Offline Cocas

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »
 :thumbsup:

A RM 5k budget should get you a very nice watch.

I remember I too got myself a swiss automatic watch by using up my first drawn salary 20yrs ago.

Me too , I got it at AD. You will the excitement... like you've just fallen in love when you got your first watch in your hand :D

Hope you enjoy your very first step of the horological journey, bro!

Offline Timeless

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:28:38 AM »
F2f deal would be an ideal interaction, you will definitely explore further and learn along the way. 

Offline 2ndOpinion

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forum and new to watches. I'm 26 and have never owned a watch, it's not something I've ever thought about. However, I start a new job in Melbourne soon and was thinking that to mark a new start I'd buy myself a swanky new watch before leaving. I reckon I could swing something in the RM4-5k range and the watch I've come across in that range that I quite like is the Baume and Mercier Classima.

I've got a couple of questions regarding the watch if that is okay?

1. Firstly, would you recommend buying online? Or should I pick it up from a retail outlet? Any recommendations of good vendors, online or retail, are more than welcome.
2. If you were buying a first watch would you go for the watch I've identified or be looking elsewhere? Again, any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

An Apple watch would be great for your budget and age. The watch is very acceptable for the office. Many CEOs wear one cos it's not showy and is very functional.

Offline affordablewatchguy

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
RM5k is indeed a great budget for a first watch, and you really can't go wrong in that price range. I definitely recommend (as stated by previous posters) you to purchase from an AD rather than online. This way, you can test watches out, and get a feel of what you really like, instead of finding out you hate how a watch looks on your wrist after it arrives in the mail.

Offline bedazzle44

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 05:57:23 PM »
Me too, I would suggest you to buy from AD. Subsequent watches could be from other sources though..

Offline shengyang

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 07:21:52 PM »
I would say buy Japanese. If possible don't pay more than 20% of your monthly salary, because you may regret your purchase decision or you might accidently hit your watch.

Offline Fugazi

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
First watch get from AD. Even second or third until you are confident enough to deal with grey dealers.

As to the choice - get whatever pleases you most. That said at your age I would recommend a robust tool and/or versatile watch akin to Explorer II, budget and career etiquette permitting.
114060 | 116610LN | 116710BLNR
Nautilus 5711
Speedmaster MOTM | Seamaster PO 43.5
Pelagos Blue
PADI Turtle | SNKL23