Author Topic: Seiko SARB017 Alpinist  (Read 16278 times)

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:00:58 AM »

First of all, let me start by saying that I'm new to watches and watch collecting. I googled so many different watches in the affordable range before deciding on this one. It was more of an impulsive decision but one that I have not regretted since.

I was looking at the SARB range and reading/watching youtube reviews. At the end of the day, I was undecided between the SARB033, SARB065 and SARB017. However, something about the sunburst dial green and many instagram pictures that capture the beauty of this watch made me take the jump.

I have had this watch for almost half a year and it started as a surprise to now, something that I cannot imagine being without. I have other watches in rotation but so far, this one gets the most time.

The Seiko Alpinist line was introduced in 1961 for mountain climbers. I think it is similar in concept to the Rolex Explorer in this case and in many other cases I will explain later especially this latest version. Dubbed the Yamaotoko or simply mountain men, it has a mountain engraving on the caseback of all Alpinist watches. I am also in love with the SARB015, black dial triangular indices alpinist. However, after being discontinued it's price has skyrocketed to something I'm not willing to pay for.

The SARB017 is stated as 38mm but realistically is closer to 39. However, it wears smaller due to the rotating inner bezel. It runs on a 6R15 movement that is rated at +-12-25s if I'm not mistaken but can be regulated to perform better. Out of the box, it is really dependent on luck how accurate it performs. Mine is well within +-10s. With a power reserve of 50 hours, I am able to rotate my watches easily without leaving this on a winder.

Truthfully, the watch doesn't work with a plethora of straps. I find the colors that are good on it is usually, black, brown and green. But on a bracelet, it takes a whole different beauty of its own.

Unfortunately the stock bracelet for the SARB017 costs around RM450-RM500 and I am very unwilling to pay 1/3 of the price of the watch for a bracelet. Luckily, I managed to find a watchmaker near my area who is able to custom make the bracelet out of an omega speedmaster lookalike bracelet. As soon as it is on a bracelet, it rarely leaves my hand. I no longer have to worry about moisture or sweat and treat it like a real TOOL watch.

Overall, this is definitely a piece I would not leave or sell. In fact, if Seiko announces that they will discontinue this model, I would most probably buy another one just as a backup.

Aesthetically, except for the black dial and inner rotating bezel which shows the North (there are tips online on how to use this function but please be careful as the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere has different methods of calculation), the watch is quite similar to the explorer.

I wouldn't use an Explorer as a toolwatch because I'm not THAT rich yet. But the SARB with it's sunburst green dial is very distinctly Seiko and truthfully, I much prefer the design of the Seiko. Obviously it lacks the ability to dress up due to the green dial unlike the Explorer but one can't hope for perfection in this range.

Oh, and if anyone sees a SSAF limited edition QUARTZ Alpinist at a good price, do tell me. :)
IG : watchstories.my

Offline dualcarb

Re: Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
Nice write up. Thank you for sharing and the great pictures. I prefer the 017 more than the 015. The green makes it more distinctive. And on a brown leather strap it can be rather "macho". The size of this watch is perfect for Asian wrists and the build and quality of the watch shines through. 6R movement makes it reliable and bulletproof. Seikos have started to be noticed by the uninitiated and is very very quickly gaining popularity this decade. Go grab some more before the prices go through the roof...

Offline samlaw76

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:02:39 AM »
hi guys, may i know where to purchase this seiko alpinist in malaysia? tks alot on advance.

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:28:17 AM »
Nice writeup...congrats on the purchase.

I learned some time back that watch collecting is more about one's emotional attachment to the timepiece rather than how much more accurate it is to the 1/100th etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:47:22 AM »
Nice writeup...congrats on the purchase.

I learned some time back that watch collecting is more about one's emotional attachment to the timepiece rather than how much more accurate it is to the 1/100th etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks man. Yeah.
IG : watchstories.my

Offline Ben07

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
Got mine off eBay seller based in Hong Kong just days before it was discontinued. Very pleased with the versatility of the watch as you described. The stock strap was stiff and after few days it was on a leather nato. A bracelet would be perfect but Strapcode one cost RM400+. Regrettably mine is losing time about a minute a day.

Offline ramd3v

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 08:43:02 AM »
Hey there, i am new here. Just added the Alpinist to my small collection and i want to change the original leather strap to a steel bracelet. Any ideas where i can get one in KL/PJ or better yet is there any shops that specializes in straps/bracelets so i can see some options? Thanks!

Offline haziqdzafer

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 01:26:56 PM »
great review
btw may i know whats the price range for this model. was there much different from the year you bought till now
thanks!

Offline Keithpeng

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
great review
btw may i know whats the price range for this model. was there much different from the year you bought till now
thanks!

basically, it's running around 1.9k-2k in Malaysia right now. Not sure if it's still available now.

Offline haziqdzafer

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
 :Cheers:appreciate your feedback btw. let me know if you planned to let go yours. lol  ::)

Offline iceburn

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
Indeed very nice piece of watch from Seiko. Still put a smile on my face everytime i wear it.

Sent from my Letv X500 using Tapatalk

Offline Willie Ho

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
nice watch, sold out everywhere..

original oyster bracelet is just too dull to match with it, love your custom bracelet, makes the watch looks super high quality..  :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 06:45:04 AM »
Great news to all 017 fans!

It's back. It could be just for a very one-off and kind of last production batch. A lot of Seiko online dealers are selling it now.

Offline Ben07

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 06:58:28 AM »
If Seiko releases the Blue Alpinist not limited to US release than I would be first in line   :Jumping:

Offline geniusbanana96

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
It's one of a kind of watch from Seiko that deserves quite a bit of attention. Any guys here knows where could I look for one?

Offline grennoxs

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 06:45:16 PM »
Anyone knows where I can get the metal bracelet

Offline Watchlover78

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 05:41:47 PM »
Very nice watch.  Can i get it in Malaysia ?

Offline x-1o8-x

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
Very nice watch.  Can i get it in Malaysia ?

there are some resellers that have this model iinm, but price is abit gouging. you can try gnomonwatches actually, call or email them to get some discount codes before you buy
Never Tidur on Tudor

Offline Watchlover78

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »
 :thanks for the info,.  It is troublesome to buy online ? I'm worry about the tax issues...

Offline x-1o8-x

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
:thanks for the info,.  It is troublesome to buy online ? I'm worry about the tax issues...

very easy if from gnomonwatches. tax is 5% if you do get taxed so consider this into your final paid price.
Never Tidur on Tudor

Offline dlmarr

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
A quality watch, really unique and loving mine since I got it.

Offline dlmarr

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 09:18:32 AM »
Hey there, i am new here. Just added the Alpinist to my small collection and i want to change the original leather strap to a steel bracelet. Any ideas where i can get one in KL/PJ or better yet is there any shops that specializes in straps/bracelets so i can see some options? Thanks!

Did you manage to find any places that sell aftermarket bracelets?

Offline Jier

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Do you mind share where you get the braclet and how the quality of the braclet?

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
Great review! Very much agreed and imo one of the greatest hits from the Seiko range. Put it on a strapcode bracelet and the thing turns into a really elegant sport watch!

Sent from my SM-A507FN using Tapatalk

Offline Gary Teong

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 04:37:47 PM »
Just checked Gnomon Watches and it is still available together with my favorite SARB033.