Author Topic: Grand old Tissot  (Read 6481 times)

Offline dualcarb

Grand old Tissot
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »
This beauty came back from the watch repair today and I am chuffed to say the least. It was worn by my grandfather and for as long as I can remember, it was his go to watch. He would wear his Rolex on weekends and this was his daily beater. I don't know when it stopped working. But it was quietly put aside a long long time ago. One fine day, one of my uncles who knew that I appreciated watches took it out from my gramps' drawer. I was told that it wasn't working as it has been sitting there for over ten years. My grandaddy is 96, alive and still kicking. His memory, however is a little off and he no longer remembers much. So I took this watch off to the watch repair in the hopes that it can be restored and made to work.

When the tech tried opening the case back, it was rusted in place and stuck. I left the watch with them anyway and hoped against hope that it might have a chance of being revived.

Well, I got the call from them after three months, I didn't call to rush them as they are busy. My request was not to have it polished and left as original as they can. I wanted the crystal replaced though. The repair guys tried sourcing for a replacement crystal but to no avail. In any event, the watch was serviced and the bracelet repaired.

So here it is in all it's glory...I will cherish this and I smile when I see it on my wrist.

Offline phat7

Re: Grand old Tissot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
You know what! Stories like this keeps my passion going. Great job bringing her back from the land of the dead and forgotten.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »
Thank you. I have been wearing modern watches so much. And the scratches that I have on them are made by me. With the exception of my vintage GS. This one means so much more to me. Knowing that the condition of this watch was history and character which was added by none other than my dear old granddaddy. It really nice to wear a beat up watch every once in a while...

Offline Timeless

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »
Meaningful story, good sharing..

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
Meaningful story, good sharing..
thank you sir

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »
good one bro  :thumbsup:
how about his rolex?

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »
good one bro  :thumbsup:
how about his rolex?
My Grandaddy still wears his Rolex. It will go back to my eldest uncle as he is the one who bought grandaddy that Rolex. And it will then go to my cousin brother, who is my uncle's son. And there it will stay as he also has an appreciation for watches.

Offline jonyeoh94

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »
Love watches with a good story/history behind them

Offline yaptimming

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
That a meaningful story...i own the same model too and took a year to get it running again. Enjoy... lovely watch.

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk

Offline yaptimming

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »
Sharing some tissot love

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Nice...yours even has a day and date indicator.

Offline yaptimming

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »