Author Topic: A wall street guide to watches 2015  (Read 8998 times)

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
A wall street guide to watches 2015
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:41:44 PM »
http://uk.businessinsider.com/a-wall-street-guide-to-watches-2015-8?r=US&IR=T

AN article from the Business Insider Uk article about watch brands:

1. Hublot
If this isn’t a marketing case study, it should be. Born in 1980 with no provenance, Hublot put the ‘whore’ in horology. The brand spent the better part of three decades in obscurity, until Jean Claude Biver took the reins in 2004.

He brought in a new designer, increased the prices to shift the perception of the brand, and focused almost entirely on product placement and celebrity endorsements. As a result, turnover has grown more than ten-fold over the last decade. In other words, the world is full of idiots and Eurotrash bankers.

2. Rolex

To some extent, wearing a Rolex is like driving a BMW 3-series. It says you've got a little bit of money, but nothing interesting to say. It’s a safe, entry-level choice. My starter watch was a Rolex Just Date. It was stolen when I was mugged leaving a bar 3am in London.

You can’t go wrong with a Submariner, GMT or Sea-Dweller. But, when it comes to Wall Street, the must-have Rolex is the stainless steel Daytona. And since there’s a waiting list, the real status symbol is paying retail for it.

Another Wall Street trick is to pick up a vintage Rolex at Christie’s or Bonhams. Make up a story about how your grandfather won it playing backgammon in Paris in 1952. Now your lineage is savvy and rich.

3. Panerai

Panerai was a mediocre Italian government-contract instrument maker until Rambo came along and made it cool, just as oversized watches were gaining in popularity. It’s an action hero watch for the guys who brag about cheating on their wives.

4. IWC

These are the thinking man’s watches, known for their understated style and renowned craftsmanship. These are for the guys who prefer New Balance over Nike and an Audi A8 over a Mercedes S-Class. This also means I probably rather hang out with my dentist than a guy with an IWC on.

This is the watch for the guy who gets cheated on by his wife.

Then the author concluded:

Not wearing a watch is the new Patek…

Wearing a watch is more about conveying a message than it is about telling time.

More important than figuring out what message you want to send is deciding if you want to be seen sending out that message to begin with.

The power move is to have a few watches stuffed away at home, and then, rarely, if ever, wear one.

As my boss once said when a subordinate was showing off a new Rolex Yachtmaster, “I have one of those. I keep it on my yacht.”

Or as Mark Cuban said, “When you control time, you don’t need to know what time it is.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline Swoosh64

• Freshie
Re: A wall street guide to watches 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
Interesting article..thanks for sharing

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline nikfs1881

Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline antoniosaprozeld

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
Oh ya la

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline nikfs1881

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
  have a good weekend!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 06:31:00 AM »
Well wrote
But surprised some gd brand missing

Offline yusszzxx

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
wondering some good review for the least expensive yet famous brand..

Offline Missgrible

A wall street guide to watches 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
Or so it sounds from this review:Creation: The Origin of Life/The Future of Life by Adam Rutherford – review

Offline freakfingers12

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »
Haha interesting article. I wonder how much of it is true.