Author Topic: Import duties and tax on watches and straps  (Read 47546 times)

Offline splee

Re: Import duties and tax on watches and straps
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 08:09:46 PM »

guys sorry to reply to a zombie thread but i need some help.  I am looking to purchase a watch from the US.

I know watches are tax free but will the 6% GST be incurred at customs? This is a JLC reverso I am looking to purchase so every cent counts!

Thanks

Yes you have to pay 6% GST on the declared value of the watch to the Malaysia customs. You can try to reduce the GST by under declaring the value for the watch but that also depends on whether customs believe in your declared value. If they suspect that you under declare the value, they will have their own way to find out he true value of the item.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »
hi, i need some advice from all the watch import sifus here on the forum.   What is the risk level of high end watches (think rolex, JLC range) getting lost/stolen/damaged during shipment if FedEx or DHL is used?

Reading the FedEx website their insurance is only up to USD100. And purchasing additional insurance for the shipment (I think) is only for regular shippers who have an account with FedEx.

Has anyone shipped high end watches internationally (e.g. US) to malaysia and encountered any trouble?

Advice is most welcome. Thanks!

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »
AFAIK, DHL is the best, shipped Rolexes and Pateks to customers before and no problem at all. Furthermore, if im not wrong, i think many high end watch manufactures distribute their watches to AD via DHL & FEDEX. 
Seiko fan.....

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »
Deps on which states, I think Carlifornia's Sales Tax is 9%.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »
AFAIK, DHL is the best, shipped Rolexes and Pateks to customers before and no problem at all. Furthermore, if im not wrong, i think many high end watch manufactures distribute their watches to AD via DHL & FEDEX.

Don't forget third party insurance.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 03:03:35 PM »
Guys thanks for the replies. What is the standard method of payment?  If I wire monies into the sellers account it will be risky yes?

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »
Guys thanks for the replies. What is the standard method of payment?  If I wire monies into the sellers account it will be risky yes?

All reputable sellers online private or commercial accepts and prefers PayPal. It offers peace of mind for both buyer and seller, never ever wire money to a seller.
Seiko fan.....

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »
Guys is there anyway to avoid gst when shipping in the watch? Declaring as gift or something else?  Or do we just need to bite the bullet here.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
sifus, do you normally fully insure your high value watches when shipping in via FedEx or dhl? Is it really needed seeing that it's FedEx or dhl? Thanks

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
sifus, do you normally fully insure your high value watches when shipping in via FedEx or dhl? Is it really needed seeing that it's FedEx or dhl? Thanks

I insure fully, you can request for insurance via FEDEX or DHL. Just pay extra, (anyway i charge it to my customer so.... yeah... ;D
Seiko fan.....

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »

I insure fully, you can request for insurance via FEDEX or DHL. Just pay extra, (anyway i charge it to my customer so.... yeah... ;D

The problem is that in this case I am the customer  :Blue:

I

Offline dpkong

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »

The problem is that in this case I am the customer  :Blue:

I

If it's an expensive item, pay more for insurance. DHL/Fedex does not pay more than $500 for any loss in transit. A good seller will always insure with a third party for the FULL AMOUNT and it will be in the paperwork so no way to avoid Customs on this. For high value items, don't even try to save that little amount.

Some sellers will take Paypal but fees will be borne by the buyer. Depending how well you trust the seller, this may be the route to go. Although I admit I have wired money before to reputable sellers.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »
I ordered a USD300 G-Shock Rangeman for US market, and just received by courier. I was also concerned about taxes and such; but since I have not tried any orders pursuant to the GST and was previously rather active with online purchases from overseas ADs or sellers, I thought that I would give it a try. At least, the tax would not be too high if it was indeed withheld by customs; and factoring in the local GST, it was still cheaper compared to the local pricing of circa RM1,800. Just to share that package arrived okay and with no hassle whatsoever  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 07:53:05 AM »
I ordered a USD300 G-Shock Rangeman for US market, and just received by courier. I was also concerned about taxes and such; but since I have not tried any orders pursuant to the GST and was previously rather active with online purchases from overseas ADs or sellers, I thought that I would give it a try. At least, the tax would not be too high if it was indeed withheld by customs; and factoring in the local GST, it was still cheaper compared to the local pricing of circa RM1,800. Just to share that package arrived okay and with no hassle whatsoever  :thumbsup:

So were you charged GST?
Seiko fan.....

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »
So were you charged GST?

Nope, zilch GST charged.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
So were you charged GST?

Nope, zilch GST charged.

Very interesting. What courier did you use?

Offline wanderlust98

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
i ordered a pre-owned breitling avenger titanium from an online retailer and was charged about RM320 GST including RM50 declaration form. apparently u'll be charged RM50 for a customs form to declare items worth over RM1k. i under declared the watch so i was charged less for GST.

Offline niteowl

Import duties and tax on watches and straps
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:25 AM »
Hmmm, i thought usually when we buy online, the seller need to declare the value on the package and usually it is displayed on the box itself? So i always have the impression that the GST will be based on that amount declared by the seller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »
It was through United Parcel Services of America i.e. UPS. Yes, the GST should be imposed vide the sellers' declaration. I have another 3 purchases incoming so crossing my fingers for smooth deliveries too.

Offline Bill

• Freshie
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »
Purchased a seiko 5 on 12 April from the bay and received notice from seller on 15 April saying that watch shipped and ETA between 22 to 29th April. i anticipate a call from custom or post office asking me to pay the tax  But the watch not even reach me and being return as i check today...... no call at all. i prepared to pay the GST but looks like they are not willing to accept my $$$$ :Blue: :Blue: :Blue: :Blue:

Offline niteowl

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2015, 07:13:10 PM »
Bill, you mean the Courier company (which one did the seller use?) returned the watch without getting in touch with you first?
Very odd case!

Offline Bill

• Freshie
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
yes, they returned the watch without contact me. The seller used Singapore Post, when it came to here is actually our Pos malaysia. 

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
Received two GSD straps last Thurs, shipped via USPS (delivered via Pos Laju) with no additional charges or GST.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
Received two GSD straps last Thurs, shipped via USPS (delivered via Pos Laju) with no additional charges or GST.

How much was the declared value?  I am thinking that gst is only charged after a certain value? Eg I think for Australia there is no gst for imports below aud 1k.

Offline niteowl

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 05:00:24 PM »
Hmmm, my friend recently got a Panerai strap (he said from US) which costs around RM 800 or so. He said he kena GST.
*shrugs

Not sure if this is a luck thing ...