Author Topic: Grand Seiko factory visit in Shiojiri, Nagano producing Spring Drive & Credor  (Read 20949 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Just back to KL late evening today..

Posting up pics by tomoro evening latest..
Now uploading all the pics to photo bucket which will take hours, so should be uploaded by tomorrow morning..

Please check in by tomorrow late evening for pics to be posted to MWF by then..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:12:33 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Grand Seiko factory visit in Shiojiri, Nagano producing Spring Drive & Credor
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:22:33 AM »
Arrived at Shiojiri, Nagano train station..temperature in Shiojiri was between 6 degrees to -1…that's why I'm all layered up..

Waiting for a cab outside Shiojiri station

Taking a cab to Epson Seiko, a 2 km ride costs Yen 1,300 (RM 40+)

Arriving at Epson Seiko factory

Welcome shot at the lobby- its so cool that the SBGC003 that I happen to be wearing today, amongst all my GS is used as a display for the main banners in the lobby

Some shots taken beside the display cases in the lobby

The Spring Drive Space Walk, Landmaster Miura Limited Edition and Tuna, all designed by Hoshino-san…
I've got the Spring Drive gold Tuna.. now to get hold of the other 2...

Hoshino-san & Hosokawa-san saying Ichiban….

Briefing on history of Seiko in Epson Seiko Shiojiri's mini museum… the main museum is at another location

First quartz clock explanation by Imai-san, the senior team leader conducting the briefing…

How Spring Drive works

Display of historical Seiko & Grand Seiko watches kept in mint condition

NOTE: One of the ladies' diamond encrusted watch in the last picture costs Yen 300 Million which was produced for the Empress of Japan many years back…. just imagine the cost today...

Entering the Takumi workshop

Their team of top watch makers

Japanese government's award for watch making competition- gold, silver and bronze winners by GS watchmakers

Meeting Keiko-san, the team leader and watch maker of the SBGC003, one of the GS in my collection…a very humble and nice lady who kept thanking me for buying the watch she and her team produces...

Moteki-san in charge of the Micro Artist Studio (producing the Credor Minute Repeater, Sonnerie, Credor enamel, porcelain and hand engraved dial models) explaining the workings of both watches and the making of the other Credor hand engraved and Noritake porcelain dial watches. He insisted that I should try out both the Minute Repeater and Sonnerie both on and off the wrist to hear and and feel the vibrations of the Myochin metal gongs… heavenly
Moteki-san also informed me that Philippe Dufour was invited to Seiko to share his expertise on how he executes his fine finishing techniques, which was then adopted by Grand Seiko. This I already read about a long time ago and was now confirmed by the horse's mouth…

At more than RM 1 Million dollars each, these 2 watches will have to remain beyond my reach….

A group picture with the senior engineers/project team leaders, designers involved in all the Grand Seiko models..
Imai-san (senior team leader GS production), Hoshino-san (designer of Spring Drive Tuna, Space Walk, Landmaster Miura Limited, Seiko Izul, etc), Moteki-san (Head of Micro Artist Studio), Hosokawa-san (Project Team leader of various projects including the GS SD SBGC series).

A bonus was that all 4 of them autographed 1 set of the latest GS catalogue for me.

Hoshino-san specially autographed the page of the Spring Drive Tuna Limited Edition that he designed and owned by me.
He was very delighted that 4 MWF members own this Limited Edition watch designed by him knowing that each country received only between 2-4 pieces each.

Hosokawa-san gave me a souvenir, a different version dial of the SBGC003 I own (the gift was a glossy dial whereas my watch has a matt dial). Will take a macro pic and post up subsequently…

From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank Imai-san, Hoshino-san, Moteki-san and Hosokawa-san for taking time off their very busy schedules to conduct the powerpoint presentation, answering questions, conducting the factory tours, allowing me to take pics although there were very prominent signs forbidding taking pics at every corner of the factory.

I am deeply honored by their humbleness and kindness throughout the entire 3.5 hour tour and their genuine warmness is very obvious. Their immense pride and seriousness in approaching their work is contagious. I am proud to own the product of their meticulous and detailed work. Ganbatte…. :Cheers:

A final picture outside Epson Seiko with some GS catalogues given to me..

I was allowed to take pics of their production rooms and processes but I've promised to get clearance from Imai-san before I post them up…

Although I took more than 100 pics,  a lot of pics have yet to be posted up but my photo bucket account is now locked as I've reached my limit.
Do re-visit to get more detailed updates from time to time….

I'm still busy unpacking and need to run errands before starting work tomorrow so time limits me to posting up these few pics first with very brief comments...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:11:34 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

Well done Jo, I think u r now even more poisoned by GS :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:14:04 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline davidtth

woa.. the credor moonphase and node, i would have buy it off if i were there !

i suppose all photo was taken from her? not bad ! i'm sure this is your bday present she gave to you ?  ;D

you seems like "loosing soul" when hearing the Credor Minute Repeater  :Laughing_on_floor:

still, the SD space is my holy grill  :Praying:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:14:23 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
None of the watches are for sale and the Moonphase is no more in production. I would have bought both if they were available.
There are 2 other hand engraved skeleton dial Credors which I will post up later.. beautiful handiwork...

;D I had to train my official photographer on the basic techniques for weeks such as keeping the vertical/horizontal lines straight, rule of thirds, exposure, composition.
Told her that she had to get this 1 time opportunity right... ::)
Anyway those pics where I am in was taken by her, the others were taken by me… ;D

The Minute Repeater & Sonnerie gongs are heavenly….. I have heard the JLC and VC versions as well…the reverberations, pitch are very different...

woa.. the credor moonphase and node, i would have buy it off if i were there !
i suppose all photo was taken from her? not bad ! i'm sure this is your bday present she gave to you ?  ;D

you seems like "loosing soul" when hearing the Credor Minute Repeater  :Laughing_on_floor:

still, the SD space is my holy grill  :Praying:

Hi Eric,
I've been a GS fan (amongst a few other true manufactures) for many years.
My next visit will be the Morioka factory next year producing the GS mechanical movements including their excellent 36,000 vph hi-beat calibre
I also plan to visit the GO & JLC factories subsequently in years ahead…..

Well done Jo, I think u r now even more poisoned by GS :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:16:43 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline davidtth

the credor node was like 73k USD and minute repeater is more than 400k USD, those are only can be dream...

she did the good job! at least no hand shaking  ;D

a dial for your SD chrono? i wonder how you can change it youself ?  :o

do post more pix, cant wait to see more, next time go Japan die die must visit there
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:16:24 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Tq Jos for sharing with us

Wonderful trip. How I wish I can be there.

And I now very regret for not getting the spring drive moonphase

Do let me know ur next trip... I don't mind to be ur photographer next round
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:15:59 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline sean

thanks for sharing Jos, a nice report and photo as always.

I do agree with Chris, perhaps we should arrange a group trip next year , I think it should be fun.

The minute repeater is simply gorgeous , Is a way beyond my reach, so as a consolation I do hope can see it in metal some days.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:15:35 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline euclidorus

Jos, you looked like a happy boy in a toy store. The minute repeater looks great on you - I hope to be able to check it out in a future gtg. Great report! Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:15:16 PM by JOS2012 »
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline sidestreaker

Jos, this post makes my day!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you for spreading the virus and looking forward to my next Seiko!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:15:00 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Eye opening report. Must have had a great time. Thanks for the report.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:14:43 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Thanks Ivan. Yes, a great priceless experience.
The Shiojiri visit alone was worth my trip to Japan…

Eye opening report. Must have had a great time. Thanks for the report.

Glad you enjoyed the simple write-up and also that Seiko appeals to you..

Jos, this post makes my day!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you for spreading the virus and looking forward to my next Seiko!

Exactly my emotions.. it was 1 big toy shop to me…too bad the toys are not available and also out of my reach.
BTW there's no way I can afford the Sonnerie or Repeater..
Jos, you looked like a happy boy in a toy store. The minute repeater looks great on you - I hope to be able to check it out in a future gtg. Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Most welcome. Since you're also a GS fan, I'm glad to share the experience…
Let's see if the Morioka trip can materialize next year. At RM 1 Million the repeater is out of reach for almost all of us in MWF.

thanks for sharing Jos, a nice report and photo as always.

I do agree with Chris, perhaps we should arrange a group trip next year , I think it should be fun.

The minute repeater is simply gorgeous , Is a way beyond my reach, so as a consolation I do hope can see it in metal some days.

Welcome. Being another GS fan, I'm glad to share the experience.

Tq Jos for sharing with us

Wonderful trip. How I wish I can be there.

And I now very regret for not getting the spring drive moonphase

Do let me know ur next trip... I don't mind to be ur photographer next round

Yes the repeater and sonnerie is out of reach for most of us.
The dial is for souvenir la not to be used… ;D
need to clear my photo bucket of old pics before can upload more.
BTW the SARX017 even after GST refund is more than RM 1,300 and I only saw 1 piece at Yodobashi when I was looking for the Fuji XE-2. So didn't get it for you.

the credor node was like 73k USD and minute repeater is more than 400k USD, those are only can be dream...
she did the good job! at least no hand shaking  ;D

a dial for your SD chrono? i wonder how you can change it youself ?  :o

do post more pix, cant wait to see more, next time go Japan die die must visit there
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:52:50 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline Alvin-8880

Thx for the great report, Joseph.  :thumbsup:

I am always impressed by Credor watches, thx for all the pics on Credor.

Offline dualcarb

What a great write up and editorial of the place. Thank you for the pictures and taking the time for posting this up for the rest of us to enjoy.

DC

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
nice report and nice watches~! tq for sharing~!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Great report, and so lucky of you to get a visit inside the Seiko factory.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
This is what MWF is all about - sharing - I don't think I would ever get the opportunity to visit such a place but through such a visual report, it felt that I have.

Well done!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:38:24 PM by chrisyen »
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Totally agreed  ;D ;D ;D
Seiko fan.....

Offline JPSP

my goodness...this is soooo cool!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline apophoto

A facinating write-up on the fabulous GS series.

I aslo happen to be equally attracted by the photographs which I believe to have been taken by your Leica with the 'bug-eye' 35mm Summicron/Summilux ? Just curious which model you brought for this trip. The digital M8/9 or current M240? Or maybe even the older film M6?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
I didn't expect anyone to be still reading this old thread.

Thanks..apophoto
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm using a Fuji X-Pro 1 and an XE-1. The camera on me is the XE-1 with a 14mm
I have a M3 with several Summilux, Summarits, Summicrons but too troublesome to shoot film on such a trip.

A facinating write-up on the fabulous GS series.

I aslo happen to be equally attracted by the photographs which I believe to have been taken by your Leica with the 'bug-eye' 35mm Summicron/Summilux ? Just curious which model you brought for this trip. The digital M8/9 or current M240? Or maybe even the older film M6?

thanks James, Jeep, Meor,am_sober, dualcarb, Alvin..

my goodness...this is soooo cool!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Totally agreed  ;D ;D ;D

This is what MWF is all about - sharing - I don't think I would ever get the opportunity to visit such a place but through such a visual report, it felt that I have.
Well done!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nice report and nice watches~! tq for sharing~!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What a great write up and editorial of the place. Thank you for the pictures and taking the time for posting this up for the rest of us to enjoy.
DC

Thx for the great report, Joseph.  :thumbsup:
I am always impressed by Credor watches, thx for all the pics on Credor.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:36:38 PM by JOS2012 »