Author Topic: Re-lume  (Read 28698 times)

Offline bezelnut

Re-lume
« on: August 20, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Is there such a thing as re-lume a watch? Planning to revive the lume of an old vintage. Nothing fancy or tritium, and watch from a company that's no longer exist nor remembered, thus sending back to factory is not an option.

Looking for the cheapest option too, as watch is dead cheap, not worth spending big money restoring it. I'll even take DIY as an option.  :angel:

Anyone have experience or knowledge of where/how this can be done?

Sidenote for mods: Not sure where to put this thread, if not apropriate, please move it accordingly.

Offline kcgan

Re: Re-lume
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
I personally don't like to relume vintage watches.. Keep it in original condition (if wasn't too bad)  :)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »
it can be done in msia for sure
even tritium is available still
other option is mixing the color to match the age....

diy is not easy... u need to open the case, remove the crown, movement, hands...
mixing the correct portion of luminous compound n binder, apply it before it dry, technic of applying it....

i did some rough job on bezel... just filled in engraved sunken area...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,30.msg18369.html#msg18369

tough

Offline Yoda

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:18 AM »
I know of that's one very popular from other forum. But it should be costly, try search for International Watch Works. I have not try though

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »
I personally don't like to relume vintage watches.. Keep it in original condition (if wasn't too bad)  :)
I'd read about re-lume will hurt the resale value very badly, so it's better to keep is as original. However, since I'm working with a watch which already has no value left, also no emotional string attached, I'm with a mind-set to try something different, to experiment, to have a re-lume project.

Thanks for the advise btw.

it can be done in msia for sure
even tritium is available still
other option is mixing the color to match the age....

diy is not easy... u need to open the case, remove the crown, movement, hands...
mixing the correct portion of luminous compound n binder, apply it before it dry, technic of applying it....

i did some rough job on bezel... just filled in engraved sunken area...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,30.msg18369.html#msg18369

tough

Thanks so much. I'd searched this forum for such topic before, but somehow did not come across your thread.

You'd inspired me, and also make me more daring to try re-lume myself. The diy job must have been a lot of fun.

Btw, cannot find the noticlume website you'd mentioned. However, I do found watchlume, where they sell something like "lume paste" in a syringe, on their site & Ebay too. I cannot visit Jln Sultan, as I'm from Sarawak. Wonder any shop near Kuching sell these powder? Also, beside the powder & binder, do I need other chemicals?

I know of that's one very popular from other forum. But it should be costly, try search for International Watch Works. I have not try though

Thanks. I read about IWW too, also another guy call Kent Park, also doing restoration work, but as I'm not restoring anything valuable, not wise to spend so much and send the watch abroad. Still many thanks for the info.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »

Anyone have experience or knowledge of where/how this can be done?

I am with kcgan on this. Vintage pieces should be left as they are. IMHO, re-luming (however skilfully executed) just removes the vintage feel from the watch. If the re-luming is unskilfully executed, the end effect could be more disappointing.

Perhaps you can post a pic of the watch you wish to get re-lumed.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:24:03 AM by Enkidu »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
Msia hv a famous dial refinish master
Best quality n best price as well

DIY is fun... Do it with ur cheaper watch...
Not sure swak can get lume compound!

Even Jln sultan one only carry burgeon lume... Which not that good to my knowledge!

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
I am with kcgan on this. Vintage pieces should be left as they are. IMHO, re-luming (however skilfully executed) just removes the vintage feel from the watch. If the re-luming is unskilfully executed, the end effect could be more disappointing.

Perhaps you can post a pic of the watch you wish to get re-lumed.  ;)

Thanks for the advise. Will post a pic when I'm free.

Msia hv a famous dial refinish master
Best quality n best price as well

DIY is fun... Do it with ur cheaper watch...
Not sure swak can get lume compound!

Even Jln sultan one only carry burgeon lume... Which not that good to my knowledge!

Noted. I'll find my supply online i guess.

Yeah, I enjoy DIY a lot too. Have my fair share of DIY's in daily living. I guess I now bring this practice into watches too.  :D

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
Halo my friend...finally got your dream watch...please post some photos :Cheers:

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
Btw the DIY lume paste cost about USD 15-25 only at Ebay.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
Thanks. Before getting lume paste, I should get myself watch repair kit 1st.  ;D

Will post pic later. That day already promised to post, but forget to take pictures.

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »
Haha...take your time cause i will be waiting ;D

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »
Enkidu & Tet, sorry for long wait. Here's a few shot of my watch. Just arrived home, grab camera, shoot & post.  ;D

As you can see, the two hands supposed to have lume, but had since deteriorated. The minute hand is now nothing more than a hole.
Cropped for a better look at the two hands.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
i wouldnt hesitate in luming the hands, tho i leave the dial alone.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
Thanks for the input, truly appreciate it.

I'm not going to do anything to the dial, mainly because I have totally no idea what to do with it.  :laugh:

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:45 AM »
Congrats !!! Like the marker and hands plus the date at the bottom...very unique.  Assume you got it from Ebay.  Please show me more pics after your experiment :Cheers:

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
Thanks. I bought it because of the adorable small day window too.

Will update after tools arrive.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
actually im wondering how are the hands going to be lumed?
there isnt a cavity for it, just a empty slot.
or has the bottom of the cavity on the minute hand dissapeared?

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
I don't know, maybe originally the lume filled the hole I guess, or maybe it just rust through.

Either way, I'll have to open up the watch and take out the hand to really know what is what. Problem is the tools are still in route shipping.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Regarding how the lume will stick, I think I'll have to improvise along the way. Maybe to rebuild the bottom of the cavity.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
Nice old beauty. Love the day window.

For me, I wouldnt relume it as the new colour might look at odds with the vintage feel of the watch.

But if it's for your testing and experiment, hmmm... cant you use another not so nice watch? haha
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the compliment.

Do you have some not so nice watch laying around? Can give them to me? I don't mind to carry out experiment with them. haha. ;D

Joking aside, yeah, the lume color probably will not match up, but I cannot live with it's "empty" hand either. I must find something to patch up the hole. Dilemma again.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »
To apply lume on hands like this

It's done at the back of the hand

Offline spryken

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
DIY is not an easy job I guess, I would recommend to ask those master to do it.
Lume the hands again would be a good move  ;)

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 08:20:02 AM »
Morning Bezelnut...your tools arrived ?  Sometimes, its nice to DIY but eventually when you are stuck than you will be cursing and later will send it to experience watch repairer.  I am good in taking things off too but when come to fixing it back, there will be some nuts left behind :HammerHead:  Just an advice but if you can manage to DIY than later we can talk some business term.  My Sifu cannot cope up with my need to repair so need your assistance instead.  Dont charge me too expensive can liau :Laughing_on_floor: