Poll

Which watch would you choose for yourself?...and why?

JLC Grande Reverso Duoface
26 (50%)
IWC Portofino 8 days hand wound
12 (23.1%)
Glashutte Panomaticlunar
9 (17.3%)
Glashutte Panoinverse XL
5 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: JLC vs. IWC vs. Glashutte  (Read 32423 times)

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
Re: JLC vs. IWC
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »
I was just handling that very JLC reverso last week at a boutique and I must say it is quite impressive (coming from an IWC fan here and I own that very 8 days Portofino too).

I agree with Godzillaz that these are 2 very different watches and you are really comparing durian and rambutan here. One of the reason I went for the Port 8 days was because I never have the liking for rectangular-like watch case, and that's really it. You really need to try it on an let us know what you feel about them.

Anyway, here's my bias opinion: Go for the IWC Portofino 8 days, it makes a better statement, unique, and carries much more character, great for formal and casual wear, durable and very stable movement, makes head turn everytime. It may not be as 'fine' as the JLC reverso and cannot match the quality pedigree of movement, but heck, it makes a louder statement and has lot more fun-factor IMO. It's a good balance of a not too bad manufacturer movement and great visual impression and aesthetic. Just my dua sen...

Does your 8 days suffer accuracy problem?

Offline Peiseh

Re: JLC vs. IWC vs. Glashutte
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
The Panomaticlunar would be my choice. Both contemporary (off-center time telling hrs.& secs) and heritage looking (lunar display) traditionally time telling watch round.
Its blacked background facia is clean and yet elegant looking with sprinkles of chrome indicators. It shows off the fine craftmanships of the watch.

Beautiful.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
Why no Rolex? I am in a wrong forum? ??? ??? ???

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
JOS should be chipping in soon since he is an owner of the Glashutte Panomatic IIRC.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »

Of course it does! It's not IWC if it is not faster! :P It's +6 sec per day.

However it is very precise. It is consistently 6/7 sec per day, irregardless of activity. Meaning that after regulation, it should be spot on. I'll only send it for regulation  during maintenance service right before the warranty is over. That way I'll get other 'freebie' service along with it.  ;D

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »

The Panomaticlunar

NOW you're talking! That GO Panomatic Lunar is worth the attention!

Here's another suggestion:

the PanoReserve is one of my favourite GO

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »
Any bro (or sis  ;D) can PM me the best place to buy a GO and the best discount for it. Thanks!  :Cheers:

Offline sean

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »
Any bro (or sis  ;D) can PM me the best place to buy a GO and the best discount for it. Thanks!  :Cheers:

Mind to pm me as well, the Panoinverse XL really nice, thanks in advance :Cheers:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 07:50:44 PM »
The Panomaticlunar would be my choice. Both contemporary (off-center time telling hrs.& secs) and heritage looking (lunar display) traditionally time telling watch round.
Its blacked background facia is clean and yet elegant looking with sprinkles of chrome indicators. It shows off the fine craftmanships of the watch.

Beautiful.

bullseye!  :thumbsup:

by the way Yikkie, I encourage you to do more research...you're definitely in the process of more self-poisoning (good luck!!)....maybe you'll also look at Lange 1?  :Cheers: :Cheers:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:52:39 PM by JPSP »

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I would personally take the JLC. Reason being simple enough, it is the most recognizable of the shortlisted. At a quick glance on your wrist, I would instantly correlate the rectangular watch case with Reverso. The rest does not have that 'strength' and needs more time to create an identity tHat can be recognizable at an instant.

That's only my humble opinion and hope it does not offend others.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 09:52:14 PM »
I heard hanz calling...

Yes I have GO's including the Panomatic Lunar..you can refer to this link.

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,332.msg64904.html#msg64904

I also happen to have a few JLCs including a Reverso Grande GMT

Both JLCs & GOs are distinctly very different watches and I love watches from both these manufactures equally but yet differently.

About the JLC, not all wrists can take a Reverso due to its flat rectangular base. I suggest you try it out before going any further.
My missus loves the ladies Reverso but the watch just doesn't sit nicely on her wrist as her wrist is more rounded whereas mine is quite flat.
So as much as she loves a Reverso and wants 1, she has to settle for watches from other manufactures...

In terms of quality both of them are beyond reproach. I've always been a JLC fan since I was young but only started to own a few since early 2000.

I started buying GO's only lately and their 3/4 plate designs are unique to German movements like Lange/GO. I would say that finishing and aesthetically the GO is a step higher than JLC but JLC have far more calibres and complications than GO.

As for IWC , I have a ceramic Top Gun Chrono. I would say that of the 3, the IWC is the most industrial looking whereas the JLC and GO are more refined. I use the IWC for outdoor, sweaty and sporty activities. The JLC & GO is more for weekend indoor, casual side cafe coffee/beer sipping activities.

Regarding the Portofino 8 days HW, I nearly pulled the trigger on the blue dial model at IWC Boutique Pavilion but something about the small balance wheel in a big pocket watch calibre put me off.... but that's just me and my personal feelings.....

You can't go wrong with either. I wouldnt give up a JLC for a GO and vice versa.
I have however many times in the past chosen a GO over an IWC whenever I was looking for a specific complication.
I'd have GO & JLC and GS to complement each other and to suit the time and occasion......

To answer the q on GO, I got one GO from the The Hour Glass Singapore and another GO from THG Pavilion. AFAIK GO is only sold by THG group in Malaysia/Singapore.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:42:57 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline woundcaremd

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
even thou I'm a huge JLC fan, the Glashutte open back movement and dial design I think edges out the JLC this time around
Child Neurologist and the Director of Pediatric Brain Center at world renowned Children's Hospital

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 11:06:29 PM »
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback! You guys are really the best!  :Cheers:  I have tried all 4 watches and seem to like them all! I really like the AP Royal Oak as well but unfortunately, my budget could not be stretched that far. My wrist is relatively flat and the Reverso seems to sit pretty ok on it. I might just pull the trigger on the Reverso but the Lunar is a pretty awesome watch as well. The finishing and the swan neck regulator coupled with the 3 1/4 plate is pretty enticing. Damn. I might just need to flip a coin after all .  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:13:35 PM by Yikkie »

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »
I think the finishing are model specific for GO and JLC. The price is another determine factor. Try a 8 days reverso with the Panoinverse. Then is better a comparison.

Regard
Tyler
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:27:23 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
Out of the 3, I will choose JLC, simply because it is a classic. I was told that one's watch collection is never complete without a reverso.

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
The Reverso is an icon. I will go with the Reverso.
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT
Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT
Omega Seamaster 300m
JLC Master Control Chronograph
JLC Master Compressor Diving Alarm Navy SEALs

Offline Khairul

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
The Portofino 8 Days is easily my choice due to its classic dial and beautiful strap, not to mention IWC beautiful hand wound calibre on this watch. Although can be astounding on the wrist due to its size, I like it that way. 8)

Offline davidtth

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »
since u pull in the GO, i'd go for pano non-XL blue moonphase :)

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »

Of course it does! It's not IWC if it is not faster! :P It's +6 sec per day.

However it is very precise. It is consistently 6/7 sec per day, irregardless of activity. Meaning that after regulation, it should be spot on. I'll only send it for regulation  during maintenance service right before the warranty is over. That way I'll get other 'freebie' service along with it.  ;D

IWC actually stands for "Inaccurate Watch Company".... :laugh:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 09:35:47 AM »
IWC actually stands for "Inaccurate Watch Company".... :laugh:
:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ssss

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
JLC.. richer heritage and characteristic. In addition, the uniqueness of REVERSO make it a timeless classic.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
My mind is almost made up.  The force with the Reverso is strong.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
Hi Yikkie, not everyone will like a square or rectangular watch. My pick is of course the grande reverso with its manly size n dual face n one movement.Just try it on n really feel it before buying it .
Out of the 3, I will choose JLC, simply because it is a classic. I was told that one's watch collection is never complete without a reverso.
It should be one's collection ain't complete without a JLC  or rather  Have you ever worn a real watch. Regards tony.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:32:02 PM by tonykpk »

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 07:18:37 AM »
It should be one's collection ain't complete without a JLC  or rather  Have you ever worn a real watch. Regards tony.

No, I have not worn a reverso, or see one in real life. I would really want to thou. Perhaps I'll wait for a gathering, that should be my best bet. Or do anyone know anyplace I can try it on in Kuching? No boutique or AD as far as I know.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
Have you tried the dealer at Sarawak Plaza?