Author Topic: Jeager-LeCourtre Master Calander (version 2017)  (Read 10584 times)

Offline lowengen

Jeager-LeCourtre Master Calander (version 2017)
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Good day all,

Yet again, another watch review. Today, I would like to share one of my latest purchase, the JLC Master Calander.

First of all, a little intro for JLC. One of my favourite quote from JLC video, "Somewhere, in life's journey, one perceives every myth has its origins".. JLC was first founded in 1844, with many great histories of watchmaking (we r not here for history lesson rite?), it has now become one of the top 10 watch brands in the world.

Onwards to the watch itself... The packaging is rather simple, with an outer layer box, and an inner layer box with the instructions manual under it.

The watch itself has a case diameter of 39mm, and approximate 10mm height. Size wise, many would say that it is too small, as current trend seems to be more onto 40mm to 42mm. However, to me, as a classy dress watch, the size is just nice (perfect match for my small wrist anyway).

The case is FULLY mirror polished (very highly polished if you ask me) and thus, is kinda scratch magnet.. On the dial, a silver sunray brushed with some hint of red (date pointer) and gold (moon phase), making reading it absolutely easy, and looks incredible under the sunlight. Comes with a pull crown engraved with the JL emblem. This model is the never version (with power reserve indicator removed), thus comes with a full calander function (day, date, month, moon phase), which i find it more attractive compared to the older version, no offence.

The watch comes with a croc leather and a butterfly clasp with the JL emblem.

On the case back, you can see the movement, which is JLC's in-house caliber 866/1. As most automatic watches, this model has a 42 hours power reserve, and beats at 28,800 per hour. JLC has been well known to make high end and very accurate watches, proven by the 1,000 hours in-house testings. JLC do not get a COSC, as they believe their 1,000 hours testing is way beyond the requirements of COSC. If you see the picture, the one i have has a full gold plated rotor. This full gold plated rotor is the latest, version 2017, compared to the previous version, as found in their website, with slight gold, and slight decorations.

Accuracy wise, over the span of 7 days, 1st day was -4 secs, 2nd day was -3 secs, 3rd and 4th, -2 secs, 5th day 0 variation, 6 and 7th day +2 sec. I compare the variations with www.timeanddate.com. As you can see, well within COSC, or maybe better than, standards.

Price wise, it retails for about RM39,500 (you can get some discounts depending on your boutique or ADs). The watch comes with different variants as well, such as with the meteorite dial, and the gold case (both at higher price). Honestly, for this price, a top 10 brand, full calander function, great accuracy and nice looking, is really worth buy.

Overall, i won't say this is the nicest watch out there, or even within my collection, i have nicer looking ones. However, brand wise, movement wise, function wise, as mentioned, a really worth buy. A nice looking non-dying classic dress watch.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:39:26 AM by lowengen »

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
Re: Jeager-LeCourtre Master Calander (version 2017)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
Thanks for taking time to write the review. And congratulations on the purchase!

Ive always liked JLC as a brand but so far havent found one which I really want.

Can I ask, what other watches were you considering  before going for this?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline lowengen

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »
Thanks for taking time to write the review. And congratulations on the purchase!

Ive always liked JLC as a brand but so far havent found one which I really want.

A few in selection..

Omega Aqua Terra
Omega Globemaster
IWC 7 days Auto
Glashutte Original Panomatic Luna

After long consideration, the list shortern to only either GO Panomatic Luna or JLC Master Calander..

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »

A few in selection..

Omega Aqua Terra
Omega Globemaster
IWC 7 days Auto

After long consideration, the list shortern to only either GO Panomatic Luna or JLC Master Calander..
sweet list..the GO is definitely a beauty. dress watch with a modern twist

Offline lowengen

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »

A few in selection..

Omega Aqua Terra
Omega Globemaster
IWC 7 days Auto

sweet list..the GO is definitely a beauty. dress watch with a modern twist

Agreed.. but after testing both, the GO's large white "blank" area is juz too.. empty.. lol

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
I see. I kinda like the dial, the emptiness didnt bug me that much.

The asymmetrical dial is nicely balanced..but..but..for a dress watch, its abit too thick at 12.7mm

Now, if they can find a way to make it thinner..

Offline artyca

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:51:12 PM »
Thanks for the review of a very classy dress watch. JLC surely knows how to make a damn fine watch!

Offline hamidik

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »
Very nice review of a lovely watch.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »
One of the few quintessential models of JLC and its fine watch-making. You're a man of impeccable taste. Enjoy it in good health.

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »
Nice watch OP. Currently I'm also considering the Master Calander and the Pano lunar as my next purchase.

I have taken a look at the Master Calender last weekend and it's such a beauty. Shame there isn't any GO shops in Penang.

Does anyone know what are the price of Pano Lunar in Malaysia? And where can I take a look at them? I know they have a shop at KLCC.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline cubangang

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
The white dial has a very good blend with the metal body, it makes the watch looks simple backed up with a vintage vibes. The watch is from JLC anyways, couldnt expect less.  ;)

Offline cubangang

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »
loving the white face with that metal mody

Offline Chris

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
always wanted a jaeger =) very nice watch indeed

Offline hansome

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »
nice watch and review! too bad JLC power reserve are on the low side, can't leave it alone through the weekend

Offline Arcule

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
very nice watch, but it looks even better in gold!!!! but it gonna be a pain in the arse for getting gold lollll :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline yhanlee

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 04:06:16 PM »
Ho

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »
Congrats on the beautiful watch! Just got a JLC MC myself and loving it everyday more and more!
IG : watchstories.my

Offline Dantbk

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
Nice classic dress watch.
I do feel the meteorite dial to be more eye catching. Are they selling at same price?