Author Topic: Import duties and tax on watches and straps  (Read 47542 times)

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
Re: Import duties and tax on watches and straps
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
No value declared. Item was not insured, and shipping via USPS was $46. Possibly one of the reasons why there was no GST imposed. Description was simply "Straps".

Offline splee

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 09:40:11 PM »
The way I see it is customs is doing a random check. So if your parcel catches their eyes when going through the scanner then they will channel it to the red lane for further checking and the rest will go through the green lane for delivery. GST will only be imposed on those parcel that got detained in the red lane. So it depends on your luck. If you are lucky, your parcel will get through the green lane and you don't have to pay GST.

Offline keanewoon

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 09:41:51 PM »
Bot a gshock and shipped from hong kong. Seller declare value is usd30. No kena gst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
My JLC came in and I got taxed GST 6% on the dot.  Courier used was DHL. They called me up before it even reached malaysia and asked if it was ok on the GST. Generally pretty smooth process.

Offline sean

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »
My JLC came in and I got taxed GST 6% on the dot.  Courier used was DHL. They called me up before it even reached malaysia and asked if it was ok on the GST. Generally pretty smooth process.

How do you paiy the gst ? Pay b4 the parcel arrive or pay when they deliver?

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »

How do you paiy the gst ? Pay b4 the parcel arrive or pay when they deliver?

Just pay the delivery guy cash or cheque

Offline mijey85

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
My Schaumburg also had to pay 6% gst. The courier is fedex and reached malaysia handled by Gdex.

Offline shahkl2u

• Freshie
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Hi...stupid question from me as I quite confused on this GST tax 6% on the watch import. Anyone can explain base on what the GST charged..is it on the watch price? Like if the seller put $300 so our GST based on that declaration? Thanks.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »

Hi...stupid question from me as I quite confused on this GST tax 6% on the watch import. Anyone can explain base on what the GST charged..is it on the watch price? Like if the seller put $300 so our GST based on that declaration? Thanks.
Yes based on the value declared.

Offline shahkl2u

• Freshie
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »
Tq ck77

Offline adrianlcp

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »
Tax free, just 6% gst of total value including shipping.

Offline beeman101

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
Any what the duties currently are to import a usd 500 dollar watch? Is it gst 6% still?

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2017, 02:58:21 AM »
Any what the duties currently are to import a usd 500 dollar watch? Is it gst 6% still?
No other duties except GST

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Timeless

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:57 AM »

GST amount will based on the declared value.

Offline beeman101

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »

But if the seller uses Fedex, will they charge some additional charges on this side?

Offline epsilon82

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »

But if the seller uses Fedex, will they charge some additional charges on this side?
FEDEX will add their standard shipping fee on top of the watch/strap actual amount. And the standard shipping charges they impose is higher than what you actually paid for. I experienced this from Steinhart watch purchase.. The shipping fee is about 30 euro from Steinhart and FEDEX Malaysia imposed a higher shipping charges fee for GST calculation purpose.. 

Offline psychokandy

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
just to share my experienced on buying from overseas to the OP. So far I have purchased watches and straps from Singapore and Japan and I have not imposed with any tax or GST so far....I hope the customs are not reading this posting here. The only GST i got charged was for my Seiko Tuna from Japan. Probably because of the higher cost.
~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline kettle

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
just to share my experienced on buying from overseas to the OP. So far I have purchased watches and straps from Singapore and Japan and I have not imposed with any tax or GST so far....I hope the customs are not reading this posting here. The only GST i got charged was for my Seiko Tuna from Japan. Probably because of the higher cost.

hi there! May I know which courier did you choose to ship from japan? Is it necessary that i choose DHL instead of japan EMS(pos malaysia) ? Looking for my first JDM... i can't wait to have it haha!

Offline Cocas

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

hi there! May I know which courier did you choose to ship from japan? Is it necessary that i choose DHL instead of japan EMS(pos malaysia) ? Looking for my first JDM... i can't wait to have it haha!

You are buying from Seiya too?

Offline kettle

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »

You are buying from Seiya too?

yup! planning to buy from Seiya, any experience buying from them and ship to malaysia?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
Hi @kettle bro.

I just placed my order last night. I didn't choose DHL. :laugh:

Will update you guys once I receive the watch.

Offline kettle

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »
Hi @kettle bro.

I just placed my order last night. I didn't choose DHL. :laugh:

Will update you guys once I receive the watch.

Wow nice @cocas ! Ok will wait for your update ;) I'm just worried about the customs part and 6% gst hassle.

Offline psychokandy

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »

i bought from Higuchi and Rakuten but that year a couple years ago. Most recent purchase from Japan was Tuna (old generation) back in 2015 and was imposed with 6% GST and this was from Rakuten
~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline kettle

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:30 PM »

i bought from Higuchi and Rakuten but that year a couple years ago. Most recent purchase from Japan was Tuna (old generation) back in 2015 and was imposed with 6% GST and this was from Rakuten

i see i see thank you psychokandy seems unavoidable haha, i shall wait for @cocas's news for his purchase form seiya ;)

Offline Cocas

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
@kettle

Seiya just sent me an update on my parcel via email!

Nice service :thumbsup: