Author Topic: Rolex prices are getting exorbitant these 1-2 yrs  (Read 12988 times)

Offline benaukk

Rolex prices are getting exorbitant these 1-2 yrs
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »
Hi guys and all sifus.... Wanna get all of your opinions. No wrong and no right.

Knowing that recently Rolex prices are increasing rapidly especially submariner and GMT (All Sports models), prices reviews alare almost in weekly changes...
my questions is

1)Will there be a bubble or correction in prices?

2)Shall I jump into the ship if I don't want to miss out the opportunity?

Thanks n Appreciate yr inputs in advance...:)

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Rolex prices are getting exorbitant these 1-2 yrs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
Are you talking about grey market price or retail price?
There is no bubble if you buy in retail price.

Offline elado249

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:06 PM »
But it is almost impossible to buy one walk in at any retailers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline benaukk

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »
Are you talking about grey market price or retail price?
There is no bubble if you buy in retail price.
Grey market and pre owned prices bro....sorry forgotten to mention...8P

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »
It's basic economics....demand exceeds supply.

In a normal market, supply will increase to match demand. But Rolex has decided to limit supplies, either due to its own strategies or its incapacity to increase supply of watches in hot demand. This is further complicated by the fact that Rolex has rules that insists the ADs cannot sell at a premium. As such ADs will lose additional profit by selling at MSRP when the market prices are higher. So I suspect some sell hot watches to a friendly grey market dealer and share the additional profits. Another way is to reward faithful purchasers who buys precious metal watches with a one plus one purchase. Alternatively some ADs say hot watches are available through a list but you will never be called.

Once in a while, one lucky fella will walk into an AD and finds a sports model he wants at MSRP. Then he will report in the forum and the chase will start all over again for 99.9999% of enthusiasts. Now you see how the game is played.

I have decided no Rolex for me unless at MSRP or less.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:54:51 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline supergoola

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 09:14:24 PM »
I feel you bro... as much as i am a proud, owning 2 gmt , black and batman. But i felt ashamed to be in the price hike game. Too much is too much. Now my black gmt valued more than my batman. Lol.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline benaukk

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
I feel you bro... as much as i am a proud, owning 2 gmt , black and batman. But i felt ashamed to be in the price hike game. Too much is too much. Now my black gmt valued more than my batman. Lol.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Are you sure black GMT value higher then batman GMT?

Offline tcken

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 01:48:49 AM »
Are you sure black GMT value higher then batman GMT?

If GMT black is valued more than batman, I am willing to swap anytime.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline lztan21

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »
My submariner no date which I bought at grey market prices has also skyrocketed. There are so many other better options with much more superior watching making at that price point. Having said that though, I think all asset prices (sadly, including Rolex) will keep going up in prices as long as economic policies remain conducive. Look at Bitcoin prices compare to 3 months ago!

Offline koryong

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 09:38:42 PM »
Don't know which is worse .... silly prices or buyers silly enough to pay silly prices .... ;D

Peace to all  :Cheers:

Offline Steen

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 12:04:12 PM »
Yes ~ function of their quality, brand and business model. Together with Patek, you will unlikely see a reduction in their new watch prices going forward due to their rich history and reputation. Look at the grey market but beware of authenticity.

Offline josephw

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »
I tried to buy from local AD and told that all Sports models are on long prospect list. No guarantee how long it has to wait. I wondering why there are so many 116610LV (Hulk) in the secondary market selling as NEW watch and yet it is almost impossible to get it from local AD. Dropped by one shop at Berjaya 2 days ago, owner told me he just sold 4 new HULK a week before and still have one more left. Can you imagine and why he has 5 new HULK watches available at the same time?

Offline gunsnroses

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 11:48:25 AM »
It is because all this grey dealers have their names on every Rolex AD in town, once a sport model comes in, immediately this grey dealers get to it first. Then immediately they are inflated to "market rate" for resale.

The only way this can stop is we stop buying at this inflated prices from grey dealers. Let them keep their Hulks and Batmans and all that, we should only buy from AD.

But of course the problem is that the rich will always get what they want, paying that premium is not a problem for them.

Hence, the problem continues and the normal guys like us will never be able to afford a decent Rolex Sports model.

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »
It is because all this grey dealers have their names on every Rolex AD in town, once a sport model comes in, immediately this grey dealers get to it first. Then immediately they are inflated to "market rate" for resale.

The only way this can stop is we stop buying at this inflated prices from grey dealers. Let them keep their Hulks and Batmans and all that, we should only buy from AD.

But of course the problem is that the rich will always get what they want, paying that premium is not a problem for them.

Hence, the problem continues and the normal guys like us will never be able to afford a decent Rolex Sports model.

I have this same thought 20 years ago when daytona was selling for  about 30k when the retail was around 20k plus.i told myself that its too inflated. Then i waited for for 5 years and the price never came down even in second hand market. So ..i bought it later for around 33k , and never regretted since.

Offline benaukk

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »

I have this same thought 20 years ago when daytona was selling for  about 30k when the retail was around 20k plus.i told myself that its too inflated. Then i waited for for 5 years and the price never came down even in second hand market. So ..i bought it later for around 33k , and never regretted since.
So based on yr past experience, now should 'hoot'? 8P

Offline josephw

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »
For those who have vast experience on Rolex, what is your thought on the current situation? Will there be any possibility that the price will come down after went up so high? Thanks

Offline ckcspice

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
wont come down....if it stays flat, that would also b a miracle....i myself have decided to stop supporting grey dealers

For those who have vast experience on Rolex, what is your thought on the current situation? Will there be any possibility that the price will come down after went up so high? Thanks

Offline Watchgrocer

• Freshie
    • Join us on our Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
Hi,
1) Never heard of "bubble" exist in watch price, high end watches for instance. Brand like Rolex usually will have their price maintain or even appreciate due to the workmanship, materials they use and the limitation quantity of their production.
2) In my opinion, if you have extra money, why not?

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Cheng, Watchgrocer

Offline wwf

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 07:15:22 AM »
the production cant catch up with demand, and China now got lot of rich ppl, they are travelling around the world to buy all the luxury item. this is waht i think. few years back,some  Rolex series, like daytona, pepsi and batman, already hard to get, have to queue.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »

First time I've seen signs in Rolex ADs that certain watches are tagged "NOT FOR SALE. For Display Purpose Only"

It's a sales outlet, not a museum. Strangely, ROLEX themselves are not doing anything about it which means they condone the practice. Shame on them. Time to look at other brands.

And the fact that ADs have practically none of the sports watches but grey dealers have shelves filled with them goes to show the co-operation between ADs and grey dealers to rake in profits on premiums. Again, no action from ROLEX.

Offline benaukk

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »

First time I've seen signs in Rolex ADs that certain watches are tagged "NOT FOR SALE. For Display Purpose Only"

It's a sales outlet, not a museum. Strangely, ROLEX themselves are not doing anything about it which means they condone the practice. Shame on them. Time to look at other brands.

And the fact that ADs have practically none of the sports watches but grey dealers have shelves filled with them goes to show the co-operation between ADs and grey dealers to rake in profits on premiums. Again, no action from ROLEX.
Maybe u can try to make a complaint to Rolex ..

Offline tannitech

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »
The ever increasing price means there are many collectors that are able to afford the price.

Based on an interview with John Mayer I watched a few weeks ago where he shares his astounding collection of watches (previous, I only know him as a singer, little did I know he is a watch geek  :o), a collector is aware of the price, but it doesn't concern them. As long as they can afford the price and its something that they want in their collection, they'll whack it. Watch collectors typically enjoy the price appreciation over the long-term because of the way watches are valued (as elaborated by sifus above), but true collectors will never be bothered with how much they "earn" because they derive pleasure from collecting  :Dancing_banana:, not trading. The fear of losing the watch forever from their collection far outweighs the pleasure of earning money from it.

Once its in their collection its pretty hard for them to let go regardless of the price. That, in turn, reduces supply in the market.

Looking into the longer-term, I highly doubt that the business model of the luxury watch industry would change because there is always individuals that would appreciate the craftsmanship. Mass-producing would essentially change the landscape of the watch industry and how people perceive the value of the watches, which will be jeopardising their own future profits (something like killing the goose for the golden egg).

Offline watchpassion

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
The rise of the price has been ridiculous, nevertheless willing seller and willing buyer. A new subdate can reach RM45-50k now.

Offline BC1010

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
Totally agree. The surge is because PRC economic boom, even a farmer can wear Rolex....I am expecting the price will drop in next year or so. Not much, though.