Author Topic: Engagement ring  (Read 58510 times)

Offline wslee

Engagement ring
« on: April 21, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
Dear expert,any advice on the engagement ring.planning to propose this year.Looking at the budget about RM3-5k.

Which jewellery shop should I go?

Personally I have not go to survey yet,hope to hear from the sifu before I visit the shop

Offline David_cheong

Re: Engagement ring
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »
wslee,

Your quote brings back sweet memory, time when I went through the same scenario.

As a young couple our resources were limited then. With just rm450 in the pocket...I went ahead to order 2 units 835k gold (plain band), one for his and one for hers.....and we wore these band for many years but we never wear them anymore for now.....not because of its eternity but because these pairs have became too small to wear.

IMHO, With you budget, your best bet is to go for those 950PT? (platinum) simple band. These material last forever.
If all else failed, just go for plain simple 916k wedding band.

My 2 cts tells me that the current local white gold is a no no. These white gold just faded away (top layer becomes yellowish) after some years of daily wear.

I heard the Japan made white gold is of better quality. Please correct me on this.

Depending on your requirements/taste, a good quality 0.5 cts diamond takes more that rm6k........and I heard if your gf is a hongkie, then on going rates is at least a 2 karat diamond??...for engagement ring..if not, no tiew...(pardon my language)..somebody, please comments on this.
 :)
dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »
If engagement ring is 3-5k, then how much will the wedding ring cost? Maybe since it's just engagement, better not put in such a high budget... hahahaha

Depending on your requirements/taste, a good quality 0.5 cts diamond takes more that rm6k........and I heard if your gf is a hongkie, then on going rates is at least a 2 karat diamond??...for engagement ring..if not, no tiew...(pardon my language)..somebody, please comments on this.
dc

Best to tiew before engagement to make sure vehicle is good and then decide if it's worth the 3-5k engagement ring and possible 2 karat wedding ring later...

:Laughing_on_floor:

And around 5k can get a 0.5 karat certified diamond but not in the D-E-F colour or VVS clarity...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:10:10 PM by dpkong »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »
I really do feel for those who are getting married these days. I bought my rings and house when prices are still reasonable couple of years back.

I am with David, being just getting a proper paycheck years ago, I got myself a plain white gold band for myself and an eternity diamond band for her.

Got her the solitaires when I was more capable. HK is a good place to buy. Nice designs and competitive prices.

Like what David says is true, go for YG if both you and your partner likes the hues, if not go platinum. WG needs plating when it turns yellowish.

Made up for it when I started to earn more and got my wife more blings as the years goes.

Do read up about diamonds if you are planing that route. I do find bluenile does give a quite accurate ballpark market rate on diamond and jewelry prices.

All the best for the suffeRing begins  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:19:03 PM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
A working colleague in my wife's company asked for a Rolex datejust, 2 tone for her engagement.....my, she is one smart lady..... :D :D

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
Good thing she did not ask for a Pearlmaster  :laugh:

Offline wslee

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:40:51 PM »
wslee,

Your quote brings back sweet memory, time when I went through the same scenario.

As a young couple our resources were limited then. With just rm450 in the pocket...I went ahead to order 2 units 835k gold (plain band), one for his and one for hers.....and we wore these band for many years but we never wear them anymore for now.....not because of its eternity but because these pairs have became too small to wear.

IMHO, With you budget, your best bet is to go for those 950PT? (platinum) simple band. These material last forever.
If all else failed, just go for plain simple 916k wedding band.

My 2 cts tells me that the current local white gold is a no no. These white gold just faded away (top layer becomes yellowish) after some years of daily wear.

I heard the Japan made white gold is of better quality. Please correct me on this.

dc

Good to hear that :)

But anyway i have not done a proper survey.Hahahaha

Given a choice, i would like to give her a watch. Unfortunately way out of my budget.

Im looking at 0.3-0.4C as a engagement ring,well luckily she is Malaysian.Hahaha!!!!  :Dancing_banana:

Will take my time to survey

Offline wslee

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 10:41:29 PM »
Guys,thanks for the info..hehehe  :Cheers:

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:42:22 PM »
simple and nice, success rate 99.9%

Offline wslee

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:05:06 AM »
simple and nice, success rate 99.9%

Which shop u getting from,if you dont mind

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
check PM

Offline wslee

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
I got married last year and bought the engagement ring about 2 years back. I think diamond prices are roughly still the same. Ok first you got 2 types of rings you need to buy. To get her to marry you, you need to buy an engagement ring. These are usually diamond rings and could be a solitaire or all kinds of fancy designs. After she agrees, you need to buy a pair of wedding rings. Usually this are simple bands of white gold/platinum/gold. Diamonds optional.

Next you have the 3 tiers of diamond rings. Highest level are Tiffany & Co/Cartier etc level rings. These are expensive, branded and highly marked up. You are basically paying for the brand and the "box" that it comes in. Your wedding photographers will definitely be taking photos of rings in the box so if that's your priority for face, then its up to you. Personally you are paying 3-4 times market value just for the brand and I think it's silly. Good Half carat (triple excellent, VS1 or better, F Colour or better) will cost you 20k an above.

Medium tier is the pseudo luxury brands such as Lumiere (by Tomei), Habib (Hearts on Fire series) etc etc. These are branded and cost 50%-100% above market price. However you do get slightly better diamonds. Make sure you get "hearts and arrows" diamonds. These are premium cut diamonds that are apparently more shiny "due to how well they are cut @ the ideal angles". If you examine with a hand loupe, you can see a hearts and arrows pattern in the diamond. I went for this level of diamonds lar, no Chinese Jewelry shop brand name and not as expensive as true luxury brands. Also you pay for the cutting quality as well. Good Half carat about 10k.

Mass market level are Poh Kong, Wah Chan, Tomei etc etc level. These are the best bargains for your money. Make sure you are buying GIA diamonds (diamonds inspected by Geminological Institute of America). Nothing much else to say except these are the best value diamonds. Good Half carat about 6-7k.

Next is the 4cs. Carat, Cutting, Colour & Clarity. Carat is weight (and thus size). Cutting is how well it is cut (how shiny it is). Colour is how clear it is (D is perfectly colourless, I/J/K above, diamond gets abit yellowish). Clarity is how perfect the diamond is without inclusions (VVS is very very slightly included, SI1 and SI2 is slightly included etc).

My 2 cents, go for the biggest cheapest rock you can find. Get a diamond that is as big as possible with crappy colour and clarity because honestly nobody can tell without a microscope. Cutting is pretty important to make sure that the diamond is sufficiently shiny. Just as a general quide diamond prices triple everytime carat size doubles. so if half carat is 7 k for a Poh Kong level ring, it'll be 20k for a one carat and 60k for 2 carats.

My advice is buy slightly below a round number. Buy 0.48 or 0.92 or 0.97 etc. The pricing is cheaper and it'll look equally big. For 3-5k, don't bother with the luxury names. Just survey Wah Chan and Poh Kong for GIA diamond rings. You should be able to get a good quality 0.3++ or a crappy quality 0.4. I suggest go for size.

Forget about resale value for diamonds. The buyback programme I was offered was 25% of purchase price and this is only for trading up. Better buy a cheap diamond ring and buy a nice watch. Also weddings are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. Please budget for wedding photographers and wedding entertainment in addition to your wedding dinner. Wedding photographers/videographers for prewedding pictures and actual day photographers/videographers cost me almost 15k. Wedding live bands + emcee will also set you back about 5k.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:52:00 PM by ivanpei »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
ivanpei..

With your post, I bet a lot of bachelors are running for cover the minute a potential candidate mentions the word diamond engagement ring.

My advice would be, get a simple pair of gold rings for a wedding and spend within your means for the wedding itself. If everything goes well, children will come along soon. Never wait till you are financially very well-off before having children as that may be too late. Leave the diamond rings until a time when the couple's finances are in order.

I only got my wife her diamond ring after the second son... compensation for her efforts....  ::)

Offline watzisname

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »
I got married last year and bought the engagement ring about 2 years back. I think diamond prices are roughly still the same. Ok first you got 2 types of rings you need to buy. To get her to marry you, you need to buy an engagement ring. These are usually diamond rings and could be a solitaire or all kinds of fancy designs. After she agrees, you need to buy a pair of wedding rings. Usually this are simple bands of white gold/platinum/gold. Diamonds optional.

Next you have the 3 tiers of diamond rings. Highest level are Tiffany & Co/Cartier etc level rings. These are expensive, branded and highly marked up. You are basically paying for the brand and the "box" that it comes in. Your wedding photographers will definitely be taking photos of rings in the box so if that's your priority for face, then its up to you. Personally you are paying 3-4 times market value just for the brand and I think it's silly. Good Half carat (triple excellent, VS1 or better, F Colour or better) will cost you 20k an above.

Medium tier is the pseudo luxury brands such as Lumiere (by Tomei), Habib (Hearts on Fire series) etc etc. These are branded and cost 50%-100% above market price. However you do get slightly better diamonds. Make sure you get "hearts and arrows" diamonds. These are premium cut diamonds that are apparently more shiny "due to how well they are cut @ the ideal angles". If you examine with a hand loupe, you can see a hearts and arrows pattern in the diamond. I went for this level of diamonds lar, no Chinese Jewelry shop brand name and not as expensive as true luxury brands. Also you pay for the cutting quality as well. Good Half carat about 10k.

Mass market level are Poh Kong, Wah Chan, Tomei etc etc level. These are the best bargains for your money. Make sure you are buying GIA diamonds (diamonds inspected by Geminological Institute of America). Nothing much else to say except these are the best value diamonds. Good Half carat about 6-7k.

Next is the 4cs. Carat, Cutting, Colour & Clarity. Carat is weight (and thus size). Cutting is how well it is cut (how shiny it is). Colour is how clear it is (D is perfectly colourless, I/J/K above, diamond gets abit yellowish). Clarity is how perfect the diamond is without inclusions (VVS is very very slightly included, SI1 and SI2 is slightly included etc).

My 2 cents, go for the biggest cheapest rock you can find. Get a diamond that is as big as possible with crappy colour and clarity because honestly nobody can tell without a microscope. Cutting is pretty important to make sure that the diamond is sufficiently shiny. Just as a general quide diamond prices triple everytime carat size doubles. so if half carat is 7 k for a Poh Kong level ring, it'll be 20k for a one carat and 60k for 2 carats.

My advice is buy slightly below a round number. Buy 0.48 or 0.92 or 0.97 etc. The pricing is cheaper and it'll look equally big. For 3-5k, don't bother with the luxury names. Just survey Wah Chan and Poh Kong for GIA diamond rings. You should be able to get a good quality 0.3++ or a crappy quality 0.4. I suggest go for size.

Forget about resale value for diamonds. The buyback programme I was offered was 25% of purchase price and this is only for trading up. Better buy a cheap diamond ring and buy a nice watch. Also weddings are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. Please budget for wedding photographers and wedding entertainment in addition to your wedding dinner. Wedding photographers/videographers for prewedding pictures and actual day photographers/videographers cost me almost 15k. Wedding live bands + emcee will also set you back about 5k.

Great advice Ivan! Wish I had read this when I was out shopping for a ring.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
To be honest,

"
go for the biggest cheapest rock you can find. Get a diamond that is as big as possible with crappy colour and clarity because honestly nobody can tell without a microscope.

"

is about the worst advice you can get....

My wife once pointed out to me how "yellow" a huge diamond ring on another woman's finger was.. easily slightly over a carat. She should know as she's got a E, VVS1 mounted on platinum.

My advice.. the girls know diamonds better than you do

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »
Another piece of advice before going with diamonds.

1. Read up about conflict diamonds. That should put you and the woman (hopefully!) off...

But if that fails,

2. Google/read about the diamond certification hype.

In the end of the day, the woman of your life will want a diamond. Make it count!!

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 11:48:40 PM »
diamond to wife = passport to buy new watches

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »
Well life can't be perfect. At 3-5k, there needs to be compromise. Either go one size up, or focus on quality of diamond and be a little smaller. And unfortunately ladies today are pretty demanding. Diamond engagement ring is more or less a must. -_-

How big can adjust here and there lar, but I'm pretty sure most ladies expect a diamond ring. IMO a 5k 0.4 ++ diamond ring is very good already as most standard rings are about 0.3++.

Especially in KL, and how materialistic ladies are, what to do. Even if your future wife is not materialistic, her family and friends will judge you on what rock you buy. Facts of life.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
Depending on the understanding part of your the other half, she may not encourage you to get her a bigger 'stone' at a later stage.

Other priority may comes first.....Only when the finances stabilizes, then go all out to buy her... to her heart desires.

Its really take a bundle to get married nowadays.....I remembered those days, I have only to buy films for my photographer friend to shoot the wedding photos...Now they are gathering dust in the closet.....

dc
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:50:50 AM by David_cheong »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 02:57:19 AM »
Baby steps... Take it slow.

What David said is right.

Buy the best quality diamond within your budget. Like what DPkong said is right as well. Quality shines through and even to a layman. Quality always trumps over size.

Consider the size of her hands .5 - .75c on most petite Asian girl's hands looks relatively big.

Getting married nowadays is not cheap. Coupled with the prices of housing, petrol and every necessities.

Work hard, love each other, build a life together and award the relationship later with something more precious and bigger to comemerate the journey.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:01:12 AM by terrenceterrence »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
Baby steps... Take it slow.

What David said is right.

Buy the best quality diamond within your budget. Like what DPkong said is right as well. Quality shines through and even to a layman. Quality always trumps over size.

Consider the size of her hands .5 - .75c on most petite Asian girl's hands looks relatively big.

Getting married nowadays is not cheap. Coupled with the prices of housing, petrol and every necessities.

Work hard, love each other, build a life together and award the relationship later with something more precious and bigger to comemerate the journey.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't go wrong with the above advice.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 06:03:01 PM »

Especially in KL, and how materialistic ladies are, what to do. Even if your future wife is not materialistic, her family and friends will judge you on what rock you buy. Facts of life.

Are you marrying the girl or her friends and family?

Considering how hard it is to make a good income these days, a potential wife should never be a burden right at the beginning. That's a wrong footing to start off on.

And if one marries thinking that satisfying the materialistic want of a diamond is a good start, do consider that may not be the end of it. What happens when demands include a yearly Europe vacation, new handbags and shoes, a new car every 3 years etc etc..

:-\

Offline watzisname

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

Considering how hard it is to make a good income these days, a potential wife should never be a burden right at the beginning. That's a wrong footing to start off on.

And if one marries thinking that satisfying the materialistic want of a diamond is a good start, do consider that may not be the end of it. What happens when demands include a yearly Europe vacation, new handbags and shoes, a new car every 3 years etc etc..

The ironic thing is most of you guys are well off so u guys won't have this problem  :D
The sad thing is society judges a man by his watch , and a woman by the rock on her finger.
Not to say I support of such views (in fact I abhor it) it's the truth.

Just buy what you can afford , nothing more nothing less

Offline dpkong

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »

The ironic thing is most of you guys are well off so u guys won't have this problem  :D
The sad thing is society judges a man by his watch , and a woman by the rock on her finger.
Not to say I support of such views (in fact I abhor it) it's the truth.

Just buy what you can afford , nothing more nothing less

I, for one am definitely not "well-off" even now. I was piss poor when I got married and the woman still accepted me. We even pooled our available resources to foot the wedding expenses, spending many nights going through who to invite and where to cut costs.

And that's why we love each other so much and buy only what we can afford.