Author Topic: Engagement ring  (Read 58492 times)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: Engagement ring
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 03:24:09 AM »
Don't know who you are referring to, but I am for one piss poor over here
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline watzisname

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 07:39:27 AM »
Don't know who you are referring to, but I am for one piss poor over here

LOL i doubt anybody will classify you as "poor"  :angel:

Offline Jarod200

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »
Great Advice ! learn something new evveryday.

Thanks for sharing your experiences :) Cheers

Offline ronaldindin

• Freshie
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
your budget is healthy. anyway wish you luck!
12Bet.com - Proud Sponsor of Wigan Athletic!

Offline Jakes

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
I used to go to those Malaysian Jewelry Fairs at KL Convention Centre. I think its a good place to shop for rings, especially if you go on the last day just before they close and haggle hard as they want to offload the stuff they brought in. I bought my wife a loose half carat with GIA cert and later went to Habib to set the stone on a white gold band. If i remember correctly, the price of the stone was about RM8K and another RM1.5K for the white gold band. 

Hope this helps.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »
half carat will have passport for unlimited yam cha session

Offline wslee

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

Especially in KL, and how materialistic ladies are, what to do. Even if your future wife is not materialistic, her family and friends will judge you on what rock you buy. Facts of life.

Are you marrying the girl or her friends and family?

Considering how hard it is to make a good income these days, a potential wife should never be a burden right at the beginning. That's a wrong footing to start off on.

And if one marries thinking that satisfying the materialistic want of a diamond is a good start, do consider that may not be the end of it. What happens when demands include a yearly Europe vacation, new handbags and shoes, a new car every 3 years etc etc..

:-\

The ironic thing is most of you guys are well off so u guys won't have this problem  :D
The sad thing is society judges a man by his watch , and a woman by the rock on her finger.
Not to say I support of such views (in fact I abhor it) it's the truth.

Just buy what you can afford , nothing more nothing less

Thanks for the advise,well reality hurts :) but thankfully my future wife is not really materialistic

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
Yup, I don't like how society works too. But what to do. All the best!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline hitokai1989

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »
well i go for palladium with gold plating lol for engagement. Will go for a diamond 1 later on.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »
Wslee,

Listen to the sifus, every single thing they have said rings so bloody true.
Try to spend within budget & do the wedding sensibly.
Trust me, your wife will understand because your money will be her money and not the other way round. :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Work hard in career and family life, there are no shortcuts to success ($$ & babies :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana:) and most importantly, always remember to respect and treat your wife's family with the uttermost respect even if they might be giving you loads of shit. Coz things will turn for the better in time. (I'm pretty sure that there will always be an aunt or uncle or sister or mother that tries to make life miserable for you :Blue:)

Cheers and good luck.

Regards
Tsw

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »
WSLee,

I did loads of research before I got my wife an engagement ring. I read in a diamond book somewhere that, notable difference in size is observed every 0.25 carats. While I agree with some of the comments above whereby you should try to get a ring which is 0.48 or .095 carats, this ring will be really difficult to find as there will be a significant price jump for every half a carat. I'm very sure that the retailers will try to sell as expensive a ring as they can.

With regards to colour, they are D, E, F, G. D being the "whitest". Anything with H or less will already be "yellowish"

Always try to get a diamond with a perfect cut as maximum light refraction will cause the ring to "bling" more...

Clarity of ring is not of upmost importance as no one will be walking around with a jewelers magnifying glass. VS 1 or VS 2 will suffice. FL or flawless being on the top of the tree, followed by VVS 1 which is very very slight intrusion, VVS 2, VS 1, VS 2 and SI which is Slight intrusion.

I do hope this helps...I always tell my buddies to buy what you can afford and then make for for that one carat or more later in life. Weddings are an expensive affair and I feel for you bro...but this is something that most of us HAVE to do as we want to honour our parents, both on the side of the bride and the groom. If I had a choice, my wife and I would have forgone this whole shenanigan and used the money to buy property.

Well...good luck and congrats

DC

Offline jennyjenny

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »
simple and nice, success rate 99.9%

so cool...i love this ring! hehe =)

Offline pauldmitchell13

• Engagement Jewelry
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
Dear expert,any advice on the engagement ring.planning to propose this year.Looking at the budget about RM3-5k.

Which jewellery shop should I go?

Personally I have not go to survey yet,hope to hear from the sifu before I visit the shop
One of the major benefits of internet rings shopping is the selection. You'll want to take the time to browse mom and pop style websites as well as household names in case something one-of-a-kind or vintage catches your eye. (The average groom ring shops for three months, regardless of where he's shopping.)

Offline zek

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »
simple and nice, success rate 99.9%

so cool...i love this ring! hehe =)

nice :thumbsup:

Offline Jarod200

• Freshie
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
I need help, anyone know what is the average carat a diamond proposal ring would have ?

I was very shocked when I heard my girl friend claimed that the average in KL is a 0.7 carat. She claims her friends told it to her.

I have seem the rock of that size in those jewelry shops and frankly it looks over sized on an Asian's hands.

Any advise

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »
If anyone gives me that "answer", I would ask them;

"What do you think your average boob size need to be to deserve that size of a carat in a ring?"

I would always say, bring all your cards to to negotiation table and if nothing really matters; that should be the only thing that matter.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline dpkong

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
I need help, anyone know what is the average carat a diamond proposal ring would have ?

I was very shocked when I heard my girl friend claimed that the average in KL is a 0.7 carat. She claims her friends told it to her.

I have seem the rock of that size in those jewelry shops and frankly it looks over sized on an Asian's hands.

Any advise

Goodness.. with all the advice in the news lately, haven't anyone woken up yet?

If you really must get a diamond ring, get the BIGGEST you can really afford without going into debt.

If she's not too well versed with the 3Cs, get the cheapest and biggest ie. bad colour and cut. You can save even more on diamonds without a proper internationally recognised certificate but beware she may grow wiser and that's money down the drain. They're expensive to buy yet have very little resale/trade-in value, if any.

And if 0.7c is just for the engagement, how big will the wedding ring need to be?

And to be honest, no diamond is too large on an Asian finger...

If anyone gives me that "answer", I would ask them;

"What do you think your average boob size need to be to deserve that size of a carat in a ring?"

I would always say, bring all your cards to to negotiation table and if nothing really matters; that should be the only thing that matter.

:Laughing_on_floor:

We'll have more advice once you report back on the boob size...

Offline Jarod200

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
 :Laughing_on_floor:

Duly noted.

As for boob size, I wish it was this :Jumping: .

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 06:04:51 AM »
Wow... Really... There really is a "market average" size for an engagement ring?
Like a "market average" for angpow packets when attending wedding dinners?
Ladies really need to put things into perspective...
Not everyone can afford a 0.7ct diamond ring... say if you can't... then what? Cancel the engagement?
Just get something within your budget and something your lady will appreciate.
If you really want to get the biggest, then go for size, do not give two hoots about clarity, colour and cut... no one walks around with a loupe inspecting the diamond on the finger... unless maybe dpkong? hahaha
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 06:21:14 AM »
Interesting to know the origin of the hype of engagement ring.

You can thank the N. W. Ayer advertising agency for your diamond ring joys and anxieties. In 1938, N.W. Ayer was tasked with improving De Beers diamond company's faltering sales, so the company launched a game-changing "A Diamond Is Forever" campaign. They did things like organize lectures across the country to educate high school students about the importance diamond engagement rings. The approach paid off -- diamond sales rose 55 percent in the United States from 1938 to 1941. Even today, it seems as if diamond engagement rings could be, quite literally, forever.
[unquote]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/things-you-believe-advertisers_n_4603233.html

Offline swleong

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 07:17:27 AM »
Damn, average 0.7 carat diamond for engagement ring........

Now I have to tell my wife that the 'average' watch to buy now is Rolex Submariner......

Offline watzisname

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »
All these minimum requirements for marriage is making me sick to the stomach.. No wonder so many young couples go into debt just for their wedding..

There is a big jump for diamonds >0.5 so my humble opinion is below 0.5 carat still gives the most value. If your fiancee complains at the size of the rock on her finger, maybe you guys need to rethink your priorities

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:45 AM »
All these minimum requirements for marriage is making me sick to the stomach.. No wonder so many young couples go into debt just for their wedding..

There is a big jump for diamonds >0.5 so my humble opinion is below 0.5 carat still gives the most value. If your fiancee complains at the size of the rock on her finger, maybe you guys need to rethink your priorities

Yeah... agreed...
Debts is a major major setback especially for new families.
When you have kids on the way... it's gets worse... and most of the time... it never gets any better.
A couple of years back, throwing a wedding dinner would probably make you a little profit.
With the prices of banqueting now, you would be lucky to just break even.
Get your priorities right... it's not nice to ask for you parents to foot the bill for baby formula and nappies now would it?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline watzisname

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »
Sigh, getting harder and harder to save for my watch. Have to save for emergency fund, retirement fund, kid's education fund, and wife's present fund before anything goes into the watch piggy bank :Blue:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »
Sigh, getting harder and harder to save for my watch. Have to save for emergency fund, retirement fund, kid's education fund, and wife's present fund before anything goes into the watch piggy bank :Blue:

Other than emergency funds, convince your wife that you can consolidate all the other funds into a good watch purchase..  :Laughing_on_floor: