Author Topic: Vacheron Constantin - Fifty Six, Overseas and more  (Read 6615 times)

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
Vacheron Constantin - Fifty Six, Overseas and more
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »
Been awhile since I've checked into MWF and reminded to share my recent acquisition in Feb this year.
Never been happier but I think I may also look into the Overseas 3 / Traditionelle some time in future. I've also noticed there's not many Vacheron Constantin threads here, perhaps other owners would also like to chip in?
Some of you may have probably seen some of my posts elsewhere, apologies if you're seeing it again  :P

So I went for the FiftySix DayDate after numerous visits to the boutiques. It may not be everyone's cuppa tea but it just fits the bill as I wanted functionality and practicality. It's also not too dressy and could be worn easily on the weekend.
It's quietly understated which I like  :)

Lume shot although not as bright as Chromalight

Love the Côtes de Genève and how seamless it is.

With the rest of the popular refs.

And just about a few weeks back, I was invited by VC to an event hosted by The Rake. Got to try on the ultra thin VC which is gorgeous and of course the blue dial got me thinking of one again. Not sure if it fits on my slim wrist; i need to try it on a few more times, probably sized if possible.

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
Just an update to this post since it's been quiet. Here's my journey to my next watch purchase. I can't recall if I've posted in this forum.

I was back at Old Bond Street looking for a dress watch early this year before the lockdown. I was getting a bit tired of sports models now and I much preferred simpler and elegant dials these days. And yes, I've set my mind on a rose/pink gold watch. I considered white gold but then it reminds me too much of a stainless steel watch. If I wanted discreet I'll just get a SS watch instead, and if I wanted a gold watch....well I want it to be 'gold'  :D  Also I guess it's how you wear it too.

What could be worst when A.Lange and Vacheron Constantin boutique is literally next to each other.

I had a look and considered the Lange Big Date and the rare 25pcs Wempe UpDown in blue dial. I was tempted to purchase the UpDown but not sure if I would grow tired of it in a few years. I know there's the white dial and I bet some of you will be screaming "get the Lange' lol. Somehow my heart still skips a few heartbeats with the Vacheron. The Lange is a bit too utilitarian for me although the finishing is impeccable. Maybe next time ...

And of course I was also comparing both the Traditionnelle Ref: 82172 plain dial and the Boutique Guilloche dial Ref: 82172/000R-9888. Naturally what sold to me was the guilloche dial, it is still hand-turned using traditional methods on the 18k gold face. I could almost get lost staring into the repetitious pattern. At 38mm and 7.7mm in thickness, it fits my slim wrist perfectly. Being a boutique model it tipped the scale slightly for me as it's probably less common with a handcrafted dial. I've been told that it has now been discontinued and I bought the last piece that's available at the VC Bond Street Boutique.

Months prior to the purchase, I've been invited by VC to their watchmaking event which was quite an experience for me. The afternoon tea was generous whilst we handled minute repeaters, tourbillions, perpetual calendars, etc.
It's hard to imagine how small some of the parts in the movement especially when having to put the screws back on. It could easily have flown across the room, let alone having to polish them.

Marked up movement as it's been handled by so many guests  :D

and of course, the nice thing about purchasing at boutiques are some of the gifts. Got given 2 bottles of Louis Roederer, a nice leather VC notebook, VC books, VC gloves, Fortnum & Mason chocolates etc. to the detriment of my bank account lol.  :'(
TBH, the VC boutique has been most welcoming, friendly, and accomodating throughout. They've recently sent me some extra gifts during lockdown which was a nice surprise and gesture. VC wins it for me this time.

I hope you enjoyed the journey as I did and feel free to post to this thread.

Offline dpkong

Re: Vacheron Constantin - Fifty Six, Overseas and more
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:49:59 PM »
Nice indeed!

Offline Cocas

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 02:26:41 AM »
Hi @kelv_w

Just curious about these VC watches. Are their hands solid gold? They looks so good.

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:51:37 AM »
Hi @kelv_w

Just curious about these VC watches. Are their hands solid gold? They looks so good.

thanks both!

@Cocas the hands and markers are indeed solid gold too. If you look at the Traditionnelle hands, half of it is highly polished and the other facet has some sort of frosting/stippling. It creates a sharp contrast (almost half dark/half light) no matter where the hands are pointed at.

Also on the small seconds dial, although you can't see from the photos; there are small concentric circles. There are a lot of small details that one could really appreciate through the loupe.

Offline dexson

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 07:23:15 AM »
Congrats to both of your acquisition !

The FiftySix is certainly capable to double up as a dress & casual watch !

I am really impressed on VC's hospitality more so providing an opportunity for "watchmaking" experience  :Cheers:

Wear in good health ! Stay Safe.

Best Regards,
Dexson

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
Thank you for your post. I think that VC will appeal to the more mature collector and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. That said...I think that VC is right up there when it comes to Haute Horology. I too appreciate <40mm hand wound watches due to my small wrists as well. Congratulations on such a wonderful purchase and thank you once again for your post.

Cheers
Patrick

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:27:41 AM »
Nice sharing on VC. Owned an Overseas Chrono Deep Stream years back but have since moved it on. Dont know if it is a common thing but my screw down crown was so problematic (worn-off threads after about two years of ownership) that I eventually grew frustrated with it. It was difficult for the crown to "catch" the thread so setting the time is a huge chore with 10 minutes wasted trying to screw down the crown. I still love the design of the Overseas and likely will own one in the future but I will be more careful when picking one up and analyzing the screw-down crown prior to purchase.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline wingman7

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
Thank you for sharing. It must be a wonderful feeling to purchase from the boutiques. Most local watch shops should learn from VC's hospitality.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
old bond street = watches street. Missing my visit to London 2 years ago to collect my Harrods Tudor BB .

Nice 56 you got there... in fact I more into their traditionnelle, the one in 38mm RG with guilloche dial...

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »
Congrats to both of your acquisition !

The FiftySix is certainly capable to double up as a dress & casual watch !

I am really impressed on VC's hospitality more so providing an opportunity for "watchmaking" experience  :Cheers:

Wear in good health ! Stay Safe.

Best Regards,
Dexson

Thanks! I love it both :)  The FiftySix is pretty versatile and also the price point is pretty reasonable I think.

I was really surprised by their hospitality despite not having bought from the London boutique before. Also I was invited to subsequent VC events after that too. I guess I just had a buy a watch from them after all that lol!

Also prior to purchasing the FiftySix, I was invited to their launch party whilst on a business trip to Bangkok.

The rest was history after that haha.

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 05:37:05 AM »
Thank you for your post. I think that VC will appeal to the more mature collector and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. That said...I think that VC is right up there when it comes to Haute Horology. I too appreciate <40mm hand wound watches due to my small wrists as well. Congratulations on such a wonderful purchase and thank you once again for your post.

Cheers
Patrick

Thanks Patrick! I do agree that VC may not appeal to all, which I find that in itself quite appealing tbh. Perhaps a bit more understated and for those in the know. Also, it's a bit safer to wear out  ;D  There's way too many watch muggings in London these days.

I remember sitting in a small cafe in HK having lunch and everywhere I looked, almost everyone was wearing a sports Rolex. I used to love it but somehow I felt desensitized after a while.

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 05:43:14 AM »
Nice sharing on VC. Owned an Overseas Chrono Deep Stream years back but have since moved it on. Dont know if it is a common thing but my screw down crown was so problematic (worn-off threads after about two years of ownership) that I eventually grew frustrated with it. It was difficult for the crown to "catch" the thread so setting the time is a huge chore with 10 minutes wasted trying to screw down the crown. I still love the design of the Overseas and likely will own one in the future but I will be more careful when picking one up and analyzing the screw-down crown prior to purchase.

Not sure about the Chrono Deep Stream, it could be quite a common problem with screw-down crowns. 2 of my watches (not VCs) had similar issues but I would think it would be an easy fix by replacing the crown. Tbh I'm fed up with it too and I'm just as careful when choosing the next purchase. No issues as such with dress watch though haha.

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 05:49:57 AM »
Thank you for sharing. It must be a wonderful feeling to purchase from the boutiques. Most local watch shops should learn from VC's hospitality.

Thanks Wingman7. I guess that's the price to pay, boutiques don't offer any discounts  :'(  hence I prefer to get boutique or special editions instead. However, I have to say VC hospitality is top-notch not just in London but I've been to a few in HK, Singapore and Bangkok. They were all equally as welcoming and helpful. It's definitely a breath of fresh air from Rolex AD  ::)

@dennis.T
Thanks! Love the Harrods Edition. I have mine on a rubber strap just to change it up a bit.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »

Hi.. didn't the manufacture remedy this under warranty? Is it a common problem for the brand?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 08:31:06 PM »
If i recalled correctly, it happened shortly after the warranty lapse. Whilst I recalled that it is not exactly an expensive fix, I do not want to keep sending my watch away ( it did suffer from the same problem after a year or more from the repairs). I am not sure if it is a common problem as I have not owned another since.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 04:24:55 AM »
new pic for this week

Offline roystock

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 04:20:05 PM »
Nice thread and thanks for sharing the excellent pictures. Glad to have read your post and to hear from someone who appreciate VC style.

I have two VC, the Patrimony Traditionalle and the Overseas. I always find myself considering a third VC. The Sixty Five come close, and so is the 1942 and maybe the 1921.

The price tags are high but worth the every dollar. Still, it is a high price tag that need plenty of time to save up for

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 05:26:28 AM »
Nice thread and thanks for sharing the excellent pictures. Glad to have read your post and to hear from someone who appreciate VC style.

I have two VC, the Patrimony Traditionalle and the Overseas. I always find myself considering a third VC. The Sixty Five come close, and so is the 1942 and maybe the 1921.

The price tags are high but worth the every dollar. Still, it is a high price tag that need plenty of time to save up for

Fantastic! There are not many VC owners here I presume. You have the best of both dressy and sporty. I have tried the Overseas many times and I love it, but unfortunately I could not wear one as my wrist is pretty small. However, the Traditionnelle is perfect! Which dial you have?

I love the American 1921 too! Have to wait until next year's 100th Anniversary to see what's instore.

Offline roystock

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »

Fantastic! There are not many VC owners here I presume. You have the best of both dressy and sporty. I have tried the Overseas many times and I love it, but unfortunately I could not wear one as my wrist is pretty small. However, the Traditionnelle is perfect! Which dial you have?

I love the American 1921 too! Have to wait until next year's 100th Anniversary to see what's instore.
I have the Patrimony Traditionalle Small Second in rose gold, normal dial and the Blue Overseas.
Have you tried 37mm Overseas, maybe it fit better?

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 11:25:35 PM »

I have the Patrimony Traditionalle Small Second in rose gold, normal dial and the Blue Overseas.
Have you tried 37mm Overseas, maybe it fit better?

[/quote]

Both are beautiful! The blue dial Overseas is really something especially the movement and interchangeable straps.
At some point I did consider the white gold Traditionnelle as an addition. Wonder if it's too redundant having 2 very similar watches apart from the dial. The plain dial is so clean, I love it.

I did try the 37m Overseas, it felt a tad too small. If it's 39mm it'll be perfect. Also the dial doesn't have the same shine to it; it looks a bit duller and I didn't quite like the small seconds at 9.