Author Topic: Why Rolex ? Share your thoughts !  (Read 66888 times)

Offline Rollee

Why Rolex ? Share your thoughts !
« on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »

Offline Taga

Re: Why Rolex ? Share your thoughts !
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:44:16 AM »
...because it's Rolex maa..!  :D

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »
Build Quality and Reliability.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
If you appreciate form and functionality - rolex has it
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline nye79

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
"grandpa n grandma..do u know rolex?..yes we do n we hv one..
"pa n ma..do u know rolex?...yes we do son..and we have one.."

"do u guys know..mmm..panerai?....what??... ???

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 06:22:17 AM »

Rolex has built itself over years that it has come to a situation where it is "THE" watch to acquired if one is to be moved to the upper crust of our society.
And they deserved it  cos they have strive in every aspect of watch making that it's inconceivable to think otherwise.
Rightly or wrongly so does not matter cos the perception is so in born that ask any layman on the street which watch is "the" watch,and you can be almost certain it's a Rolex.
For me too,my first "real" watch is a Rolex and it's unthinkable to imagine my collection without a Rolex among the rest.   

Offline Rollee

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »
Rolex has a great history! But most of them, they know great name (Rolex) but not their great history. There is a mindset, the person who wears a Rolex, he/she considers OLD.. FASHION ? Come on, ( Vintage Never Goes Out of Style ) I'm a collector of Mini Classic and RGMT as well. Some of them may ask me, why don't you get a new one instead of getting a used one ? Frankly, I'd answer you IF I think you need to know the answer. Nowadays, money talks ! You have the cash, you get the thing. But, Used/Vintage. It depends on your Knowledge, Luck, timing and so on. It brings me surprise at the end of the day.

Offline azamtaib

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:16:23 AM »
timeless design..ehem2..  ;D

Offline gucciposh

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »
I think Rolex do have SOME sentimental value & some sort of long term 'investment' so to speak...
As for me once you got Rolex, you'll begin to 'browse' to something even better e.g AP or Patek.
But beware as you might turn into WIS in the making cos i seriously think i'm turning into one of them!  :Laughing_on_floor:
Of course women don't work as hard as men cos they always get it right for the first time :-p

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
Hey, dun lar talk about this. If not then other ppl would go and complain in Facebook say MWF is only allows discussion about Rolex and grand seiko.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 09:02:30 AM »
why Rolex? The robustness, the reliability, the accuracy, the timeless look. The question to ask is why not?
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
Quite true but then again not much discussion about anything else gives ppl the impression.

OK, back to the topic. For me it's not so much about the brand. It's always the watch. I buy a Daytona because I like the Daytona not because it's a Rolex. The same thing goes for JLC. I want a Reverso, it just happen that the brand is JLC.

I would not buy an Omega because it is an Omega or a GS because it's the Grand Seiko. I have to like the watch.

Safe to say I can find model I don't like from all manufacturer and the opposite is true as well.

In the end the answer is:"Why? Because I like this watch"

Regard
Tyler

Hey, dun lar talk about this. If not then other ppl would go and complain in Facebook say MWF is only allows discussion about Rolex and grand seiko.

Offline sean

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »
Yes, well said Tyler  :thumbsup: we buy because we love the watch, is not the brand , no point you buy the brand but you don really like the design of the watch.

Quite true but then again not much discussion about anything else gives ppl the impression.

OK, back to the topic. For me it's not so much about the brand. It's always the watch. I buy a Daytona because I like the Daytona not because it's a Rolex. The same thing goes for JLC. I want a Reverso, it just happen that the brand is JLC.

I would not buy an Omega because it is an Omega or a GS because it's the Grand Seiko. I have to like the watch.

Safe to say I can find model I don't like from all manufacturer and the opposite is true as well.

Regard
Tyler

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 09:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the comment but I must be honest. I do own a few Rolex and I find the movement of the modern (post 90s) fair way better than the old ones.

I don't whether this is only true to Rolex or is a phenomenon spread across the industry.

Regard
Tyler 

Yes, well said Tyler  :thumbsup: we buy because we love the watch, is not the brand , no point you buy the brand but you don really like the design of the watch.

Regard
Tyler

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
Buy the watch because u like it and not because if the brand. If it comes to robustness.....etc.... I can't see why an Oris or Omega or Sinn diver would lose out...

If it's because if the brand, then I am sorry to say that there are more brands to show that "you have made it".

Rolex is a middle class aspiration to crudely put it. To circle with the big sharks just look at what's on the wrist of our ruling party class and also those whom watchanish is mingling among.

I belong to the plebeian lower middle class and this is as good as I can afford. If the sky's the limit.... ;D

Having said that, I just like the looks of a Sub.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »
Also it happens that the heroes of yesteryear wears the "Gshock" of that era traversing the white tundra of the poles, sailing solo across the oceans and diving deep into the abyss wearing that watch....

So to lie to myself and my much mundane city suburban droll.... I can dream a bit
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:33:43 AM by terrenceterrence »

Offline swleong

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
Damn, if Terence is lower middle class, I'm definitely belongs to the hard-core poor  ;D

Really? no Rolex owners here had a slight thought of its good resale value when buying 1? Then I must be the weird one here.  :Confused:

Of course, I like the design of some of their models too, like the Sub, SD, Explorer.

Offline farhanbh100

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
not really a brand snob but when i saw a shimmering blue dial dj2 on display, ( u know the saying watch 'sings' to u..)
i knew i had to get it sooner or later..
tried it on was even impressed with quality metal feel.. too impressed didnt even notice centre link z polished..

long story short, that weekend i kiasuly bought it.. ( was checking out something else)

above average resale value helps in case wanto flip it.

Offline wana2125

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
rolex is a good n quality brand..the problem is a lot of replica watches outside there..

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
Coz Rolex is without doubt the most famous mechanical luxury watch brand in the world. Period. What people say positively about Rolex - robustness, reliability, accuracy, post sales service, resale value, timeless design, etc - are brand attributes they truly experience and associate with Rolex, hence the support of many loyalists and enthusiasts. What many owners of Rolex are unaware of is the Rolex hallmark for incremental evolution over many decades, one that has been honed to perfection, backed by a very strong in house capability for volume manufacturing, engineering and R&D. In essence, Rolex is both form and substance personified. Therein lies its wide appeal.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline wana2125

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »
why too many replicas outside, one thing because it is famous brand, one more thing i think because its design easy to duplicate..that my opinion :)

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
why too many replicas outside, one thing because it is famous brand, one more thing i think because its design easy to duplicate..that my opinion :)
its all about whose selling more, everybody wants a piece of the pie :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
It's all about the shape , design, reliability n quality. Rolex have them all, more expensive or cheaper doesn't mean better or lesser .regards tony.
I think Rolex do have SOME sentimental value & some sort of long term 'investment' so to speak...
As for me once you got Rolex, you'll begin to 'browse' to something even better e.g AP or Patek.
But beware as you might turn into WIS in the making cos i seriously think i'm turning into one of them!  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:03:04 PM by tonykpk »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
1. Some designs are appealing to me.
2. Reliable and rugged enough for daily use.

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
A crown for every achievement.