Author Topic: Mesh bracelet anyone familiar  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Yoda

Mesh bracelet anyone familiar
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
To all the mahaguru, guru and watch enthusiast,

I hardly seen any of this in the local AD, anyone familiar?

Where to get and is it hard to maintain?

I see that this sort of bracelet is fairly new to the local market?

Your opinion appreciated
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline STT1987

Re: Mesh bracelet anyone familiar
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
The mesh bracelet as you know it is also known as the Milanese or "Shark Proof" bracelet. I'm hardly an expert but the story has it that if a shark chomps on your hand, it won't be able to eat your watch...  :o Seriously, Divers in the 60's and 70's wore fine chain mail armor while diving to prevent smaller sharks (not the big "JAWS" sharks which it won't really help) from taking bites out of them. The mesh strap was probably derived from this.

IMHO, Malaysian WIS and retailers tend to be a bit on the conservative side. Breitling has several OEM mesh bracelets for their Aeromarine series. Omega has a mesh bracelet for their Ploprof (at least RM 2000+ if you order seperately). I believe Mido the mesh bracelet option for their diving watches too. You don't get to see them often in Malaysia so you'd have to special order them or buy third party mesh straps.

If your watch has the option, you can order them via your favorite AD but they aren't cheap. If not, you have to buy third party straps. They are not hard to maintain, in fact they are easier to maintain than the regular metal bracelets IMO. Scratches are not obvious on mesh and can be polished off with cape cod or steel wool (depending on polished or brushed steel finish). 

No, they have been around since the 60's and 70's at least. They were very popular for a while but the local market seems to prefer the traditional metal bracelets or leather/rubber straps.

Here are some pics from my collection:

Seiko Black Monster on third party generic mesh bracelet.

The buckle

Breitling SuperOcean Heritage Malaysia LE on original OEM mesh strap.

The back and buckle:

“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:09:08 AM »
The mesh bracelet as you know it is also known as the Milanese or "Shark Proof" bracelet. I'm hardly an expert but the story has it that if a shark chomps on your hand, it won't be able to eat your watch...  :o Seriously, Divers in the 60's and 70's wore fine chain mail armor while diving to prevent smaller sharks (not the big "JAWS" sharks which it won't really help) from taking bites out of them. The mesh strap was probably derived from this.

IMHO, Malaysian WIS and retailers tend to be a bit on the conservative side. Breitling has several OEM mesh bracelets for their Aeromarine series. Omega has a mesh bracelet for their Ploprof (at least RM 2000+ if you order seperately). I believe Mido the mesh bracelet option for their diving watches too. You don't get to see them often in Malaysia so you'd have to special order them or buy third party mesh straps.

If your watch has the option, you can order them via your favorite AD but they aren't cheap. If not, you have to buy third party straps. They are not hard to maintain, in fact they are easier to maintain than the regular metal bracelets IMO. Scratches are not obvious on mesh and can be polished off with cape cod or steel wool (depending on polished or brushed steel finish). 

No, they have been around since the 60's and 70's at least. They were very popular for a while but the local market seems to prefer the traditional metal bracelets or leather/rubber straps.

Here are some pics from my collection:

Seiko Black Monster on third party generic mesh bracelet.

The buckle

Breitling SuperOcean Heritage Malaysia LE on original OEM mesh strap.

The back and buckle:

Thanks for the information

"....Breitling has several OEM mesh bracelets for their Aeromarine series..." I saw the Advert showing David Beckham with an airplane behind him thats the trigger point where this mesh bracelet gain my attraction.

Btw nice bracelet match you have there
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:20:38 AM »
Sample of a mesh bracelet from OCEAN7

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »

The mother of mesh bracelet from omega

The original buckle is a real outdated
Design

Offline Lurch

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »
Dunno bout u guys but these 'mesh' bracelets
Are a nightmare to the hair on my wrist

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Zop

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »
Bring up the old post..
I’m trying to find shark mesh bracelet for my Longines LLD (picture below as reference).
Can anyone recommend me where to find the original genuine shark mesh bracelet? Btw I’m okay with third party bracelet as well. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk