Author Topic: Why do people buy luxury watches?  (Read 21439 times)

Offline cubangang

Re: Why do people buy luxury watches?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
Because it shows the most out of people, it shows the person status symbol. You could wear a knock off looking rolex with a different brand and get still get compliments. But when you wear a Rolex, it shows that you've got extra cash to splash on yourself. It also goes on long term investment, if you buy a rolex now, most probably you could sell it higher or breakeven in the future.

Offline totoro86

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »
I gravitate towards watches with certain complications and brand heritage. I marvel at the fact that a mechanical watch can keep the time and date for a century before needing an adjustment. It brings a smile to my face when I get to time my eggs or cup noodles using a chronograph and i cherish those rare moments where my flyback chronograph is useful.

I buy certain luxury watches because I identify with them. I believe every brand sells a story and their products reflect on the accuracy of that story. All in all I'm a watch wearer who appreciates fine watch-making and I believe there are many like me out there. I never intend to sell any of my watches unless it has to make space for a new watch I want to acquire. However it gives me comfort to know that the time pieces I purchase will stand the test of time and not depreciate too much if at all if kept long enough.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline jacobng

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
In my opinion there could be numerous reason :-

2) To impress girls (if you're a male)
3) To impress your gf(if you're a male)

A majority of ladies do not know a lot of big brands (with the exception of ROLEX) :(
maybe only a handful does
I've encountered numerous times ladies asking a friend of mine wearing a Calatrava if it is DW LMAO

Offline watchgymfreaks

• Freshie
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »
It is an investment and also definitely a boost to your image

Offline Ajas

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »
Hobby like anything else.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

Offline totoro86

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 05:39:17 PM »
In my opinion there could be numerous reason :-

2) To impress girls (if you're a male)
3) To impress your gf(if you're a male)

A majority of ladies do not know a lot of big brands (with the exception of ROLEX) :(
maybe only a handful does
I've encountered numerous times ladies asking a friend of mine wearing a Calatrava if it is DW LMAO
And I had my friend asking me if my 5327G was a Filippo Loretti

Offline istick99

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
Wearing a luxury watch is telling his net worth. I'm sure you'll get special "treatment" because eople sees the world that way.

Not really. I have seen people spending 6 or 7 months of his salry to buy a watch :Blue: :Blue:

Yes of course bro, no one is I think but they are just maybe only 10-20% of their monthly salary or income.  ;D ;D

Offline ChrisChong

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 06:36:55 PM »
Its an enjoyable hobby for many :)

Offline cubangang

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 09:13:29 PM »
investment and some time to boast off to friends ;)

Offline Nkssupreme

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 09:24:52 PM »
watch movement innovation curiosity and hobby of course.

Offline Salience

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 12:00:15 AM »
status, sense of achievement, present for self, reward, self appreciation.

Offline elado249

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »
Do girls really check/dig on what watches men wear? Haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Salience

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2018, 10:49:43 PM »
no. only the wealthy or the materialistic ones are aware.

Offline proxylimit

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
And I had my friend asking me if my 5327G was a Filippo Loretti

after hand on FL, I find their quality is really...... not up to that price.... and that's really "whatttt" if compare to 5327G LOL
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:45:22 PM by proxylimit »

Offline proxylimit

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 09:44:44 PM »
no. only the wealthy or the materialistic ones are aware.

and collectors or enthusiast

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 01:19:45 AM »
Lots of reasons.
Enthusiasm, Self imaging, Collectible, Built Quality, Resale value, Awesome level of attention to details.
Just so many reasons to enjoy a luxury watch, for me myself is in investment value. When u save up yr hard worked cash, luxury watches is an investment that u get to enjoy while not pain as much for the resale value as compare to other luxury products like branded, cars etc.

Offline craftedseries

• Freshie
  • Bicycles fascinate me
    • Life
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 11:53:04 PM »
For me I bought one cause it definitely gives of this posh feeling. You could be all sporty and still wear a luxury watch and be classy. Also it really helps with all the university presentations and all when you dress up!

Offline firewire

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »
I love all mechanical things. When it comes to automatic movements, the swiss watch maker is the pinnacle of it.

Then, comes the heritage of the brand and along with that...the status.

Offline mattwee89

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
It boost our self confidence when we have not much money buy wana act like one.. haha i think it represents our ownself

Offline flazer

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
I got my first one as a reward for an achievement. Now I guess im just hooked lol. I mean they look nice.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline topsecret

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »
To each his own, but I buy them for my own self satisfaction.

:Cheers:

Offline Notonmywatch

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2018, 01:01:52 AM »
When talking to my friend about fast cars, he aptly said, "yeah I guess it will be nice to get from stoplight to another faster". It is such a persistent memory because its embarrassingly true. Driving through KL there are plenty of people with 500hp+ cars, and none of them will ever get the full potential out of their cars because the law constrains such behaviour. So why do we buy nice watches? Pretty simple in my opinion, I absolutely adore design, functionality and history. Not everyone will appreciate it to this degree, but be humble and genuine if you are satisfying your watch habit for the sake of functional art, not to satisfy your ego, which is fine either way. I travel a lot and it sounds kinda sad, but a lot of the time my only companion is my watch, I hold it, I look at it and it reminds me of certain memories. MY beater watch, 97' tagheuer Kirium has this amazing ocean blue dial and polished accents, and that glimmer always reminds me of that feeling when I checked the time at the top of my crowning achievement, summiting Mt Killimanjaro in Tanzania Africa, the highest freestanding mountain in the world where the sky was clear as the sea and the snow was sparkling. Maybe my stories are a tad more romantic than others, but this is how I feel honestly, not to mention after meticulously studying people and their watches, I can more or less tell what kind of person they are. Good psychoprofilling haha.
We're all pirates looking for our own treasures to satisfy us till the end of our days. But time itself is the real treasure we sometimes overlook.

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
When talking to my friend about fast cars, he aptly said, "yeah I guess it will be nice to get from stoplight to another faster". It is such a persistent memory because its embarrassingly true. Driving through KL there are plenty of people with 500hp+ cars, and none of them will ever get the full potential out of their cars because the law constrains such behaviour. So why do we buy nice watches? Pretty simple in my opinion, I absolutely adore design, functionality and history. Not everyone will appreciate it to this degree, but be humble and genuine if you are satisfying your watch habit for the sake of functional art, not to satisfy your ego, which is fine either way. I travel a lot and it sounds kinda sad, but a lot of the time my only companion is my watch, I hold it, I look at it and it reminds me of certain memories. MY beater watch, 97' tagheuer Kirium has this amazing ocean blue dial and polished accents, and that glimmer always reminds me of that feeling when I checked the time at the top of my crowning achievement, summiting Mt Killimanjaro in Tanzania Africa, the highest freestanding mountain in the world where the sky was clear as the sea and the snow was sparkling. Maybe my stories are a tad more romantic than others, but this is how I feel honestly, not to mention after meticulously studying people and their watches, I can more or less tell what kind of person they are. Good psychoprofilling haha.
my favourite watch is the Speedy Pro, what kinda profile am I? I wld like to know

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline vrscse23

• Freshie
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
I genuienly like the model and the mechanics behind the watch. And more than that, its something that i enjoy collecting. I love looking and appreciating the watches.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »
To me, it is the appreciation of hundreds of years of human ingenuity and hundreds of man hours that went into the mechanism and watch to make it work. Annual calender, perpetual, The ability to turn raw materials ( iron ore, gold ingots, sand, etc ) into beautiful and well crafted micro machines that can tell the time, date, moon phases, alarms, etc. The spinning balance wheel in each watch reminds me of my own heart beat, that myself and the watch is alive and ready to take on this world. Our mastery of time and machine. Don't get me started on the Tourbillon, dual rotors to cancel out errors, temperature compensation on spring and balance wheel. And how accurate mechanical chronometers is what allowed seafarers to sail the world centuries ago because it allowed longitude to be determined accurately long before the advent of GPS. In short, without those time keeping devices and the technologies to make it accurate, the world will be a much different place today, and a lot of those technologies are in the mechanical watches that we wear today.

When i first bought my sub, the main reason that caused me to part with the money is the mechanism. I fell in love with the mechanism. Then i learned about movement finishing, and started my foray and interest into German and independent brands. The finishing of Lange's balance cock, the beveling of Phillip Dufour watches, etc. The status part was and still secondary. Good to have, but not the main reason.

Most people also think of a BMW as a status symbol. But the E46/E90 generation is also tuned to be one of the best drivers car that will put a smile on the driver every time he/she takes a corner, the steering weight and feel, the 50-50 weight distribution, the way it pivots on your bottom, the smooth snarl of the NA inline 6 when you rev it to the red line, snap to the next gear and start the process all over.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:16:40 PM by iffy38 »