Author Topic: Aikido ???  (Read 10338 times)

Offline fistball

• Freshie
Aikido ???
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
Aikido, the art of harmony, a martial arts that uses your qi or force from your opponent.

Any forum'er here is an Aikido-ka ( one who practises Aikido )?

I myself is a 1st Kyu Aikido student. Would like to promote this martial art to any1 who is interested to fight like Stephen Seagal.

Offline takashi78

Re: Aikido ???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
Well if you promote this art so that people can fight then i guess you are in it for all the wrong reasons.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
Put it this way; to defend like Stephen Seagal - is a better phrase.

In my younger day, we used to 'defend' like Bruce Lee. Attack is the best form of defence. We, the school boys used to go around sparing with each other. Remember the three kicks?. And the brick/s breaking. Yes, I can actually break a single brick (not the red ones). But if you asked me now, I will surely break my hands....Ahhh...those were the days.

We have no actual sifus then, just pick up bits from here and there. Now most of us have had retired. And I would advised the best way to 'defend' (now) is to run away the opposite directions as fast as you can.- if given the opportunity.

my 2 cts

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
I am a TKD ITF 1st Dan and also trained in Sanda for a short while. Been contemplating Aikido because my good friend is asking me to join and also my ageing body can't take hard arts anymore.

How many schools of Aikido are there?
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »
i used to learn Aikido in during school time... ;)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
I Pick up street fight since 5 yrs old!!!
Steel pipe, water melon knife... N foldable chair is my companion
till I learn to release my anger with badminton racket!!!

Offline fistball

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »
sorry about the word fight, yeah, defence is the word more like to it. 

But of course, running away is the first option if we are given the chance. Martial arts are to be applied when your life is threatened and there ain't anyway for u to run.

For Aikido, the best part of it is u can train the martial art even if you are 50 years old or 60 years old. The art in such a way can train you in falling, they teach u how u can protect urself when u fall but not hurting urself. U wun feel a bit of pain even being throw by some1 from a high spot. that is 1 of the advantage.

I would however recommend this martial arts to all ages, cuz even though your physical size is not competent as of ur opponent, u can still defeat ur opponent.

1 more thing, it is the martial art that u can practise for a very long time.

By the way, there are many Aikido dojos in Malaysia. I, myself am attached to Cheras Heaven & Earth Aikido Dojo.

* There are no such thing as the best martial arts in the world, only the best martial artist in the world.

Offline kinson

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »
I am a TKD ITF 1st Dan and also trained in Sanda for a short while. Been contemplating Aikido because my good friend is asking me to join and also my ageing body can't take hard arts anymore.

Not often I see ITF people,  :thumbsup: 1st Dan also. So many years didn't touch liao. hehe. Good exercise, though.

Should try Wing Chun...watching too many Ip Man movies already, ahaha.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »
Ya man....wanted to buy that wooden sparing tool, but where to install .....

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
Tae kwon do here to and Hung Gar till our Sifu turned out to be a lying scumbag :D
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline kinson

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
Tae kwon do here to and Hung Gar till our Sifu turned out to be a lying scumbag :D

Haha, meaning he didn't know martial arts or was it some other form of lying? Turn on him with his own moves :D

penerai 1950

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
IMO, Akido is not so practical is real fight. Try boxing, kickboxing, thai boxing or mixed martial art if you are looking for a real hardcore self defence art.

Offline khanwooi

• Anything, Just About Watch Knowledge
    • Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
say run and say fight is easy...
but when you in the situation it totally not what you expecting, nor even sparing,

when sparing or kumite, it all within the rules and safety,

but when you in the real fight it about pain, life or dead.
such as example, you for sure wanna punch the opponent cost you wanna win, so as the opponent,
but at the same time, you know u cant get a punch cost if u get it, you die and there there is no refree stop the fight,

think real carefully,
running for your life is another problem, this will need to see experience,
you have stamina? and can you run or not?

so the best way is, never put a fight and calm and patient will settle all.
Khan Wooi

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
Put it this way; to defend like Stephen Seagal - is a better phrase.

In my younger day, we used to 'defend' like Bruce Lee. Attack is the best form of defence. We, the school boys used to go around sparing with each other. Remember the three kicks?. And the brick/s breaking. Yes, I can actually break a single brick (not the red ones). But if you asked me now, I will surely break my hands....Ahhh...those were the days.

We have no actual sifus then, just pick up bits from here and there. Now most of us have had retired. And I would advised the best way to 'defend' (now) is to run away the opposite directions as fast as you can.- if given the opportunity.

my 2 cts

dc

DC, definitely agreed with your way of "defend" ourself, run toward the opposite directions as fast as possible which i did once in my life!  ;D
watchManU

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »
but when you in the situation it totally not what you expecting, nor even sparing,

such as example, you for sure wanna punch the opponent cost you wanna win, so as the opponent,
but at the same time, you know u cant get a punch cost if u get it, you die and there there is no refree stop the fight,

think real carefully,

Fighting is always the last option as taught by all arts.

Furthermore street fighting techniques are not taught to everyone and good instructors would not just teach anyone lest some idiots go out can kill someone.

You wanna try full contact arts... try Systema. Went for a class once..just like Muay Thai, you are taught to take and endure hits. It's no use being able to attack but unable to stand up..think straight... and act rationally and clearly if you cannot take pain when hit.

Need to maintain a pretty face for work and too soft to go any further. Those mofos are tough basterds.

Alot of mainstream arts are only teaching how to inflict "pain" very mildly but not really how it feels when being inflicted the same "treatment" to the max. That is why the effectiveness of mainstream arts in a real life situation is very debatable.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:55:36 PM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 11:06:48 AM »

Basically there are 2 types that I heard of.
One using fluid motion to demonstrate and practice. (Eg as taught at YMCA KL)
The other using steps (like in TKD or karate) to teach and practice before finally ends with throwing. (eg Persatuan Aikido Malaysia)

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »

think real carefully,

Actually in any hostile situation, try to get away - run, avoid the situation, turn around etc.
On occasion where your life or your loved ones are threatened, then you have to weight the options. If it is a robbery, give the thugs the $$$. If it is a life threatening scenario, then it is either U die or I die. This is where all your practice or learning of the martial arts come into play. Doesn't matter which arts, Silat, kung fu, karate, TKD etc - all teach us to be humble and not to fight. I must say that some of these arts are gear for competitive sports, hence not suitable for self defense. Whilst others incalculate the self defense part into the training.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
Fighting is always the last option as taught by all arts.

Furthermore street fighting techniques are not taught to everyone and good instructors would not just teach anyone lest some idiots go out can kill someone.

You wanna try full contact arts... try Systema. Went for a class once..just like Muay Thai, you are taught to take and endure hits. It's no use being able to attack but unable to stand up..think straight... and act rationally and clearly if you cannot take pain when hit.

Need to maintain a pretty face for work and too soft to go any further. Those mofos are tough basterds.

Alot of mainstream arts are only teaching how to inflict "pain" very mildly but not really how it feels when being inflicted the same "treatment" to the max. That is why the effectiveness of mainstream arts in a real life situation is very debatable.

True, most mainstream arts follows the tried and tested way to teach the young/juniors practitioner. They were not exposed to being inflighted with pain as they were taught in a "controlled environment".
Some of the non-mainstream arts include knife-fighting, stick-defence, the art propagate by the Russian Spetnaz or even by the Israeli Military Inteligence etc. I know of a class of kniofe-fighting where they used rubberized knifes to practise actual attack/defend scenarios but still felt painful if hit by these rubber knifes.

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »
In all clubs i've been with unless you had no other choice than fight you where kicked out...first you learn the basic stuff like how to avoid a kick or a punch. Then you learn basic stuff like having 2 wallets give away the fake one and run. if someone points a gun at you do what he says unless you think he will pull the trigger then take him down if u can or hide if u can.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.