Author Topic: Nikon 1 series Vs coming soon Fuji x10  (Read 23423 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Nikon 1 series Vs coming soon Fuji x10
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
nikon just launch this mirrorless system with interchangeable lens camera.... but bit disappointed with the small sensor!
even smaller than the M43

so this will give a room to the coming Fuji X10 which also feature a smaller sensor than its big bro X100
but with fix zoom lens

Offline GlySinn

Re: Nikon 1 series Vs coming soon Fuji x10
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
In terms of looks, the x100 & x10 both beat the Nikon.
I too am disappointed with Nikon using a smaller sensor. Why la...
Can't wait for a comparison review between the x10 & the Nikon 1.... ;D

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
I think the mirrorless camera is the one I read in the net from the Nikkei publication.

See link : http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,3965.0.html

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »
In terms of looks, the x100 & x10 both beat the Nikon.
I too am disappointed with Nikon using a smaller sensor. Why la...
Can't wait for a comparison review between the x10 & the Nikon 1.... ;D

i think smaller sensor also help developing smaller lenses (more portable / compact lenses) ;) Eg, Sony Nex series, all new lenses produced to Sony Nex (E-mount) are big, i guess this is due to the big sensor... i remember i read somewhere talking about this.. if the lenses too big, it defeat the purpose of having smaller interchangable lens camera :) just my opinion la... have to see the real result..

btw, if you check out Pentax Q (the size is abt the credit card size) and using a 5.5 crop factor sensor (which mean, if 8mm will be come 40mm in a 35mm format) but produce good IQ ;) One of our member here own one, maybe he can share the files produced by Pentax Q here ;)

Offline watchtime

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:22:46 AM »

i think smaller sensor also help developing smaller lenses (more portable / compact lenses) ;) Eg, Sony Nex series, all new lenses produced to Sony Nex (E-mount) are big, i guess this is due to the big sensor... i remember i read somewhere talking about this.. if the lenses too big, it defeat the purpose of having smaller interchangable lens camera :) just my opinion la... have to see the real result..

i dont really understand, the leica lens is so small nia
the sigma dp series lens also tiny only
even the rigoh gxr lens also not really big
so i dont really understand

is it due to mirrorless so the lens got to be bigger?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 08:03:09 AM »
Am thinking to get a compact to complement my SLR and looks like the battle ground is getting more and more crowded as each day goes. The quality is getting from great to super too!

Bought my wife the S95 and that is quite a joy to use but I need one of my own because lugging a big camera everywhere is tedious. Heard the new S100 would be out anytime soon.

It's great that there are more choices in this category but also confusing at the same time. Being a A-mount user, waiting for the Nex-7 also sounds enticing with so much adaptors to choose from and  also not to mention continue use of my current lenses. But guess the size factor and weight factor comes into this equation again.

But all in a pro compact still might not give me the same level of detail that a SLR would give. On the flip side compacts gives moderately great photos with the ease of convenience.

What would u guys think? Get a good pro compact or stay in the interchangeable lens system albeit in a smaller body.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:04:43 AM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
Am thinking to get a compact to complement my SLR and looks like the battle ground is getting more and more crowded as each day goes. The quality is getting from great to super too!

Bought my wife the S95 and that is quite a joy to use but I need one of my own because lugging a big camera everywhere is tedious. Heard the new S100 would be out anytime soon.

It's great that there are more choices in this category but also confusing at the same time. Being a A-mount user, waiting for the Nex-7 also sounds enticing with so much adaptors to choose from and  also not to mention continue use of my current lenses. But guess the size factor and weight factor comes into this equation again.

But all in a pro compact still might not give me the same level of detail that a SLR would give. On the flip side compacts gives moderately great photos with the ease of convenience.

What would u guys think? Get a good pro compact or stay in the interchangeable lens system albeit in a smaller body.

Well, one has to ask oneself, if he/she needs a cam (whether a compact or a dSLR) for what purpose (other than to take pictures). Is it to take pictures for one's blog, or just "suka-suka" take pictures on daily happening, or potrait-taking, or taking macro world of insect and plants, or birding etc.
If one is a fashion photographer or a wedding photog or a nature photog, a dSLR with appropriate lenses is the way to go.
If one is like me, has a 9-6pm office job, and only do photography as a hobby, a compact + a dSLR with the basic kitlens will suffice. The compact is for daily thingy like children photos, colleagues birthday photo, site visits, holiday travels etc. The dSLR is for more serious stuff like nature (landscape) when I go jungle/hill trekking/hiking or mountain climbing. I remember I lug a tripod, 3 lenses, 1 dSLR and 1 SLR with 3 roll of films when I first ascend Mt Kinabalu.

Your question "Get a good pro compact or stay in the interchangeable lens system albeit in a smaller body" - my advice to you is get both(which I think you currently have them) unless you do not wish to continue with the dSLR. Nowadays there are compact with interchangeble lens available in the market, so this may be the one you are looking for.

Cheers.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

Your question "Get a good pro compact or stay in the interchangeable lens system albeit in a smaller body" - my advice to you is get both(which I think you currently have them) unless you do not wish to continue with the dSLR. Nowadays there are compact with interchangeble lens available in the market, so this may be the one you are looking for.

Cheers.

Hahah  ;D so I guess u are telling me compact with interchangeable lens = get the NEX 7?

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »
If that is within your means and that is the one you are looking for (just like when you are searching for your grail watch), why not? Ha. Ha.  ;D

As for me, I am using compact for everyday activities in areas where picture-taking is needed. And since I have my old SLR lenses and do not wish to change them I just got myself a used dSLR body to complement with them.

Cheers.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »
Jacky will bring his XZ-1 this weekend to the GTG, quite a nifty little performer.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »
Jacky will bring his XZ-1 this weekend to the GTG, quite a nifty little performer.
:thumbsup: yeah love that lil' chilling  chilli Padi of a camera.

Damn you auto correct!!!!!!!!!!  :Scolding:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:25:17 AM by terrenceterrence »

Offline watchtime

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:43 AM »
some people have the time and interest to do this ie compare sizes

http://di-sign.org/size2.jpg

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
some people have the time and interest to do this ie compare sizes

http://di-sign.org/size2.jpg

Cool!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline watchtime

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 08:46:43 AM »

Offline watchtime

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
I must be annoying people with my X10 links so this will be the last.
These are some of the sharpest pics. I have seen. Shows what the X10 is
capable of. Have a look

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=39710826

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 07:17:30 AM »
Thanks watchtime for the link.
Dpreview is one of the link I frequent most if I want to get information on cam. hardware and spec.s.

BTW, you are not "annoying", but helpful.

Have a good week ahead.
Cheers.

Offline watchtime

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
For those interested, the X10 will be available next week. RM 2288.00 with
original leather case.

A nice pussy cat shot with X10.

http://joannebalchin.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v37/p1052250569-6.jpg

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »
That is some pussy cat shot, watchtime.
It is very clear and can see the detail line of its face.

Offline watchtime

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
Some shops have started selling X10 since yesterday. Fotokem have sold all their stock it seems
despite selling at full RRP and no ori case plus only 8 gb class 4 card.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 05:44:16 AM »
I believe this is the current trend now. Wait 2 months later another model from same or different brand will take the market lead.
Also depends on the buyer profile. What they need in a digi. cam for.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
play with x10 for a while...not bad and the macro now come with "Super macro" and AF definitely faster then X100 ;)

but still don't think will get one...

Offline silverstan

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »
play with x10 for a while...not bad and the macro now come with "Super macro" and AF definitely faster then X100 ;)

but still don't think will get one...

Mind to tell why?