Author Topic: Some early macro photography  (Read 8687 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Some early macro photography
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »
These were some of my early attempts at macro photography...

Some B&W...

Offline N79KL

Re: Some early macro photography
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
how did you manage to get such amazing shallow DOF?
it looks like something shot with a f0.95  :thumbsup:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
Drooling over the Leica......my dream camera.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
Drooling over the Leica......my dream camera.

Not a real Leica. I wish it was. It is the Minox Leica M3 camera. The only Leica I have is the Panasonic rehash Leica C-Lux 2.

N79KL,

I will check the exif file for the setting and update it here.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:20:18 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »
The shots were taken with the Nikon D300 with the micro Nikon 60 mm lens. ISO for the shots were 400. Camera set to programme mode. F-number between F 3.5 to 4.8. Hope that helps.

Offline N79KL

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
Thanks. Yes I already know it was set to f3.5
That's why I'm amazed at the shallow DOF still

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
Like the second & the seven pictures, hobbit.
Very nice and shallow DOF.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
The shots were taken with the Nikon D300 with the micro Nikon 60 mm lens. ISO for the shots were 400. Camera set to programme mode. F-number between F 3.5 to 4.8. Hope that helps.

Good bokeh, are those photos being crop? I thought lower F number for this good shot, surprise the setting is F3.5 to 4.8
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
Bro. siodee,

A wider aperture (smaller f-stop number, like f2.8, f3.5) will result in a shallower depth of field. You can use this to keep either the foreground or background out of focus while maintaining the subject in focus. When changing the aperture setting, you will need to also adjust the shutter to maintain the correct exposure.
Normal f-stop no. generally is f5.6 (depends on the surrounding)

Pic.1 (extract from "Uncle Wiki")

Pic. 2 - notice the background blur, even at f5.6, but shutter speed fixed at 1/1000 s.
Aperture = F5.6
Shutter = 1/1000
Little/Shallow depth of field

Pic.3 - all the pics in focus, meaning larger depth of field.
Aperture = F22
Shutter = 1/60
Greater/More depth of field

As a summary, aperture (refers to as f no.) will definately affect the bokeh/DOF and the other factor which will affect the degree of shallowness of DOF is the shutter speed.
Photography is "one hell" of a subject and at the moment am also reading more on this subject.
(Nte : previously my method of taking pics. is by "trial & error", no proper instruction or knowledge)

Some useful link :
1) http://www.google.com.my/url?q=http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm&sa=U&ei=3DxnTv-dBMKJrAep8LTrCg&ved=0CCQQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNF4J_tJ5vhwMCBK40fEuBotZ5cFvQ

2) http://www.google.com.my/url?q=http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm&sa=U&ei=3DxnTv-dBMKJrAep8LTrCg&ved=0CCQQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNF4J_tJ5vhwMCBK40fEuBotZ5cFvQ

Edit : typo error.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:05:34 PM by Watchnewby »

Offline siodee

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
Chang, thanks for the info, any recommended macro lens?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
Not sure as I am not a Nikonian.
My old SLR set is a Vivitar. Am getting a Pentax dSLR body as compatible with my other manual lenses.

Go to any of the photographic forum, and you will find lots of info on your "grail lens".
Try photomalaysia forum. Very informative.
Or try Nikon website if you used Nikon system.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »
Chang, thanks for the info, any recommended macro lens?

siodee,

Not sure what system you are currently using but I would suggest the Nikon (if you using Nikon) AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED. It gives you more latitude and also working distance as compared to the Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D which I am using. Not sure about Canon.

Offline siodee

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »
Hobbit, I am using Nikon, hesitating between AFS 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f1.4, but viewing the picture here, actually I dont need so low F, I thought yr 60mm is good for bokeh???

Chang, I did surf the suggested web site, but they all give a lot of opinions, which sometime hard to decide, cause the macro len I am going to get, mainly for watch and insect shooting, so still searching... ::)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »
Hobbit, I am using Nikon, hesitating between AFS 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f1.4, but viewing the picture here, actually I dont need so low F, I thought yr 60mm is good for bokeh???

Chang, I did surf the suggested web site, but they all give a lot of opinions, which sometime hard to decide, cause the macro len I am going to get, mainly for watch and insect shooting, so still searching... ::)

siodee,

I think you should get the AFS 50mm F1.8. The lens is cheap and gives great result. If you use on the current Nikon SLR (except full frame), you get 75 mm which is great for portraits.

As for the Macro, if you really want to do insects, get the 105. Working distance is greater, as the 60mm, you need to get really really close. Might scare away the insects.

Offline siodee

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »
Hobbit, thanks for the sharing, I will test out the different lens first before making the decision,  :Cheers:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »

In the photomalaysia forum, there is one section on macrophotography. You can find PM members work here and also opinion on lenses to use for macro.

Offline siodee

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

In the photomalaysia forum, there is one section on macrophotography. You can find PM members work here and also opinion on lenses to use for macro.

Thanks Bro....I will certainly check on that