Author Topic: Is the Rolex Hulk 116610LV discontinued?  (Read 16696 times)

Offline flatcap200

Re: Is the Rolex Hulk 116610LV discontinued?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
I don’t think Rolex has stopped producing Hulk because there are still many brand new ones for sale from gray market dealers.

Indeed yes. But the question is whether it 'will' be discontinued. If price action is anything to go by, something may very well be in the works...

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
I don’t think Rolex has stopped producing Hulk because there are still many brand new ones for sale from gray market dealers.

Indeed yes. But the question is whether it 'will' be discontinued. If price action is anything to go by, something may very well be in the works...

Price action? You mean the price is going up drastically?

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »

IMO & since the start of this year...yes.

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »

How much was a used one at the beginning of the year? It's around 45k for a used one when I checked last month.

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »

How much was a used one at the beginning of the year? It's around 45k for a used one when I checked last month.

Now about rm45-46k. Beginning of 2018 about rm39k or slightly less.

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »

Shiver me timbers!!!!! I did not know that!!!!! I was seriously considering entering at RM45K but now I'm not so sure. I think fair value should be around 40K but the devaluation of the Ringgit has caused it to appreciate so much. I don't think I'll be getting one now. Probably wait till the Ringgit stabilizes. If it will ever happen.

What are your thoughts on getting one at RM46K for a 3 year old piece?

Offline ethan89

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »

Shiver me timbers!!!!! I did not know that!!!!! I was seriously considering entering at RM45K but now I'm not so sure. I think fair value should be around 40K but the devaluation of the Ringgit has caused it to appreciate so much. I don't think I'll be getting one now. Probably wait till the Ringgit stabilizes. If it will ever happen.

Rolex appreciate tremendously this recent year.
IMO, if you hold your trigger now and wait, I don't think the price will drop back to RM39K like early 2018, it will never happen.

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »

Incidentally I was offered a 2015 piece at the same price recently. Passed on the offer as I actually got mine a few months back.

It's an ok price right now as long as its a complete set. But get it only if you really want one.

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
Ok, say one buys one locally right now at RM46K for a 2015. Looking at the Dreaded Chrono24 stats, it's averaging at USD11.5K right now. So, USD11.5 X 4.2 is around RM48K.

Now If I wait a year or two and the price goes up by 10% to around USD12.5K but our Ringgit strengthens to 3.5 to the USD, that would make it RM43-44K right?

I don't know. I guess in an ideal world perhaps.

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »

Incidentally I was offered a 2015 piece at the same price recently. Passed on the offer as I actually got mine a few months back.

It's an ok price right now as long as its a complete set. But get it only if you really want one.

Bro you were offered a 2015 piece at the same price meaning the same price I was offered (RM46K) or do you mean at the same price as last year's price?

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »
Ok, say one buys one locally right now at RM46K for a 2015. Looking at the Dreaded Chrono24 stats, it's averaging at USD11.5K right now. So, USD11.5 X 4.2 is around RM48K.

Now If I wait a year or two and the price goes up by 10% to around USD12.5K but our Ringgit strengthens to 3.5 to the USD, that would make it RM43-44K right?

Absolutely...in an ideal world. MYR may well strengthen to 3.5 in that time but I (and many others I'm sure) anticipate the watch to go up to more than 12.5k by then. We can also tell from how the ADs are pricing their bundles.

If however you have USD now...its a different story  ;)

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »

Absolutely...in an ideal world. MYR may well strengthen to 3.5 in that time but I (and many others I'm sure) anticipate the watch to go up to more than 12.5k by then. We can also tell from how the ADs are pricing their bundles.

If however you have USD now...its a different story  ;)

Well, I do already have a black sub and it wears nice on me with the old slim lugs so I don't know if I want a Hulk just to go green. The Hulk is singing to me though. Hmmm... I cannot decide, I cannot decide...

There are distractions aplenty especially that CK2998 Panda which just appeared..... I cannot decide!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:05:38 PM by bimmerman »

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
Well, I do already have a black sub and it wears nice on me with the old slim lugs so I don't know if I want a Hulk just to go green. The Hulk is singing to me though. Hmmm... I cannot decide, I cannot decide...

There are distractions aplenty especially that CK2998 Panda which just appeared..... I cannot decide!

Just to share my 2 sen, I had the 116610LN, 116610LV, and CK2998 PSM and all 3 wears differently. Since yours is the 5-digit 16610LN, I could share that the 116610LV would indeed wear very differently and would be reason enough to get a piece, if you could get a piece, that is. Depending on your cost of entry, I would opine that the 116610LV could be the piece that would best retain its value, if not appreciating further.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 02:19:52 PM »

Just to share my 2 sen, I had the 116610LN, 116610LV, and CK2998 PSM and all 3 wears differently. Since yours is the 5-digit 16610LN, I could share that the 116610LV would indeed wear very differently and would be reason enough to get a piece, if you could get a piece, that is. Depending on your cost of entry, I would opine that the 116610LV could be the piece that would best retain its value, if not appreciating further.

Thank you Sir, it looks like I really have to get the Hulk now. Before I bought the late model 16610LN with the engraved rehaut, I was advised by a fellow forummer that I should give the Hulk or Kermit some serious consideration as the LN is more common. But at that time the green did look a little loud for my taste. Fast forward a few months and suddenly I'm craving some green to add to my collection. Well, I won't be able to keep everything though. Maybe the 16610LN will have to go. Or maybe my 216570..... dilemma dilemma...

Offline koryong

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
Buy, buy, buy ....  ;D

If u really must let one go, pick the one which hasn't appreciated much ... move that $$ to the Hulk, which will only continue to go crazy in price. I remember getting one for only 39k new from WW less than a year ago.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
Is the Rolex Hulk 116610LV discontinued?
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
A wiseman I know (who used to visit mwf quite regularly) once said

Buying a watch and thinking too much about future value is like wanting to get married and yet already thinking about divorce.

If you like the Hulk very much and found one priced at current market value, which you can afford, focus on buying it rather than thinking about how much it will be in  2019, 2020..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:48:51 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline koryong

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
A wiser man knows how to do both ...

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »
Wow! So when you bought the Hulk back then you already knew it will go up few k higher by now? Awesome!!

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Superb replies.

Incidentally, I was just chatting with a stockbroker pal a minute ago who just bought one recently. Dude is ecstatic and can't go on enough about it... I think he especially digs the green on green (big bucks) aspect of it  ;D :D

Every owner I know loves it to no end!

And then there's the kermit...

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 03:05:28 PM »
Superb replies.

Incidentally, I was just chatting with a stockbroker pal a minute ago who just bought one recently. Dude is ecstatic and can't go on enough about it... I think he especially digs the green on green (big bucks) aspect of it 

Every owner I know loves it to no end!

And then there's the kermit...

Quite a lot of differences between the Kermit and Hulk.

If one is not too worried about how what is value of Kermit vs Hulk 5 years from now, shouldnt be too hard to decide on which one. The Kermit will still be great if you choose Hulk and vice versa. Both are great watches. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:08:22 PM by pexus »

Offline koryong

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
Wow! So when you bought the Hulk back then you already knew it will go up few k higher by now? Awesome!!

Obviously ...

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2018, 03:15:52 PM »

Obviously ...

Wow! Then you can surely help the fence sitters to ease their worries here about future value since your crystal ball is powerful. 

Offline koryong

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »
Yes ... advice & opinions are free ...

Offline bimmerman

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
Yes ... advice & opinions are free ...

Bro! You were the one who told me to get something green and I said it didn't work for me. You were right all along!

Anyway, I don't think I can sell the 216570 because I'm really quite fond of it. Such an endearing watch which doesn't shout Rolex. The Turnograph, so chic so dressy, so uncommon, don't think I wanna sell that... The 16710 GMT II, hell no!

Which leaves the 16610LN. I guess my Planet Ocean 42mm can replace the LN as my black Sub and I could maybe pick up a Black Bay 58 as my vintage Sub and that should leave me with some bread on the table after I plonk 46K on the Hulk.

Maybe... But from 39K to 46K in half a year also makes me feel that this ship has sailed and i've missed the boat.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:07:29 PM by bimmerman »

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »
Sounds like a plan. All the  best with the purchase and looking forward to some wrist shots.