Author Topic: Import Tax on Watches (Customs Verified)  (Read 21357 times)

Offline thisisdk

Import Tax on Watches (Customs Verified)
« on: April 30, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
Hi MWF,

Just picked up my watch from customs today and got a definitive clarification from them on the tax imposed on watches imported from overseas.
It doesn't matter if it is a used / preowned watch or a brand new watch.
All watches are taxed at 5%.
Hope this helps you guys out.

Offline flatcap200

Re: Import Tax on Watches (Customs Verified)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
Very useful info. Tqvm.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Tapatalk

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »
Strange, I have been buying a lot of watches from overseas but never paid any import duty.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline gibsonforever

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 04:13:02 PM »
Tax will be imposed for watch + shipping cost over RM500. Meaning 5% tax is based on the declared watch price + shipping cost. If your seller use DHL, there is additional service charge because DHL will pay the tax in advance on your behalf. Meaning you don’t have to declare personally at the custom/POS. But DHL will only proceed with delivery after all the payment has settled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 06:40:12 AM »
Well, it's supposed to be a simple 5% but not necessarily so. New watches yes. Pre-owned and vintage, rightfully speaking should be also 5% but they could also treat it as purchase for parts cannibalisation and that would attract the 10% tax. So you have to get your seller to document the sale invoices without mentioning used parts. For instance, I recently acquired a vintage DD36 with extra parts, and the moment parts were seen in the invoice, it was whacked with the 10% tax for the full amount  :o

But then again, I order watches on a monthly basis and many pieces came in under the radar; so it looked like they go on a sampling basis there.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline wwf

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:02 PM »
some stupid question from me, how they know the contains inside the package is a  watch ya? can we ask the seller name this as clock and pen, isntaed of watch?

Offline hsnrhashim

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 05:08:31 AM »
Depends on the seller’s honesty I guess. The seller that I bought declare the watch as Precision Instrument, which a mechanical watch is one..

Offline tannitech

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 08:48:37 AM »
Well, it's supposed to be a simple 5% but not necessarily so. New watches yes. Pre-owned and vintage, rightfully speaking should be also 5% but they could also treat it as purchase for parts cannibalisation and that would attract the 10% tax. So you have to get your seller to document the sale invoices without mentioning used parts. For instance, I recently acquired a vintage DD36 with extra parts, and the moment parts were seen in the invoice, it was whacked with the 10% tax for the full amount  :o

But then again, I order watches on a monthly basis and many pieces came in under the radar; so it looked like they go on a sampling basis there.

Speaking of this, Andy considering your experience, do you have any watches that you will and will not buy via online, especially for those who have concerns on the originality and after sales service.

I do agree reviews can help, but reviews can be rigged too.  Still pretty hard to consider buying expensive things like this and having to deal with some overseas merchant..

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
Speaking of this, Andy considering your experience, do you have any watches that you will and will not buy via online, especially for those who have concerns on the originality and after sales service.

I do agree reviews can help, but reviews can be rigged too.  Still pretty hard to consider buying expensive things like this and having to deal with some overseas merchant..

Wherever possible, I try to do local COD purchases. However, there are some watches that are hard to get locally but could be purchased from online dealers; and I'm game for that too. At the end of the day, I go by the adage of buying the seller, not the watch  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline mwfchai

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
My experience on tax by customs:-

I bought a watch from Borealis (Portugal based), paid the pre-order price.

The tax imposed was on the balance of the cost of the watch (minus the pre-order price) as that was the price declared to customs.  Win win IMHO

Offline captain_willard

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 09:33:27 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to confirm if it is still 5% for import tax on watches.

I plan to order a JDM Seiko from either SeiyaJapan or Gnomon Watches SG. Price will be around USD1100 (inclusive DHL delivery). Is 5% of total/declared price all that I will need to pay, or will there be hidden charges?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Offline RA_2366

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 06:36:27 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to confirm if it is still 5% for import tax on watches.

I plan to order a JDM Seiko from either SeiyaJapan or Gnomon Watches SG. Price will be around USD1100 (inclusive DHL delivery). Is 5% of total/declared price all that I will need to pay, or will there be hidden charges?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

DHL will charge a processing fee. It's not a lot and I think it's worth the price. Otherwise, would may end up spending half day at customs just to pay the tax

Offline looisc

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
There is actually no import tax for watches but you have to pay 5% SST. I just received a watched from the US a couple of weeks ago. And yes DHL will charge you a small service fee.

Offline p33k4b00

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 09:30:35 AM »
There is actually no import tax for watches but you have to pay 5% SST. I just received a watched from the US a couple of weeks ago. And yes DHL will charge you a small service fee.

i can concur to this, i have bought Ball moonglow (ebay), Fortis b-42 gmt (ebay), Oris Ladies Rectangle (ebay), Luminox (Discountshop NY)... and  no tax whatsoever, you can check from Customs list of taxable goods.

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 07:19:29 AM »
Can i understand more on how the process was?

Typically does the reputable international courier help to handle this or we have to attend the payment ourself?

Offline looisc

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 07:43:58 AM »

Typically does the reputable international courier help to handle this or we have to attend the payment ourself?

Big international couriers will handle the customs processes. But you'll have to pay the 5% SST plus a handling fee that the courier charges. Considering the hassle you avoid I think it's a good tradeoff.

When the item is registered into the system, the courier will start the custom clearance process already. By the time it reaches the airport here we should know the amount we have to pay within a couple of hours or days. The courier will notify you on how to pay them. I usually use online payment nowadays. It's convenient.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 07:46:47 AM by looisc »

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 07:52:18 AM »

Big international couriers will handle the customs processes. But you'll have to pay the 5% SST plus a handling fee that the courier charges. Considering the hassle you avoid I think it's a good tradeoff.

When the item is registered into the system, the courier will start the custom clearance process already. By the time it reaches the airport here we should know the amount we have to pay within a couple of hours or days. The courier will notify you on how to pay them. I usually use online payment nowadays. It's convenient.
Thanks for the clarification ! I always have concern on the process, tax imposed when it comes to buying high value item like watches (hearing things like it might get lost in transition, highly imposed tax, etc..) Do you have experience making purchase as such and would you still recommend doing it ?

Offline looisc

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 07:57:46 AM »
I actually have experience getting over taxed. The customs officer simply quoted a price in a secondhand GS I was buying. But I have evidence of exactly how much I paid for it and it matches with the declared value. If anything the declared value is higher because the seller included the shipping and insurance value in it but he covered those things.
I just provided the proof and they revised the taxes.

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 08:22:27 AM »
Thanks man, that’s some great insight. Finger crossed no extra hassle on my first purchase.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 12:56:52 PM »
now GST coming so more $$$