Author Topic: "Collecting" or "Accumulating" ?  (Read 11626 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
"Collecting" or "Accumulating" ?
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
Some non WIS looks at your watch "collection" and say that you're not collecting, just accumulating.
What are your thoughts on the statement, and how the hell do you differentiate "collecting" and "accumulating"  ???
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
Re: "Collecting" or "Accumulating" ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
to me i think collecting means you collect what you want and sell those you dont want...
accumulating means you will collect what you want... and dont want as well...... ;D
Jacky Wong

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
Interesting.. I have never classified myself as collector as I am merely acumulating the watches.. To me a 'real' collector shd have tourbillon, perpetual and other grande complication. ;D

Offline MadZiZ

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
Hey bro from accumulating you become a collector....to me a collector collects what he desires, not specific grand movements. It is more of means and what you can afford. Just my 2 pence worth of thoughts though.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
I think the best way to describe a collection is that you have a set direction in which you want your collection to head to. A collection has a completion. An accumulation is a random set without any direction. An accumulation is forever ongoing. Thats how i view it.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
I think the best way to describe a collection is that you have a set direction in which you want your collection to head to. A collection has a completion. An accumulation is a random set without any direction. An accumulation is forever ongoing. Thats how i view it.

"A collection has a completion..." sounds legit, but we all know the truth to that statement...  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
Collection can be completed "for the time being". :Laughing_on_floor: But it can definitely be completed or upgraded or changed but do we know if we will add on more? Not without foresight. Maybe the best definition is that there is a direction to head to.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »
So,

Buying without direction = accumulating.
Buying with a set direction = collecting.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
Accumulate is like emphasizing on size of collection maybe (quantity)?
Collecting is emphasizing on value of collection (quality)...

Collecting or accumulating, most important is to be happy with whatever piece we have...
in MAlaysia, we call it siok sendiri.... ;D 
Some siok sendiri looking at a big, fully filled watch box...
some siok sendiri with just 1 or 2 rare pieces...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:29:30 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »
My collection used to be accumulating... Not including few of seiko watch... Now trying to get rid of it to get hold some other watch  :HammerHead:

What i learnt from this is to get the watch you will keep it with you for rest of the life. Flipping will cause you to lose up in $ in long run  :Mad:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:34:07 PM by Gigi »

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
to me i think collecting means you collect what you want and sell those you dont want...
accumulating means you will collect what you want... and dont want as well...... ;D

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
Im def an accumulator... if I have the money and want a watch I buy.. and I never sell. But im alsoa collector cause I have watches that I know i wont be happy unless i have them. But still would never sell one of my babies to get a new one once you're an Andersson it's for life... well atleast my life bet my watches will live longer than me hehe
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline bwee

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
"Posted by: hanz079
« on: Today at 02:04:43 PM » Insert Quote

So,

Buying with a set direction = collecting
."

Agree! my 2012 resolution is to turn from an accumulator to a collector  :)

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
So,

Thats exactly what i mean.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
According to my wife

Accumulating's focus is on QUANTITY (piling up)
Collecting's focus is on what FANCY US (could be anything)

For me I'll will just say to the non WIS "yeah, yeah, yeah ... " and walk away.  :laugh:

Regards
Tyler

Some non WIS looks at your watch "collection" and say that you're not collecting, just accumulating.
What are your thoughts on the statement, and how the hell do you differentiate "collecting" and "accumulating"  ???
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:44:51 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:29 AM »
well i bought a horrible looking watch just because.. well it was so uggly so i want it! and never bought one i didnt want in some way (sometime to cope till i have enough to buy what i really want) so maybe im a collector?
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
So,

Good definition. Personally I am a collector.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »
I leaned the lesson the hard way... Better off save the $ for something you really after than spending it on something that is a "subustitute" it. You may like it/love it at first sight but it is not the "one" you are after. So in the end u will just have no more "spark" between you and the watch and the watch will end up in watch box for most of time.

And if that happend, you will have hard time to sell off the item (unless its watch that in demand) and losing money in the long run. :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: Being there, done that. I gone tru the hard way. Quite sucks when u look into it and work the number up on those stray purchases (it will be worse when you get the item first hand and most of time it will depreciate badly) . >:(

So, in my opinion just set your goals/aim right and just focus on getting it and not stray off getting something else (as in other watch that its not in your original plan) :HammerHead:

*** Of cause it will be different if you had alot of $ to spend. It a whole different ballgame then. :Cheers:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:34:35 PM by Gigi »

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
I guess it goes something like this:-

A collector:

(1) Rolex 6542 GMT, (2) Rolex 1675 GMT gloss dial small GMT hand (3) Rolex 1675 GMT matt dial, (4) Rolex 16750 matt dial, (5) Rolex 16750 gloss dial, (6) Rolex 16750 gloss spider web dial, (7) Rolex 16700, (5) Rolex 16710 GMTII with lug holes (6) Rolex 16710 without lug holes, (7) Rolex 16710 with "stick dial" 3186 movement, (8) Rolex 16760 fat lady, (9) Rolex GMTII ceramic.

...all safely stored in a nicely polished burgundy hard wood box.

An accumulator:

(1) Q&Q quartz watch, (2) Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionelle World Time (3) Casio Baby-G (4) A Lange Langematik Anniversary, (5) Rolex 5512 but with 5513 caseback bought from online seller from Hong Kong who likes to display his watches on a leather couch, (6) Seiko 6309-7040 with 6105 hands bought from Philippines online seller, (7) Barnie Purple Dinosaur watch, (8) Rolex Sea-Dweller (Petaling Street edition) (9) ABBA 30-year anniversary concert made in china watch (10) Rolex Submariner white gold blue dial (11) Shanghai 19J Made in China watch with Mao Zedong waving hand...

.....all stashed into a rusty old Khong Guan biscuit tin.

I guess most of us are somewhere in between the extremes.....

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »

Rolex 5512 but with 5513 caseback bought from online seller from Hong Kong who likes to display his watches on a leather couch

Hahahahaha I think I know this seller.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »
Seiko 6309-7040 with 6105 hands bought from Philippines online seller

Come to think of it, I might know this one as well.....

Offline bwee

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 09:20:53 PM »

A collector:

(1) Rolex 6542 GMT, (2) Rolex 1675 GMT gloss dial small GMT hand (3) Rolex 1675 GMT matt dial, (4) Rolex 16750 matt dial, (5) Rolex 16750 gloss dial, (6) Rolex 16750 gloss spider web dial, (7) Rolex 16700, (5) Rolex 16710 GMTII with lug holes (6) Rolex 16710 without lug holes, (7) Rolex 16710 with "stick dial" 3186 movement, (8) Rolex 16760 fat lady, (9) Rolex GMTII ceramic.

...all safely stored in a nicely polished burgundy hard

I would put all of them in a safe!

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
What about the underline dial, the exclamation mark, the mini dial and rail dial? All exist inside the 1675 model.

Also the white dial 6542 and dauphine hand YG no crown guard ... ... (I'm beyond redemption ... :-\ ...)

Regards
Tyler

A collector:

...all safely stored in a nicely polished burgundy hard wood box.

An accumulator:

(1) Q&Q quartz watch, (2) Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionelle World Time (3) Casio Baby-G (4) A Lange Langematik Anniversary, (5) Rolex 5512 but with 5513 caseback bought from online seller from Hong Kong who likes to display his watches on a leather couch, (6) Seiko 6309-7040 with 6105 hands bought from Philippines online seller, (7) Barnie Purple Dinosaur watch, (8) Rolex Sea-Dweller (Petaling Street edition) (9) ABBA 30-year anniversary concert made in china watch (10) Rolex Submariner white gold blue dial (11) Shanghai 19J Made in China watch with Mao Zedong waving hand...

.....all stashed into a rusty old Khong Guan biscuit tin.

I guess most of us are somewhere in between the extremes.....

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:47 AM »
What about the underline dial, the exclamation mark, the mini dial and rail dial? All exist inside the 1675 model.

Also the white dial 6542 and dauphine hand YG no crown guard ... ... (I'm beyond redemption ... :-\ ...)

Regards
Tyler

Hahaha....unfortunately the existing well polished hard wood box only has 9 slots. Need to get a new box first...this time an antique looking treasure box used by the Tsar of Russia.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »
So,

Thats exactly what i mean.

Oops....I am buying with a direction that I will not sell my watch.

Am I collecting or accumulating?