Author Topic: #OMG moment  (Read 17897 times)

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
Re: #OMG moment
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
Hi Meor, the B&R velcro strap surprisingly did not look out of place matched with the Tuna puck. You may just start a new trend hereafter.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
Actually bro, after consulting my parts catalogue reference, the original Seiko issued strap for your SBDX011 should be code DFL3EB which is available at Seiya.

The one you mentioned R01X011N9 is the upgrade strap which can fit the tuna but is way more expensive.

Thanks for the info. The former is rubber while the latter is silicon. Looking at the likelihood of failure of rubber to be higher, I'll go for the latter.

May not be the same as the original but at least it is still a SEIKO with titanium bits. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
Hi Meor, the B&R velcro strap surprisingly did not look out of place matched with the Tuna puck. You may just start a new trend hereafter.

Thanks for highlighting to me. I realised that I got one B&R Velcro strap as part of the presentation package when I bought my B&R BR02 diver a few years ago. Let me try to find it and see how it suits the Emperor.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 07:30:35 PM »
Actually bro, after consulting my parts catalogue reference, the original Seiko issued strap for your SBDX011 should be code DFL3EB which is available at Seiya.

The one you mentioned R01X011N9 is the upgrade strap which can fit the tuna but is way more expensive.

Thanks for the info. The former is rubber while the latter is silicon. Looking at the likelihood of failure of rubber to be higher, I'll go for the latter.

May not be the same as the original but at least it is still a SEIKO with titanium bits. 

Yup, the latter is sillicone.
Seiko fan.....

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
#OMG moment
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 07:47:05 PM »
Newer strap feel better
I hate the old emperor tuna n mm300 rubber strap
It's too hard to my liking!

I nvr wear with that at all

Now the newer strap on my sbdx014 is silicon I belief
Lighter ... Very comfortable
N likely Hv longer lifespan

Offline vinorus

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
I prefer something that can last longer, that's why I stop buying plastic watch now.
I use nylon nato for my Tuna now and it looks nicer and gets compliment from people actually.
The Daytona C in Steel is my dream watch now...

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
My second #OMG moment in as many months - this time the BR02-92...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 04:27:11 PM »
Wow...@meoramri bro

It's time for you seriously to look into your current collection that having the rubber straps. The same accident happens again.... :Startled:

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »

Bro Meor, very unfortunate. Btw, how long your BR strap lasting?

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »

Bro Meor, very unfortunate. Btw, how long your BR strap lasting?

About 3.5 years since I got it.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 06:24:43 PM »
A word of advice:

For those who has rubber strap watches. It is recommended that you check your straps annually or every 3 months for straps older than 2 years.

How to check?

1) Visually inspect the whole strap under strong lighting to see if there are any cracks or signs of fatigue apparent. If yes, replace with new strap.

2) Bend the strap in all directions, and give it a twist. Check for any signs of lessened elasticity (ie stiffness) and also signs of cracks and fatigue at the bending point. If yes, replace the strap.

All said, its recommended to replace rubber straps every 2 years or annually which is better.

To make sure straps last longer, wipe down the strap with a soft, damp cloth after every time you wear it. Leave it to air dry before storage.
Seiko fan.....

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
Wow...@meoramri bro

It's time for you seriously to look into your current collection that having the rubber straps. The same accident happens again.... :Startled:

I hear you. I have a handful that uses rubber straps. Will need to relook at them now.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2016, 07:16:02 AM »
A word of advice:

For those who has rubber strap watches. It is recommended that you check your straps annually or every 3 months for straps older than 2 years.

How to check?

1) Visually inspect the whole strap under strong lighting to see if there are any cracks or signs of fatigue apparent. If yes, replace with new strap.

2) Bend the strap in all directions, and give it a twist. Check for any signs of lessened elasticity (ie stiffness) and also signs of cracks and fatigue at the bending point. If yes, replace the strap.

All said, its recommended to replace rubber straps every 2 years or annually which is better.

To make sure straps last longer, wipe down the strap with a soft, damp cloth after every time you wear it. Leave it to air dry before storage.

Thanks for the advise bro!

Offline vinorus

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2016, 07:50:47 AM »
I think rubber shining lotion works for prolonging the usage.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »
How about those expensive rubber straps like Rubber B and Isofane?

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 08:34:19 AM »
I used to be in the rubber industry.
The only visual way that you can check if the rubber is aged or not is to bend the rubber and look at it bend area with a magnifying glass(if it's just starting to aged,you can't see it with your naked eye).
If you see minute cracked lines,than it break eventually...time to change.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »
How about those expensive rubber straps like Rubber B and Isofane?

As long as not metal. All other materials made strap will break eventually. Thick leather and nylon certainly last longer than rubber.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »
Rubber B & Isofrane is better and should last longer as they are made with synthetic sillicone based rubber.

The B&R and typical Seiko rubber straps are made of natural rubber so they tend to break after awhile.
Seiko fan.....

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »
The "tend to break after awhile" period is very subjective as it depends on the wearer.
I think the best way to prevent the "OMG" situation is to do some checking every once in a while.
Although the metal bracelet last longer and it doesn't break.the screws of the link can sometimes loosen by itself and drop off,when that happens....OMG!!.It happens to me once with my Cartier Santos :Startled:

Offline gchee

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
To prevent and prolong it's life. Try to wear it often. The longer it stays in storage the quicker it will deteriorate. 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
To prevent and prolong it's life. Try to wear it often. The longer it stays in storage the quicker it will deteriorate. 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I think that applies to shoes,not too sure if it's the same with watch bands

Offline vinorus

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »
Interesting topic... I have an 20 year old G-Shock, I changed straps every 3 to 4 year, but the outer case in soft plastic totally broke into pieces and the screws at the front is exposed. Making me stop using that. Bad experience, maybe.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »
Interesting topic... I have an 20 year old G-Shock, I changed straps every 3 to 4 year, but the outer case in soft plastic totally broke into pieces and the screws at the front is exposed. Making me stop using that. Bad experience, maybe.

Rubber or plastic material casing is not meant to last forever. When it's time that due to change then it must be changed. :Cheers:

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »

Rubber or plastic material casing is not meant to last forever. When it's time that due to change then it must be changed. :Cheers:
I hope my Corum Tide Rubber back doesn't suffer the same fate :Praying:

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2016, 06:38:46 AM »
The "tend to break after awhile" period is very subjective as it depends on the wearer.
I think the best way to prevent the "OMG" situation is to do some checking every once in a while.
Although the metal bracelet last longer and it doesn't break.the screws of the link can sometimes loosen by itself and drop off,when that happens....OMG!!.It happens to me once with my Cartier Santos :Startled:

Put some threadlocker on the screw thread, or UHU Glue in a pinch.  ;)
Seiko fan.....