Author Topic: Never buy a Brand New Watch !  (Read 9918 times)

Offline Calvin002

• Freshie
Never buy a Brand New Watch !
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »
Hello friends,

Which do you think is better, getting a brand new watch or a pre-owned watch and why?

Offline dualcarb

Re: Never buy a Brand New Watch !
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 08:13:34 AM »
If it's a keeper, then why buy brand new? If you intend to flip, or if it's s discontinued model or a birth year watch, then pre owned.
I bought a watch when each of my children were born, and I intend to gift it to them when they turn 21. So these I bought brand new. It seriously is up to you and your budget. No right or wrong answers here.

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »
If it's a keeper, then why buy brand new? If you intend to flip, or if it's s discontinued model or a birth year watch, then pre owned.
I bought a watch when each of my children were born, and I intend to gift it to them when they turn 21. So these I bought brand new. It seriously is up to you and your budget. No right or wrong answers here.
you have room for adoption? :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
you have room for adoption? :Laughing_on_floor:
Sorry Kenji...My wife only wanted to have two kids...no more. And I am too poor to adopt anyways... ;D

Offline theseira

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »
Depends on the piece. if easy to get (like a rolex subC) I would go for the secondary market and save some money.

If it is a hard to obtain piece and secondary pricing is close to new, I would prefer to get new.

Offline Nickmax

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 02:00:46 PM »
As for me, I am price-sensitive (a better way to label myself as cheapskate  :Laughing_on_floor:). Therefore, I will always go for pre-owned watches BUT with thorough research.

Offline rrk

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »
In my early years of collecting watches I would only buy brand new and from ADs only. But as my tastes changed moving more towards vintage or discontinued watches I had no option but to buy used watches (though I usually send it to the authorized service center for a overhaul/servicing).

As of now I havent had any bad experiences yet. So, I would buy if the right watch is available at the right price.

Offline kygan711

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 08:06:30 PM »
I am sometimes in dilemma on this too.
Especially for Panerai, a 1-3 year old watch could be like 2-4k discount from new.
And some 5-8 year old watch could be 5-6k difference.
Given the age and I think this are quite small discount better buy new at least i Know it's 100 percent authentic for current models which are still in production.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
Depends. If you want to use it and enjoy it with no intention to flip, you could go brand new. Pre-owned watches are ok, but you really need to trust the seller and look at the warranty of the watch. If you know your stuff, you can go pre-owned with little hesitancy.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline Timeless

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 02:03:02 PM »
Dealing with preowned watches have to be knowledged and preferably with trusted seller/shop

Offline megPrez

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »
my two cents...

i got 2 watch boxes and theyre a mixed bunch... espcially for my pams, i dont have patience to wait 1 year to get my hands on a certain model.. for these, i venture into pre-owned ones .. but that said, one has to be really careful..

Offline ywl23n

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »
It boils down to personal preference. Some people don't like used pieces and only buy brand new.

However, most of the commoners like me, who want more than a couple of watches will definitely end up having a mix of new and pre-owned. I have more pre-owned than new.

Offline AbbasHabshee

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »
Depends on the piece. if easy to get (like a rolex subC) I would go for the secondary market and save some money.

If it is a hard to obtain piece and secondary pricing is close to new, I would prefer to get new.

Have to agree with this, add up also if its a limited edition i wouldn't mind grtting in pre-owned market too!

Offline kingpin

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »
Seriously by looking at the topic "never buy a Brand New Watch !" is very confusing because after reading from Calvin002 post, the topic from a "!!" statement becoming a "??" question.

You are funny....  :Confused:
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline Konghong96

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:02 PM »
I think pre owned will be better  :)

Offline ywl23n

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 11:29:54 PM »
I like preowned too because of the cost. But now and then I see one that I go like "this is damn nice. I will keep forever and pass to my kids". Then I find yourself wanting brand new. Maybe impulsive. Expensive hobby.

Offline My G$D

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
Watch Dealer's Reputation – As Eric explains, when buying a watch, you need to make sure that the dealer selling it to you is trustworthy and reputable – so make sure to check reviews and the dealer's reputation online. It's better to buy a used watch from a great dealer than buying a new one from an dishonest one.

Condition of the Watch – In order to justify the purchase of a preowned watch, its condition must be relatively good. Eric goes one step further and states that in order for him to be swayed in favor of  pre owned, the watch has to be in “like-new” condition; otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to purchase it.

Watch Price – A used watch, even in like-new condition, is going to cost less than an unworn model. This is the main reason that customers who want to get the most bang for their buck gravitate towards the preowned market. If the difference between the new and used model is significant enough, Eric feels buying used is the better option.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
Watch Dealer's Reputation – As Eric explains, when buying a watch, you need to make sure that the dealer selling it to you is trustworthy and reputable – so make sure to check reviews and the dealer's reputation online. It's better to buy a used watch from a great dealer than buying a new one from an dishonest one.

Condition of the Watch – In order to justify the purchase of a preowned watch, its condition must be relatively good. Eric goes one step further and states that in order for him to be swayed in favor of  pre owned, the watch has to be in “like-new” condition; otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to purchase it.

Watch Price – A used watch, even in like-new condition, is going to cost less than an unworn model. This is the main reason that customers who want to get the most bang for their buck gravitate towards the preowned market. If the difference between the new and used model is significant enough, Eric feels buying used is the better option.

The above which raised only 1 question in my mind... who the heck was this Eric figure here?  :Laughing_on_floor:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Mikey C.

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »
I think it will depend on the personal preferences. If you want to save some money and invest your time to do a lot of researches, you can go with pre-owned watch. If you are not a price sensitive person than go directly with a new one.

Offline alexkemaris

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
New things make me wanna baby them more than usual. Older things with signs of wear makes me a little more relaxed.
Personal issue....

Offline cheongMike

• Freshie
  • Hi, Im Mike
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:43 AM »
any sources can get pre owned watch ? I'm looking for this as well.

Offline petiteseconde

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 12:14:50 PM »
Buy brand new if you predict/know its second-hand value is higher than the retail price. Otherwise, you're right, buy second hand from a trustworthy source.

Offline cheongMike

• Freshie
  • Hi, Im Mike
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »
any trustworthy source can intro ? thx

Offline lancet

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
FWIW

i bought a few good quality second hand ones, cheapish like maurice lacroix and baume and mercier... am quite happy with them ..
naturally the condition of the mechanism is a concern.

if u dont mind servicing them, pre owned can be a fantastic market..

if u want the whole lot.. book, box etc for the experience.. then get new.. its always nice and holds the value better..

Offline cheongMike

• Freshie
  • Hi, Im Mike
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
where do you buy ? any intro ?