Author Topic: Is the Rolex Hulk 116610LV overrated?  (Read 10424 times)

Offline flatcap200

Is the Rolex Hulk 116610LV overrated?
« on: July 30, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »
For some time now, the watch on the lips of many has been the ubiquitous Rolex Sub Hulk 116610LV.

Retailers have marked up new ones to RM50k or above and used ones at RM43k+. Considering its Sub DNA and the fact that adding just a few more grand $$ would find you in pre owned Deepsea Blue territory, why chase the green monster?

Adding insult to injury, one might go on to argue the availability of other more reasonably priced items namely Deepsea 44mm, Date/No Date Sub etc.

Perennial question: Is the Hulk purely a case of excess hype and far reaching commercial appeal? Is it the investment everyone hopes it to be? Is discontinuance imminent?

Also take note of the cool Rm17k+ premium above retail. A 50% premium on something whose rarity hasn't exactly attained grail status (eg Daytona SS Zenith or Inv 6 variant) seems to set off the RUN signals  :shocked1:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:40:59 PM by flatcap200 »

Offline spayre

Re: Is the Rolex Hulk 116610LV overrated?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
For some time now, the watch on the lips of many has been the ubiquitous Rolex Sub Hulk 116610LV.

Retailers have marked up new ones to RM50k or above and used ones at RM43k+. Considering its Sub DNA and the fact that adding just a few more grand $$ would find you in pre owned Deepsea Blue territory, why chase the green monster?

Adding insult to injury, one might go on to argue the availability of other more reasonably priced items namely Deepsea 44mm, Date/No Date Sub etc.

Perennial question: Is the Hulk purely a case of excess hype and far reaching commercial appeal? Is it the investment everyone hopes it to be? Is discontinuance imminent?

Also take note of the cool Rm17k+ premium above retail. A 50% premium on something whose rarity hasn't exactly attained grail status (eg Daytona SS Zenith or Inv 6 variant) seems to set off the RUN signals  :shocked1:

i could be wrong but in my opinion of why the hulk...
1. its green and not many watch makers could pull this off
2. its green but sometimes black in certain lighting angle (based on what i saw from other forums and youtube video)
3. its been always speculated that it will be discontinued but who knows when?
4. its a rolex... either you know someone but i would safely says its hard to get a sport model at retail price (you can put your name into a waiting list and continue to wait

True, at the prices where it is today, one could get other watches like sub, sea-dweller, etc but not many are eye catching like the green on the hulk

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:44:11 AM »
Short answer: Rolex and Irrationality

Long answer: look its Rolex...and this is green which is rather unique for a luxury watch and speculatively going to be discontinued. This is a perfect recipe for crazy price. Regardless, rolex and irrationality come hand in hand. If people are paying 50%, 100% or 200% over the retail price for SS model where you can almost get a precious metal watch or better watch from another brand, you won't find any fundamental supporting the price, its purely "demand".

Anyway personally I would not buy the hulk. I would say for a green watch it is nice but to me its too "stand out". I'm more of a understated rolex person i.e. explorer 1/2, OP. Of course if I can get it at retail price then lol that is like arbitrage.

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »
Haha...Great answers.

Problem is...speculation has too big a role in the whole affair. If discontinuance does not play out and the market continues to be flooded with units (no doubt from profit takers the world around), I think we can safely say where the price will head  ;)

I guess it all comes down to 1 important thing...buy it coz you love it!

As for me, there is far better value out there i.e. DSSD 43, SD40, Sub no date etc. List goes on.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
Haha...Great answers.

Problem is...speculation has too big a role in the whole affair. If discontinuance does not play out and the market continues to be flooded with units (no doubt from profit takers the world around), I think we can safely say where the price will head  ;)

I guess it all comes down to 1 important thing...buy it coz you love it!

As for me, there is far better value out there i.e. DSSD 43, SD40, Sub no date etc. List goes on.

Yes...the SD40. that is my next watch hunt - here to my fav no cyclop date window.

Offline sew2828

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »

You know why? because Rolex Logo is green colour, Hulk will never outdated, unless Rolex change their logo colour.

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »

You know why? because Rolex Logo is green colour, Hulk will never outdated, unless Rolex change their logo colour.

Green on Green on Green = $$$. What a winning formula  :thumbsup:

Offline andy99

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
With this kind of demand, comes with this kind of price. :Confused:

Offline yehlai

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
with that price, just slightly top up a bit you can get a Rolexor Daytona Zenith movement, if you're luckier maybe it's an inverted 6 with vintage clasp.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 07:00:01 AM »
Yes...the SD40. that is my next watch hunt - here to my fav no cyclop date window.

Well, if you have a personal no-premium policy, I don't think that you could have an easy time looking for the SD40. I used to have a piece, and I got it at a discount as it was not a highly-demanded piece at the ADs. Flipped it off after it was discontinued, as it's not generally the most comfy-wearing model- kind of top-heavy compared to the bracelet. But it's Cyclops-less so it's kind of cool wearing it in the wild. Not so much with the SD43 these days.

Different story altogether with the SubCs- I bought and flipped so many pieces of these in LN, LV, and LB as they're great to wear. I flipped off a piece, I'll want another, and since I liked wearing new pieces, it works for me. Plus I have a network of friendly ADs so I don't have as much issues getting 'em.

And coming to the LV, you need to see it in real person to gauge how nice it really is. I was like some of you guys once- thinking that it was just a green piece with crazy prices. But after having it, you would find that it wears differently than that of the LN; and both could be kept in the same collection as long as the financials permit. So there's really no right or wrong answers here.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
I prefer the Kermit over the Hulk. Sunburst dials aren't my thing.

The premium is too high for me on that piece. Green doesn't match as easy as black or blue I feel with your clothing. Which is why I opted for the BLNR (Batman) instead.

Having said that, most Rolex are overhyped and the second hand dealers have ruined the Rolex market. If you still want a Rolex, get ready to pay the premium. I was OK with paying a 5k premium to get my Batman, but would I be willing to pay a 20k premium to get the pepsi or Daytona? Who knows  ;D
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
Looking at current prices, 44-48k for a used Hulk simply doesn't cut the mustard when there are offers for two tone Zenith Daytonas (sans box and papers of course) going for about the same price. With any luck, one might even come across the inverted 6 variants. In my books at least, that is an awesome piece.

Of course without the caveat of limited funds, the possibilities are endless aren't they...

Offline Henry T

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
Overrated only in the price sellers are asking for it. The watch is nice and cool looking.  :)

Offline Steen

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 01:12:25 AM »
Yes - I believe it is overrated for what it is. The hype for the watch far surpasses justification for the premium on the steel Daytonas - and I always think the Daytona is worthy of a premium far more than the Hulk, at least being unique in the sense of being Rolex's only cosmograph watch.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 01:53:20 PM »
The Rolex Hulk is actually not an overrated watch. It is a nice watch from Rolex, unique in the fact that it is Green. It is only overrated if you pay premium for the watch. At retail it is a great watch. Sadly as with many Rolex watches at the moment, many are buying not to wear or keep but to flip for a profit.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
Rolex has mastered the art of controlling supply and demand, and marketing. This plus the fact that the Rolex Sports Watch design is arguably one of the best in watch history....i am not surprised that prices for all Rolex Sports models keep rising (some more than others).  I think we, the Rolex fans and buyers, are mainly to blame for these exorbitant prices. Is the Rolex Hulk overrated? One could say that all the Sports models are overrated..... :Cheers:

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »
Overrated only in terms of exorbitant premiums.

If buyers look elsewhere i.e. tudor, omega and refuse to pay the premiums, the market will adjust.

Or is Rolex indeed the exception to basic concepts of economics & common sense?

Sent from my SM-C710F using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »
Rolex and Seiko 5, both reliable tool watches.

But Rolex has learnt the art of marketing a tool watch as a luxury item and grown an army of resellers who are ever ready to snap up controlled stocks of watches which have been hyped up by fans.

It's like an avalanche as there are buyers out there who are able to afford the premiums on the steel watches. RM50,000 is less than 20,000 in SGD/USD/EUR so that could be considered cheap luxury.

As TheHobbit said, Rolex watches aren't overrated. They're infinitely reliable and very attractive looking. But the market prices for steel models are spiralling out of control.

Offline kbng

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »
When a product story become a “belief”, nothing is over rated. Same to other luxury item such as sport car, art painting or sculpture, or hand bag. Marketing strategy is very important, well formulate+Technology+know how+time+efforts = product differentiation.

Offline roystock

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
Yes. It is overrated. I looks ok with polo T but doesn't go well with suit or, even, the typically office attire.

Offline jamestan119

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »
wento pavilion rolex the sales told me need to wait 3 years...wtf

Offline tcken

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 11:08:31 PM »
lol. I put my name on waiting list years ago and now I still haven't heard any new from them. Endless waiting with no deadline. it will never come.

Offline flarev

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
lol. I put my name on waiting list years ago and now I still haven't heard any new from them. Endless waiting with no deadline. it will never come.
Same here no calls still haha

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline tcken

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »
Same here no calls still haha

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

The silliest thing I did is put my name throughout almost all the AD in KL.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline josephw

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
I am not sure whether HULK is overrated or not...lately many are chasing for this and price is changing almost every week if not by days. What is going on? Are they expecting this to be discontinued next and price will shoot up after that?