Author Topic: Nomos Metro  (Read 11163 times)

Offline Gilthoniel

Nomos Metro
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »
Which watch brand gives you complete in house movements at 'affordable' prices? Seiko of course. But what if you are looking for something more? This is where Nomos comes to mind. Made in Glashutte, Nomos watches have always been known to give good value as their watches come in their very own in house movements at low starting prices (~USD2000 and above).

The Nomos Metro was launched last year and Nomos outdid itself again. For such a young company, they have managed to build their own escapement. Dubbed the swing system, their movements are now completely in house. Not only that, the Metro was also one of their more 'bizarre' designs compared to the Bauhaus inspired Tangente or Orion.

I've been wanting to get a Nomos Metro for months now. Their online store always shows up as out of stock for the Metro and waiting time is anywhere between 3 and 6 months. During my recent trip to Hong Kong, I was expecting not to find the Metro and instead I bought the Tangente from the first watch shop I went to. The Metro, as expected, is out of stock in the whole of Hong Kong, said the salesperson.

I went to another shop as I had to get another Tangente for a friend, and surprise surprise! The Metro was in stock! Last piece available. So I got the Metro instead and the earlier bought Tangente will be heading to my friend.

Now let's talk about the Metro

The Metro has a very unique dial. The dial is silver plated and it gives off a sheen when in sunlight. The sapphire crystal is slightly domed, giving off a shadow just around the edge of the hour markers. The hour markers are black dots except for the 12, 3 and 9 o'clock position which are mint green in colour. Minute markers are right at the edge of the dial. The hands are glossy black and their tips are needle thin. The power reserve indicator is located at the 12.30 position. Some forummers have complained about the Metro's fresher design and the lost of the symmetrical design found in the Tangente, Orions, etc. But I love the way the Metro looks. It's unique and the urban design is very fitting to launch the new Nomos Swing System movement.

I was very worried at first about the size of the watch. At 37mm, it is the smallest watch in my collection (not counting wife's watch) but the thin bezel (almost non existent) makes this watch wear like a 40mm and it looks perfect on my 7 inch wrist.

The nicest part of the Metro is the power reserve indicator. It is a circle with an opening which is white when power reserve is full, and red when it dwindles down. When you wind the crown, the power reserve moves as well, with the opening going anti clock wise and the red bar will slowly disappear and be taken over by a completely white bar. This allows the face of the Metro to be altered as time passes.

The seconds subdial has a red seconds hand, complementing the power reserve indicator. The huge date window at 6 o'clock is typical Nomos. Big and very legible.

The crown is smallish and thin, but the knurled design (dots on the crown) gives good grip and winding the watch is quite smooth.

The DUW movement is the latest by Nomos and the movement is decorated with Glashutte ribbing and perlage. Very nice.

The lugs are wire lugs, very retro in looks, and the strap is a Horween Cordovan Shell with quick change spring bar system. This makes swapping out straps easy and quick.

Compared to a Tangente, another classy watch, the Metro can hold its ground well and if you have the budget, having both in your collection is possible as they are very different in design. Otherwise... Metro gets my vote :)

Thanks for reading and if you are a fan of Nomos, do post some wristshots of them too!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:41:16 PM by Gilthoniel »

Offline keanewoon

Re: Nomos Metro
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
I always have concern on the service part. What is the recommended service interval and where can we send for service in malaysia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gilthoniel

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
Good question... I'm also not sure

However during first two years of warranty nomos will arrange for pick up and shipping whenever you need servicing.

Offline Clicko

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
You have a very nice Metro. The look is fresh and modern.

Offline Gilthoniel

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:39:19 PM »
Thanks Clicko

I'm really enjoying it. All the other watches are on a backseat now. Hehehehe

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
Good article and extremely poisonous as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline Shiang

• Hello! Hello!!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 06:53:38 AM »
Great write up.

Congrats on your latest acquisition.

Offline Gilthoniel

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »
Thanks all... Nomos is really an understated brand. It's not gonna get you any approving looks when you are in a bar or a restaurant

Watches from NOMOS are for someone not looking for accolades, but rather subtle excellence in both form and function. It is a watch that will please you and you alone each time you glance down at it.

I still glance down at the Metro from time to time just to admire its looks... fantastic

Offline watzisname

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »
Impressive watch and impressive collection  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope to own a Nomos one day  :Praying:

Offline keanewoon

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:25:58 PM »
Always wanted to get a damasko da37. Now i need to reconsider  :Cheers:

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »
Impressive review bro! Love the Metro. Sell that cocktail time and upgrade to a Grand Seiko!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
Always wanted to get a damasko da37. Now i need to reconsider  :Cheers:

why? damasko despite lately quiet due to same old design
but they built quality stuff.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »
Impressive review bro! Love the Metro. Sell that cocktail time and upgrade to a Grand Seiko!

:Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana:
GS is defferent class...

Offline keith lim

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »
Great piece, simple & gentle

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »
Thanks all... Nomos is really an understated brand. It's not gonna get you any approving looks when you are in a bar or a restaurant

Watches from NOMOS are for someone not looking for accolades, but rather subtle excellence in both form and function. It is a watch that will please you and you alone each time you glance down at it.

I still glance down at the Metro from time to time just to admire its looks... fantastic

Could not agreed more with your statement, NOMOS are one of its kind.

Offline arilim

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 05:02:19 AM »
First seen this watch Nomos Metro at Hour Glass. Really love the sleek and simple design. Special the sandwich dial date indicator.

Offline The Middle Man

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 03:58:50 PM »
Nomos design is good, the only problem with them is the strap.... it looks so cheap....

Offline TrueLemon

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 07:03:40 PM »
Shell Cordovan and its shiny nature definitely detracts itself from the actual quality, but it is very durable. On a side note, Metro is also the first Nomos that I liked, great piece.

Offline Hansyong

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 04:50:31 PM »
A watch with a character  :thumbsup:

Offline DonFlamingo

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2022, 05:06:12 PM »
Love it, design has a very avant garde feel to it.

Offline afiq asyran

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 02:34:44 AM »
Only Nomos owners would know: daily cranking to unwind the spring is so smooth compare with other watches. I have the Club campus. If i have the opportunity to start again, I will choose Ahoi Neomatik with white dial and only one.

Offline hoho1111

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2023, 06:58:32 PM »
Got the same watch. Very unique piece. Looks simple and bauhausy yet it becomes complex as you study the dial more