Author Topic: Panasonic GF2 VS Nikon J1  (Read 12006 times)

Offline gloomis

Panasonic GF2 VS Nikon J1
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:26:40 AM »
All taiko, sifu, photograher....

I m noob for camera, so i need advise on the above 2 camera on quality of photo, easy using on all the mode (macro, scenery, night scene n etc). please share your experience if you own either 1 from the above.

Thank you

Offline chin

Re: Panasonic GF2 VS Nikon J1
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »
Throw in Sony Nex (3/5 depending on your budget) into the mix.

Was eyeing the GF3 but ended up with the NEX after doing some research

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
I my self also torn between mirrorless and dslr... Nex-5, 600d or d5100?

Offline gloomis

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:51:07 AM »
i used to own dslr cam but due to frequent travel, i found that it become a burden especially nid to hike o involve long distance walking o climbing.

so i change to normal digital cam. but after 5yrs my canon ixus finally retired so now hunting a new one. so that's y considering this 2 brand.

Offline chin

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:05:59 AM »
You can try some internet sites to compare the specs. I like this 1 - http://snapsort.com/compare

Offline gloomis

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:36:47 AM »
chin, i try compare oledy. i just wan some feedback if anyone here is using either 1 of this model. coz using and study is abit different.

i went to nikon center try the nikon j1 before but seems like quality is not as what they mention on their website. that is why this post is here. another hand i borrow a panasonic lx5 to china which takes very nice photo.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:19:21 AM »
Just my opinion...

I think it's really depend on your personal shooting style... what you like to shoot etc... i think now a day all camera produce decent image quality.. i saw some nice photo from GF1/2 and J1 as well... i got it from some magazine and from some forum feedback, some ppl love the nikkor 1 or j1... of course, no perfect camera in this world..it's all depend really what you want to shoot (said it again :D)... that's why most of the time we end up with few camera... you might only know what want after purchase one ;)

But, if you were to choose GF2, why not look into the new GX or Olym EP3? I tested both really not bad but i will not buy since i dont' have any m4/3 lenses and will not want to invest into another new set of lenses at this point ;)

Also, in long run, what type of lenses do you prefer (or how economically available to us)... looking at the market now, m4/3 seem like a better choice compare to the new Nikon new mirroless's mouth ;)

My comment may not help you but hopefully it help to give you a bit if idea what you should consider ;)

Offline gloomis

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »
i take all advise. hahaha.

suppose to bought gf2 but nikon launch the j1 before i bought the gf2. more option. why not gfx o gf3 is becoz i don like the weight. i m quite frequent traveller. so my experience tell me i nid something lighter.

olympus will not be my choice at all as i gt very bad experience with camera during travelling to dubai. i wasted whole trip becoz the camera battery life was short, not even half day even with whole nite charging. so is a no no. hahahhaa.

Offline silverstan

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:20:58 AM »
oh... run out of battery, that's pain during traveling.
Maybe that's just individual case? my Olympus battery can last for 300-400 shots.
I always get a spare battery for my camera.

camera worth to consider, Fujifilm X10 (small sensor, but good performance), Panasonic GX1 (very good performance m43).

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »
300-400 shots seem very low?
My Nikon D7000 can last 600-700 at least.

Offline silverstan

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »
that's the disadvantage of camera without viewfinder lo....  :(

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:02:05 AM »
both i think not that heavy la .. yours camera, you decide :)

i'm about to get the Ricoh GDR4 maybe end this month.. hehehe... it's light, 28mm/F1.9 for street and daily shooting.. maybe no good for portrait.. but for travel i think it's good... ask Danny, he has one :)

oh, i always extra battery whenever i bought a new camera (all my camera come with 2 batt :)) and i carry 2 batteries most of the time... kia su but it worth it..trust me ;)

Offline gloomis

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36:48 AM »
oh... run out of battery, that's pain during traveling.
Maybe that's just individual case? my Olympus battery can last for 300-400 shots.
I always get a spare battery for my camera.

camera worth to consider, Fujifilm X10 (small sensor, but good performance), Panasonic GX1 (very good performance m43).

battery flat in olympus camera is not 1 case happen around. my colleague oso having the same prob with the olympus camera so i think is enough. n FYI the panasonix lx5 i bring to china, 1 full charge can take up to 700 shots in a day. so gf2 is 1 of my option as i like the IA mode. superp n really inteligent

Offline gloomis

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 04:38:53 AM »
both i think not that heavy la .. yours camera, you decide :)

i'm about to get the Ricoh GDR4 maybe end this month.. hehehe... it's light, 28mm/F1.9 for street and daily shooting.. maybe no good for portrait.. but for travel i think it's good... ask Danny, he has one :)

oh, i always extra battery whenever i bought a new camera (all my camera come with 2 batt :)) and i carry 2 batteries most of the time... kia su but it worth it..trust me ;)

actually i m about to final with panasonic as it really takes very good quality photo juz with 1 IA mode. just wan to know if there is any nikon j1 user here to make a bit compare only. both is about the same price with 2 lens. :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline silverstan

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:02:42 AM »
it's really up to you which design you like.
Both camera in your list are good enough to take nice pictures.

Both can play with adapter to mount other lenses.
But Panasonic have more original lenses to support, from wide to tele and macro.

Offline gloomis

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 04:45:39 AM »
finally bought myself nikon j1, love the simplicity

Offline KennyKoo

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
congratulations, when u gonna show us d pic  :Dancing_banana:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
Congrats, gloomis.

Please share with us the pic of your cam as well as the watches taken with the J1.

Offline gloomis

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
congratulations, when u gonna show us d pic  :Dancing_banana:

wait...now still venture all the function

Offline gloomis

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
Congrats, gloomis.

Please share with us the pic of your cam as well as the watches taken with the J1.

sure will, now studying the function 1st. but this camera no macro function, so nid to get a zoom in lens in order to take close up shot

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »
Need to ride on this thread...
I have just inherited a sony alpha 100 from my nephew.
Am going over the instruction manual from the web.

Before any ado, I think its better to carry out cleaning and services by some professional.

Shuan had recommended me to a shop at pudu plaza. Other than this one places, any other technician to consider?
Thanks

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »
why need service? can't shoot anymore?

if still can snap i think just shoot until it can't la... no need to waste $ ma ;)

Offline gloomis

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »
i am not pro on this as well. but how much is the cam worth at this moment? if less then few hundred then no point sending for service.