Author Topic: Rolex waiting list  (Read 32799 times)

Offline Danielo

Re: Rolex waiting list
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »
Puts me off buying a Rolex.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
Hmmm im sure its very difficult to use the law against this practice. But happy to know if it can actually be done.

Btw just wanted to also say that supply isnt fairly choked. It is only choked for ordinary people but if u follow Instagram, you will see a handful of people with literally half dozen of daytona, GMT master, subs so...yeah. just need to have money or know the right people.

Offline ggprime

• Freshie
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »
when i wanna buy submariner, i put my name under most AD waiting list...
for a year, no one called me yet.

Offline forniter

• Freshie
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
what's even more disappointing is that when you walk in to an AD and ask for something like the Submariner HULK,

Waiting list 3 to 10 years, but from a grey dealer, place a deposit, ready to collect in 2 weeks. most of these grey dealers on facebook i believe have a very close connection with the ADs.

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2018, 12:31:37 AM »
Walked into a Rolex in Abu Dhabi, submariner need to wait a bit but not long waiting list and no need buy any other watch. Anyway, the lady happily show me the GMT ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris Yap

• Freshie
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »
I just walked into a PP boutique in London last few days asking for a nautilus (any model), the sales rep said you had to buy 2 core models before they could offer it.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 09:44:02 PM »
I just walked into a PP boutique in London last few days asking for a nautilus (any model), the sales rep said you had to buy 2 core models before they could offer it.

Thanks for sharing. May i know whether this include the ladies nautilus as well?

And what is refer to as core models?

Offline Chris Yap

• Freshie
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »
I didn’t ask for ladies Nautilus but I didn’t see them on display as well. As for the core models, that means their range of watches on display.

Offline WatchAmateur

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2018, 12:36:29 AM »

what are the core models?

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
my friend just got his Explorer 1 214270 about a month ago from KLIA 2...

he also mentioned that he saw a Sub no-date 114060 in Changi Airport Rolex AD about 2 months ago...after conversion about RM27-28k.

Seems like we can score a bit better at the airports...

I got my 114060 from Rolex Pavilion early last year...they had 2 that time!

Offline lee882888

• Freshie
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »
I heard Pavillion rolex stopped taking names as the Sales representatives said even late last year's name is still in the waiting list, for the subby and daytona

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2018, 04:45:01 PM »
Anyone know whether the ladies model for Patek Philippe is also waiting list? For example, aquanaut 5067A

Offline bjorkqvist.h

• Freshie
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
I have heard from several grey dealers that they get the popular Rolex Sports watches early by committing to buy another high ticket less popular model that AD is having trouble getting rid off... Not the most professional SOP =(

Offline mongourou

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »
Until Rolex and the other big ones figure out a way of tracking to whom their watches are really sold and start penalizing the ADs selling hot models (combined with models they do not manage to sell fast) to the grey market, we are stuck in this situation.

Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline bjorkqvist.h

• Freshie
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »
Indeed, but I would be surprised if Rolex doesn't know. So what would then be the reason for them not taking action? Maybe they see it as necessary help to the ADs to support in sell out of less popular models?

I also believe there is a certain list of people that buy frequently from AD (end consumer) who also get shortlisted for new hot models.

Offline sew2828

• Freshie
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »
Hi MWF sifus,

I would like to know whether it is still possible to walk into any boutique in Malaysia and be asked to put my name on a waiting list for a popular SS sport model?

My experience is:
-I have tried asking one of the local AD in Lot10 and that one required you to spend X amount before they allocate a waiting slot for you.
-I bought a watch from airport before and I asked the seller to help me put on a waiting list but the person was not very helpful unfortunately.

So i'm wondering if I can try get on waiting list anywhere else. I don't want to just buy a watch for the sake of establishing a new relationship with a dealer. I know the super hot SS model is probably no hope but i'm hoping i can get on the no date sub-c list at least.

Would like to hear your view! Thanks!

I don't think you can get one by waiting list in Malaysia. Do you think it is possible?

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
Wonder if anyone here ever got a call from the AD after they have been supposedly 'put' on a waiting list?

I just saw some video on youtube channel run by a young and new watch enthusiast and he just got a call from AD for his Rolex Batman. He is based in UK and got it from Bucherer, wonder if UK has legitimate waiting list. While Malaysia is just imaginery list...

Offline ethan89

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »
Wonder if anyone here ever got a call from the AD after they have been supposedly 'put' on a waiting list?

I just saw some video on youtube channel run by a young and new watch enthusiast and he just got a call from AD for his Rolex Batman. He is based in UK and got it from Bucherer, wonder if UK has legitimate waiting list. While Malaysia is just imaginery list...
B&J eh? Really happy for him since he usually acquired used pieces and now he can finally bought a brand new one.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2018, 11:15:57 PM »

B&J eh? Really happy for him since he usually acquired used pieces and now he can finally bought a brand new one.

Haha spot on. Bark and Jack. Yes happy for him too and he was damn excited. I would be too if an AD call me up for the watch i want but i think thats just a dream, at least in Malaysia.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »

Haha spot on. Bark and Jack. Yes happy for him too and he was damn excited. I would be too if an AD call me up for the watch i want but i think thats just a dream, at least in Malaysia.
Worth trying bro, just leave your name in every AD here in Malaysia and wait. Haha.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2018, 11:25:24 PM »

Worth trying bro, just leave your name in every AD here in Malaysia and wait. Haha.

Thanks man. I pretty much did that already, leaving names everywhere but until I really hear positive story from others about their waitlist experience, I don't feel any hope.

Just looking at pre owned nowadays.

Offline cn9a

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »
It is a worldwide phenomenon, and from what I know, Rolex has no interest to stop this phenomenon because this is exactly what they want to achieve. Note that the following is shared by a sales rep who used to work in a Rolex AD in America.

As a Rolex AD, you are required to buy a certain numbers of each model for every fixed period of time (Rolex sales rep visits periodically, he even said everyone in the shop will take extra care of their outlook the day he/she visits), else AD will risk to have Rolex take away their distributorship (an AD who used to carry Rolex can't survive without it, basically most of their customer base is built around Rolex), and usually they will push you a lot of non-popular model along with a few popular SS sports model. And now AD being a company needs to cash in excess stock to survive, so they use the same method to push their excess watch to grey market dealers (eg. 20 datejust with 1 Hulk purchase as a package).

Rolex basically creates an artificial shortage of supply and this maximize their profit while making their watch more prestige. So yeah the truth is this is their core marketing stretegy, and they do have the brand strength play this game and to capitalize on this so good for them (and probably those of us who wears a Rolex SS Sport Watch as this is one of the reason you are buying their watch anyways). So here you go, Rolex is the reason that this is a phenomenon in the first place.

This actually reminds me of Hermes, they are in a different league comparing to Rolex. You will never find a birkin in any Hermes you visit, instead you need to "flirt" with their sales rep and buy at least the same value of stuff (vs the bag you want) the first few times you visit in order to the opportunity to pick up a call on one fine day from your sales rep asking you to come in and view a limited selection of birkins (they probably only let you choose 2-3 colors of bag, take it or leave it), and at this point you will still need to spend more money on accessories such a scarf for your new birkin to make your sales rep happy in order to get lucky next time. Why I say flirt is because you can't tell them directly what you want, you need to hint to the sales rep, and they will hint you back, which is like in a relationship, keep you guessing at all times. Well knowing this I'm happy that I'm a simple man with simple need to own a Sub. This goes to show how good a saver our ex-prime minister's wife was to afford all of this hahaha

Offline Cocas

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2018, 05:12:31 AM »
Seems like the only way to stop all this is that we all just stop buying any SS Sport model.
With that hopefully the supply is over demand someday in the future.  :Cheers:

Offline ethan89

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2018, 06:01:56 AM »
It is a worldwide phenomenon, and from what I know, Rolex has no interest to stop this phenomenon because this is exactly what they want to achieve. Note that the following is shared by a sales rep who used to work in a Rolex AD in America.

As a Rolex AD, you are required to buy a certain numbers of each model for every fixed period of time (Rolex sales rep visits periodically, he even said everyone in the shop will take extra care of their outlook the day he/she visits), else AD will risk to have Rolex take away their distributorship (an AD who used to carry Rolex can't survive without it, basically most of their customer base is built around Rolex), and usually they will push you a lot of non-popular model along with a few popular SS sports model. And now AD being a company needs to cash in excess stock to survive, so they use the same method to push their excess watch to grey market dealers (eg. 20 datejust with 1 Hulk purchase as a package).

Rolex basically creates an artificial shortage of supply and this maximize their profit while making their watch more prestige. So yeah the truth is this is their core marketing stretegy, and they do have the brand strength play this game and to capitalize on this so good for them (and probably those of us who wears a Rolex SS Sport Watch as this is one of the reason you are buying their watch anyways). So here you go, Rolex is the reason that this is a phenomenon in the first place.

This actually reminds me of Hermes, they are in a different league comparing to Rolex. You will never find a birkin in any Hermes you visit, instead you need to "flirt" with their sales rep and buy at least the same value of stuff (vs the bag you want) the first few times you visit in order to the opportunity to pick up a call on one fine day from your sales rep asking you to come in and view a limited selection of birkins (they probably only let you choose 2-3 colors of bag, take it or leave it), and at this point you will still need to spend more money on accessories such a scarf for your new birkin to make your sales rep happy in order to get lucky next time. Why I say flirt is because you can't tell them directly what you want, you need to hint to the sales rep, and they will hint you back, which is like in a relationship, keep you guessing at all times. Well knowing this I'm happy that I'm a simple man with simple need to own a Sub. This goes to show how good a saver our ex-prime minister's wife was to afford all of this hahaha
This man know the game quite well. The Hermès buying guide is spot on. The 1:1 bundle is easier. Rolex somehow is much more difficult Imo. My wife already buying her second berkin or kelly (bought a lindy and others stuffs) but I’ve yet to hear from my Rolex sale associate albeit I’ve purchase record.

Offline lisa hasan

• Freshie
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2018, 07:55:25 AM »
Good thread to read. Thanks for sharing valuable info !