Author Topic: JLC SIHH 2014 Starhill launch- only 1 piece interested me  (Read 4296 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
JLC SIHH 2014 Starhill launch- only 1 piece interested me
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
There were 3 watches introduced to invitees on April 3rd evening but I took 2 pics of the only 1 watch that I had an interest ..
The only other MWF member there was Fong as well as several regular PuristsPro forum members….

Chronograph Ceramic GMT (Limited Edition 500 pieces) from Master Compressor series

Now just hoping the actual watch arrives soon…
Was told a certain XX number of people had already booked it…incl Fong and myself
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:35:24 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline harkensng

Re: JLC SIHH 2014 Starhill launch- only 1 piece interested me
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:50:21 AM »
500 pieces is not a small numbrr for a company like jlc. So I am not sure y they market this watch as limited edition. Also the watch is not too special IMHO.  The 751 movement is not new and jlc have used ceramic and cermet for few years oredi. Another richemont marketing strategy?? Watch already on sale online and in Europe anyway. Price is good, cheaper than the omega dark side of the moon I believe??

God bless.. :Cheers:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:16:31 AM »
I don't know what is too special. Perhaps you could share which horological piece is a very special piece in that price range of under RM 50K.
Ceramic and cermet doesn't have to be new material used in order to be launched as a material in a limited edition.
If anything I would prefer it to be a proven material instead of being a guinea pig like the Alchron from Zenith.

I buy a watch not because it is a JLC or GO or GS or AP or if it is a limited edition or if it is co-branded.
I buy a watch because it looks good on my wrist, has a proven in-house manufacture movement, has useful complications or has a unique technical feature like the Amvox 2 or is a very significant historical part of the company like the Polaris and at an attractive price point vis-à-vis other peer manufactures. An additional bonus is that it is not too common like being manufactured in 100,000 pieces per year. Being limited is relative, so is everything else. To me Limited could be 500 to another it could be 1,000 and another 1957 as in Omega Speedmaster.
As long as the particular single model I buy is not churned out in the tens or hundreds of thousands whether it is stamped as  limited or is a regular production but still produced in less than a few hundred pieces is fine with me.
How anyone else sees it is of no concern to me.

Unless I am wrong, so far the price I checked for this model is higher than the DSOTM and it should be.
Omega is nowhere in the league of JLC unless others think otherwise, in that case good for them.
At a lower price point vs JLC, an Omega may be attractive but when the price approaches JLC level that's when it is no longer an attractive and logical purchase.
Omega has some catching up to do with Rolex first before taking on JLC.
I own 4 Omegas before but I didn't find any of them special so all sold except 1 piece.
With the small difference between DSOTM and this JLC, it is a no brainer for me to go for this JLC.
If others think that the DSOTM is a better buy, good for them.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:22:01 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline harkensng

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »
Also watch is 46mm but 75x movement is small. Not balance imho. Jlc can do better.