Poll

Do you prefer manual (hand wind) movement watch than automatic watch?

Yes
9 (24.3%)
No
8 (21.6%)
No, I like both , no particular.
20 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: February 26, 2019, 10:15:05 AM

Author Topic: Do you like manual (hand wind) movement watch?  (Read 16520 times)

Offline freefighter

Re: Do you like manual (hand wind) movement watch?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »

Hmm true also, there's alot type where offers hacking winding, where it actually 'charges' the watch as we wear it, so technically it will not be over charged hahahaha

I think you mean automatic bro - Automatic watches are the ones that has its mainspring wound on the movement of your wrist, ie. which I believe is what you mean when you say 'charging'. Most, if not all mainstream automatic watches have some form of overwound protection also.

Hacking is a term I believe refers to when you pull out the crown to set the time, the seconds hand stops. There are actually watches that don't have this as a standard, so sometimes you hear of people promoting 'hacking seconds' as a feature.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »
i heard that manual movement watch cant over wind it or u will broke it

i guess this is the only down side of manual watch?

Downside? Are you kidding me?

Every mechanical system ( a watch is a mechanical system ) has a limit. If you ever wound one, there is an obvious stop that tells you that you are at 100%. Unless your fingers are numb and you can't feel anything, you should stop there.  If you take a plier at that point and force your way through, yes you will break it.

So by the same logic, all watches have a downside. You can't drop it from a table onto a hard tiled floor. Cause you will break it. Oh my, I guess that is the only downside to having a watch.

Well, to add on, I think sometimes a lack of awareness also doesn't help the cause.

I guess that's why Quartz watches are sometimes the best for the uninitiated - no misconceptions about winding, over-winding etc.. You set it, it runs until its outta battery, you change the battery. If you drop it and it breaks, buy a new one... unless its a G-Shock - that one can probably survive the hard tiled floor fall!

Offline singunsin

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 06:55:10 AM »
Now the only quartz I dream of is grand seiko JDM model sbgx063 or SBGT015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline iffy38

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 08:51:48 AM »
Freefighter

Your patience and understanding is admirable. Drinks ( teh tarik ) on me if we do meet up in the future.

The price range for quartz can get in the 5 figure range if you opt for higher end pieces. I doubt those can be disposed. But you are right about Gshocks. The rubberized ones are tough as nails. Not sure about the steel ones as the rubber absorbs a large part of any impact you can throw at it.

I guess we have sidetracked from the original purpose of this thread. Let us get back to manual wind watches now shall we?

Another good reason for manual wind watches is the lack of rotor. If the movement is highly decorated, i can see and admire the movement without the rotor getting in the way, unless it's a movement with micro rotor.

Offline singunsin

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
Freefighter

Your patience and understanding is admirable. Drinks ( teh tarik ) on me if we do meet up in the future.

The price range for quartz can get in the 5 figure range if you opt for higher end pieces. I doubt those can be disposed. But you are right about Gshocks. The rubberized ones are tough as nails. Not sure about the steel ones as the rubber absorbs a large part of any impact you can throw at it.

I guess we have sidetracked from the original purpose of this thread. Let us get back to manual wind watches now shall we?

Another good reason for manual wind watches is the lack of rotor. If the movement is highly decorated, i can see and admire the movement without the rotor getting in the way, unless it's a movement with micro rotor.

Any good manual wind watch you can intro? As I mentioned earlier my holy grail is GS sbgw series

Offline iffy38

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
I'm not an expert in this matter, but i can certainly try.

What is your budget? Are you looking for a sporty or dress piece? Does movement finishing matter to you? Preferred watch size? Large coffee saucer or classy-thin dress piece?

Offline singunsin

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
Budget if possible below 2k from my holy grail you will know I am towards dressy and simplicity design. Once consider Hamilton khaki manual wind. Don’t wind used or 15-20 yrs old watch.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »
If you can up your budget, Nomos seems to be the darling in most watch forums. Somebody was selling one in this forum for about 5k i think. Dressy and bauhaus simplicity. Pretty decent finishing too.

At below 2k, a dressy piece that I like is Orient Monarch. Look it up.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »
Freefighter

I will certainly take you up on this offer if the opportunity does come in the future.

As to Sernsin, I would echo what iffy38 says if you're looking for manual winds - Nomos tends to be a global enthusiast's favourite but you can't really get them from any AD here. You can order it online directly though.
Another cheaper alternative in the German camp with some design icon status could be the Junghans Max Bill manual wind. It is however not easy to find in Malaysia as the ADs tend to only stock the autos.

Swiss side gets a bit trickier. Using the assumption of the price of a SBGW235 (ie. RM20k or less), the only notable manual wind is the Speedmaster professional but then you'd have to accept a less simple design as no chronograph looks simple.

Perhaps if you are willing to consider pre-owned, you might be able to find a JLC Reverso Grand Taille or Classique?

Offline iffy38

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
Just say the word buddy.

The Max Bill, Reverso and Speedmaster whether new or pre-owned is way above his budget of 2k.

That is why the Orient Monarch is such value of money. Below RM1k new if you know where to shop, in house Japanese movement, 40 hr PR with PR indicator. Swiss side at that price range, you get ETA ( The Hammy ) or Unitas movement resurrected from the pocket watch universe. Nothing's wrong with that, just that In house movement get my vote.

Just noticed there is a Hammy Khaki on sale in this forum at the moment.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:48:58 PM by iffy38 »

Offline freefighter

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 04:16:32 PM »
Haha. I read his message as "2k under the price of his grail watch which was a GS SBGW series piece" - May have incorrectly assumed that to mean something around the RM 15-20k price point.

Completely concur with Orient as a strong value proposition. I reckon if it weren't a manual and under RM 2k, a long hard look at Seiko's entire catalog is worth the time too (especially JDM catalog).

Offline singunsin

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »
My holy grail is GS SBGW series, lucky enough SBGW001 around 7k-8k possible.
I know for time been i can't afford, so i dont mind purchase some cheaper get a hand of feel the manual wind watch.

I am also consider vintage king seiko manual wind. The problems is getting the vintage watches might some mechanics issue, this is hold me on, but who know after few months i might got a King Seiko from buyee.jp and will share my experience here again. ciao

Offline singunsin

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »
If you can up your budget, Nomos seems to be the darling in most watch forums. Somebody was selling one in this forum for about 5k i think. Dressy and bauhaus simplicity. Pretty decent finishing too.

TQ very much nomos is nice but is not my cup of tea watch.

Offline ajih

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
Steinhart manual wind " Nav B-Uhr 47 Handaufzug Black "

Its price is cheaper or the same as Orient manual wind watch.
i actually owned the steinhart Nav B-Uhr 47mm black..its a huge watch.. and thick as well.. 40mm is just nice as it doesnt look too big or too small..but i love the manual wind as its movement is louder than automatic.. the sound of it ticking is mesmerizing.. :D :D

Offline freefighter

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
Your best bet will likely be either from Germany or Japan.
In the German camp, if you don't mind something a little different you can check out Meistersinger. Challenge might be acquiring it as I don't think there are any resellers here in Malaysia.

Offline singunsin

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »
Your best bet will likely be either from Germany or Japan.
In the German camp, if you don't mind something a little different you can check out Meistersinger. Challenge might be acquiring it as I don't think there are any resellers here in Malaysia.

Thanks I am also notice some Russia brand like Vostok also. Just the dial and design not my cup of tea.

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
one of reasons to stop me from buying moonwatch is because of manual winding movement.
i love it

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Chris Yap

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
I would prefer automatic movements because of convenience.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
“10 Great Hand-Wound Watches For $1,500 and Under” via @watchville https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/37490/click

Offline iffy38

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Gotta love that Timex and Chris Ward C5.

If you like ultra thin watches, the EPOS 3408 is amazing too.

40mm diameter, 5.9 mm thickness with a display back at a price many of us can afford. Like RM 3-4k.

I doubt you can get automatic watch that thin unless it has a micro rotor, which we will be adding another zero to the price.

Offline flyingtoast

• Freshie
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
this,

https://monochrome-watches.com/hamilton-khaki-field-mechanical-38mm-value-proposition-price/

i've been eyeing this watch for quite some time :)
its within my sweet spot watch size too, and i've drop by their AD in Aman Sentral last month - i've made my mind to own this watch first before any other watch.
idk, there's something about the design i guess.
currently i'm wearing SNK809 but change the straps to looks like hamilton   :D

anyways, the aman sentral watch shop at ground floor offer 30% to hamilton and ORIS - not sure until when tho
Joms we go buy together! See if we could get a discount if we buy 2 lol. I’m eyeing this as my next watch as well.

Offline sew2828

• Freshie
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
I was drawn to handwind movement watch lately.

I have 11 of them now and believe their number will keep growing.

What do mwf shifu think about manual movement watch?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Personally I don't like...

Offline Stv77

• Freshie
  • Just in time
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
hand winding watch more accurate then automatic .

Offline ver1600d

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:44 AM »
one of reasons to stop me from buying moonwatch is because of manual winding movement.

The reason why Omega made the Speedmaster moonwatch a manual winding one was because it was intended to win the coveted role of accompanying American astronauts into space. Out there, there is no gravity so the rotor of an automatic will not turn so easily. This was the 1960s, before the age of quartz timekeepers.

Yes, the Speedmaster (professional version is the manual one, customers can also buy auto Speedies) the THE epitome of manual winders!

Offline koryong

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 07:46:12 AM »
hand winding watch more accurate then automatic .

How did you come to this conclusion ?  :Confused:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:57:25 PM by KYtime »