Author Topic: deep sea? not so deep in the end  (Read 3290 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
deep sea? not so deep in the end
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »

The case, in titanium, measures 46mm x 28.5mm and weighs 265 grams. The sapphire crystal is 10mm thick and has AR-coating. It is water resistant to 7,500 meters (25,000 feet; 6,000 meters or 20,000 Feet & 25% safety margin as per ISO standard 6425). It has a helium relief valve and it is anti-magnetic per ISO standard 764.

Dials can be had in silver, black carbon, blue or yellow. Movement is the automatic ETA caliber 7750 with COSC-certification as a chronometer chronograph.

MSRP is 3,000 Euros.

20,000 Feet – Limited Edition of 1,000 Pieces

After winning the world record for water resistance in automatic diving watches in 2005 with their 12,000 Feet by CX Swiss Military Watch model, Frank M. Bürgin and his team of watchmakers and engineers were contemplating their next move. Only one goal seemed acceptable – not only to beat their own record but also the new world record a competitor had set in 2008 with 3’900 meters of water resistance. The R&D team around Frank M. Bürgin thus decided to annihilate all existing records by constructing the world’s first mechanical timepiece with a water resistance of a staggering 20’000 feet or 6’000 meters – and, again, with a chronograph!

First of all they had to develop a pressure tank capable of producing a pressure of 800bar, the equivalent of a water depth of 8'000 meters. This alone proved to be a sizeable task as worldwide there are only two manufacturers of such manometers!

The team of engineers then started the intricate calculations of the measurements of the new world record holder – there can be no margin for error in a timepiece that has to withstand 750kgs per cm2 of surface area. The absolute reliability of the watch was paramount and no compromise whatsoever allowed – the safety of the diver comes first. After several attempts the virtual prototype finally took shape and prototype production started.

However, technical problems like the connection of the domed, a massive 10mm thick sapphire crystal to the titanium case had to be solved first and it took the dedicated team months to come up with viable solutions. Finally, after several nerve racking setbacks the first prototypes were produced towards the end of 2008 and the series of tests began. Crown, pushers and safety buckle underwent several static and dynamic pressure tests at the Dubois laboratory in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland – all tests were passed, the design & the calculations thus confirmed. In a next step the prototypes were sent to the Oceanographic Institute of the University of Southampton, Great Britain. For years this institute has been a reliant R&D partner of CX Swiss Military Watch™; in their pressure tanks they tested the fully functional prototypes for a water resistance of 6’000 meters and certified the positive result as per ISO norm 6425. Several more tests are ongoing at the IFREMER Institute, the French Research Institute for the Exploitation of the Sea.

deepsea :mooning:
its goes more than double deeper

Offline Leftear

Re: deep sea? not so deep in the end
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »
my all time favourite "deep sea"  :Cheers:

borrowed pic

Offline Leftear

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »
Rolex Deep Sea Special, a huge – 57mm by 40mm by 39mm - Submarine-derived watch.

borrowed pic

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »
i wish i can try this on my wrist one day....

Offline Leftear

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
Is this "deep" enough   :Cheers:

borrowed pic

Offline Kenny

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »
Rolex Deep Sea Special, a huge – 57mm by 40mm by 39mm - Submarine-derived watch.

borrowed pic

OMFG...its so cool...if i show to my dad about this i'm sure he gonna  :Laughing_on_floor:
ROLEX Submariner 16610
ROLEX Oysterdate Precision 6694
ORIS Diver Titan 'C' Small Second Date
SEIKO Criteria SNZC39K1
SEIKO 5 Military SNK809K2
TAG HEUER 973-013
CASIO G-SHOCK GD-120CM