Author Topic: Silicon Hairspring Durability Issues  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Cocas

Silicon Hairspring Durability Issues
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
Many prestige watch brands proudly announce that their silicon hairspring is so much better than the old type hairsprings.

However, they are many broken silicon hairspring cases lately.

Personally, I will avoid silicon hairspring watch totally. Not to tarnish the silicon hairspring name but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Offline dexson

Re: Silicon Hairspring Durability Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 05:12:59 PM »
Recently saw a video about an interview with the Legend Philippe Dufour.

One of the point he mentioned was that he will never choose a silicon hairspring over the conventional ones is that the former isn't serviceable. Let's say your grandson/daughter found your watch 50 years down the road and it has a broken silicon hairspring. It will not be serviceable and the whole part need to be replaced. On the other hand, if it has a conventional hairspring, a good watchmaker can always tune it back/carry out repair work and get that vintage watch running again.

That being said, he isn't against silicon hairspring and also acknowledged all the merits of it. From anti magnetism to the innovation etc...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
Not exactly familiar with the difference between conventional vs silicon, other than the fact that it is far more resilient towards magnetic field disruption. From what I notice, Omegas nowadays tend to use it in their movements. Is it something I should reconsider, buying a new omega vs sticking to more conventional hairspring?

Offline colnagolover

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 08:01:45 AM »
Silicon breaks due to fatigue of material while it is not able to be magnetised - conventional metal don't - unless corroded or stretch beyond their modulus value which is unlikely for the work it was designed to do - i think the industry is still trying to find that ideal for this - other than using some faraday cage method to block