Author Topic: What is on your wrist today?  (Read 357317 times)

Offline takashi78

Re: What is on your wrist today?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
Now thats a JLC not often seen.
From early 80's i presume?

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »
thats one cool toy! nice catch bro
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »
A hybrid!  ::) I always thought this is a cool movement.

Congratulations  :thumbsup:

Regards
Tyler

New toy !

Offline watchlow

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 08:20:36 AM »
 :thumbsup: wat a wonderful JL!!

Offline gapnap

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
I think it is from the early 90s ..ahh , not sure if i call pull this watch off cause it makes me look very uncle !  ;D

Offline takashi78

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
Hybrid?

How so?

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
A quartz movement with mechanical chronograph module. I think it was refer mecaquartz as well. The watch spot a JLC caliber 631 which is also share by IWC and Porche Design Titan series. They are quite unique in a way.

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hybrid?

How so?

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 02:50:22 AM »
A quartz movement with mechanical chronograph module. I think it was refer mecaquartz as well. The watch spot a JLC caliber 631 which is also share by IWC and Porche Design Titan series. They are quite unique in a way.

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hybrid?

How so?

I'm interested to know as well  :) is it quartz with sweep second chrono hand ? like some of the seiko chrono ??

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:12 AM »
Two part construction.

1st the time only quartz movement.

2nd mechanical chrono module that use the time only quartz movement to drive the chrono gears.

Yes it has sweeping chrono hand.

further reading
http://www.qahill.com/tz/mq/mq.html

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hybrid?

How so?

I'm interested to know as well  :) is it quartz with sweep second chrono hand ? like some of the seiko chrono ??

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
Two part construction.

2nd mechanical chrono module that use the time only quartz movement to drive the chrono gears.

further reading

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hybrid?

How so?

interesting~ now i know not only affordable brands use this kind of movement, even high-end swiss brands use them  :D

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
There is a difference between the affordable brand and the meccaquartz.

The most affordable brand's quartz chrono have minimal mechanical parts whereby a meccaquartz have lots of them (over 200 in the case of JLC)

They're not the same.

Regards
Tyler

Two part construction.

further reading

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hope this help.

Regards
Tyler

Hybrid?

How so?

interesting~ now i know not only affordable brands use this kind of movement, even high-end swiss brands use them  :D

Offline watchlow

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »

change my taste to vintage today!!

Offline h.chang

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »

Brought this Rolex Prince 1934 straight model to wear today, to make sure it runs reaonably well.

Offline Mandy

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
Nice lovely omega. Definitely a keeper.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »

Brought this Rolex Prince 1934 straight model to wear today, to make sure it runs reaonably well.

the dr watch... u r teasing us everyday my fren

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
Vintage Saturday for me today...my faithful Rado Diastar, a heirloom from the 70's...

Happy weekend guys

Cheers

Offline khanwooi

• Anything, Just About Watch Knowledge
    • Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »
hi guy

meet my New vostok Amphibia Ministry New Casing
my project on a brand unique watch is successful

i headdache on the Strap, any sifu here got special strap intro. the lug size is about 22mm

Khan Wooi

Offline Alice

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
Was on this today..

Cheers,
alice

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 01:59:38 PM »
Was on this today..

Cheers,
alice

That's a nice watch.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Any idea of the year in which it was made??

Offline takashi78

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
Hmmm didnt know JLC also made a cali dial.
Anything more you can tell us bout the watch?

Offline gapnap

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
Was on this today..

Cheers,
alice

I like  :) selling it ?

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 01:07:41 AM »
Was on this today..

Cheers,
alice

Sweet looking vintage California dial JLC.  :thumbsup:

Offline Alice

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 08:26:16 AM »
Was on this today..

Cheers,
alice

Sweet looking vintage California dial JLC.  :thumbsup:

Gapnap : Thank you. Usually I don't sell my small collection.

Inxomnia : Thank you.

Takashi 78 :
Hi.. Its been a while since I log in. How have you been Takashi? I have very little knowledge of its history but this watch was a gift from a very very dear friend of mine.
However I can share some informations gathered from the antique watch seller who sold us the watch.... This Rare Vintage Lady JLC piece was produced around 1940's or 1950's . He can't tell the actual date. During early days, Favre Leuba actually produces all  of JLC watches but market under JLC own trademark. Therefore I am not surprised if the piece am having was not originally produced by JLC but by Favre Leuba. I actually took it to the JLC Boutique in Melbourne for authentication and was really surprised. It was an original piece!!  :Dancing_banana: Here are some interesting stories.... Happy reading  :)

Clarification on Favre Leuba-JLC link.   

JLC watches was produced by Favre Leuba in the 50's-60's , at a time when Jaeger-LeCoultre was owned by the Favre family (at least from what I understood when reading official Jaeger-LeCoultre documents signed by Mr. Fabre) or at least JLC and Favre-Leuba had the same ownership or were very close in business (example being FL memovoxes housing JLC 916 movements ). At this time, the reverso wasn't produced anymore by JLC . Reverso was revived under the Fabre Leuba brand, but it had a different case (slightly larger and with sharper edges).

According to JLC historian :

- JLC was once owned by Favre family
- Reverso was revived under the Favre Leuba brand.  The famous Reverso JLC (design ) on contrary was actually produced by FL.

In 1969, JLC and Favre-Leuba were indeed very close in business as FL merged with SAPIC, who becomes SAPHIR, Mr A. Favre was once a co manager of JLC together with Roger-LeCoultre also as co-manager. Both compagnies remained within the same group until 1984.

Nevertheless, the Reverso was NOT revived under the Fabre Leuba brand, but both compagnies were linked while this icon product had been relaunched. Some Reverso might have been sold under the FL name between 1979 and 1984 but no paper or physical records were ever found by JLC historian.

Look at this interesting link between Fabre Leuba and JLC

Cheers guys,
Alice

Offline takashi78

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
Doing good Alice. Long time no see you post also.

Interesting facts you gave. Learn something new today.

But curious as to how JLC boutique determined that the watch was authentic.
Just by opening the case and seeing the stamps?
Or anything else?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

However I can share some informations gathered from the antique watch seller who sold us the watch.... This Rare Vintage Lady JLC piece was produced around 1940's or 1950's . He can't tell the actual date. During early days, Favre Leuba actually produces all  of JLC watches but market under JLC own trademark. Therefore I am not surprised if the piece am having was not originally produced by JLC but by Favre Leuba. I actually took it to the JLC Boutique in Melbourne for authentication and was really surprised. It was an original piece!!  :Dancing_banana: Here are some interesting stories.... Happy reading  :)

Clarification on Favre Leuba-JLC link.   

JLC watches was produced by Favre Leuba in the 50's-60's , at a time when Jaeger-LeCoultre was owned by the Favre family (at least from what I understood when reading official Jaeger-LeCoultre documents signed by Mr. Fabre) or at least JLC and Favre-Leuba had the same ownership or were very close in business (example being FL memovoxes housing JLC 916 movements ). At this time, the reverso wasn't produced anymore by JLC . Reverso was revived under the Fabre Leuba brand, but it had a different case (slightly larger and with sharper edges).

According to JLC historian :

- JLC was once owned by Favre family
- Reverso was revived under the Favre Leuba brand.  The famous Reverso JLC (design ) on contrary was actually produced by FL.

In 1969, JLC and Favre-Leuba were indeed very close in business as FL merged with SAPIC, who becomes SAPHIR, Mr A. Favre was once a co manager of JLC together with Roger-LeCoultre also as co-manager. Both compagnies remained within the same group until 1984.

Nevertheless, the Reverso was NOT revived under the Fabre Leuba brand, but both compagnies were linked while this icon product had been relaunched. Some Reverso might have been sold under the FL name between 1979 and 1984 but no paper or physical records were ever found by JLC historian.

Look at this interesting link between Fabre Leuba and JLC

Cheers guys,
Alice

I think the judges are still out on the JLC and FL connection. I believe there is no solid indications that FL produced watches or movements for JLC but it is the other way around. FL 'used' JLC as FL 'owned' the JLC name (still no evidence that the FL family did own JLC) with regards to the Reverso. Even that is being questioned by JLC historian.

FL history is pretty interesting none the less, what with it's links with the SAPIC group which once owned JLC and share holdings in VC and AP (and tried to buy PP). If this has continued, the watch industry will be very different today. BTW, FL also has links with Zenith, producing (don't know who made for who) FL Zenith watches in India (identified by the lack of the Zenith Star on the dial).

Apologies if this confuses the matter even more.