Author Topic: Watch on Winder or in Safe  (Read 9338 times)

Offline spayre

Watch on Winder or in Safe
« on: August 26, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
Hello all..

Just to keep the story short, there are some conflicting school of thoughts whether automatic watches are meant to be on winders or just to be kept in the safe (whether you buy watches to wear or to invest). What are your thoughts on it?

A. Damn right son! Alll of my watches are on winders (24x7)... talk about being on winder resulting on more wear on the movement are pure rubbish

B. Whoa... let me keep my precious in the safe and I trust that the movement will not get jammed up after a year due to inactvity

C. I am torn between the two, so i alternate between on the winders and between the safe (just to be safe)

D. I got only one watch, so I am not too sure what to vote on

Let me know what you think.. :)

Offline Cocas

Re: Watch on Winder or in Safe
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
B for me! :D

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »
B
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline spayre

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 05:37:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Just curious on those who replied earlier, how long your precious watches been in the safe? When the last time you took it out for a spin?

Offline dexson

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 06:51:44 AM »
B.

Sometimes i keep 2 of my fav most often wear watch in a winder. But that's it.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:32 AM »
For me, it depends on the cost of servicing that watch.

Eg:
If it is a Seiko 5, watches with ETA movement, chinese movement, i keep in on my winder when I'm not wearing for a few days.
If it is a very expensive movement to service ( or expensive antique ), i would keep it in the safe, and wear it once every 2-4 weeks. This way, u get to reduce wear and tear and keep the oils circulated. Having said that, modern synthetic watch movement oils are much less likely to gel, especially given our warm climate.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:15:46 PM by iffy38 »

Offline dommie85

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
I'm actually going for A. For me, you'll need to service your mechanical watches anyway after 5 years or so... and I rotate my watches almost every day or 2 to make sure each of them gets sufficient wrist time.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »
B for me.

Offline spayre

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
Curious on the answers so far... Was it an informed decision (means you did your research or spoke to watchmaker) or just a decision based on gut feeling? Do share...

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »
If I'm planning to keep my watch in safe for a long time, I'll make sure my automatic watch will be fully wound at least once a month. I think that is enough to prevent the lubricant from clog.

Offline ggprime

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
Ask from some second hand watch shop.
They said better not to use winder; just wound it and adjust date before wear it

Offline forniter

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
just a quick question on safes.

which safe would yo recommend? like a really big one which is almost impossible to carry unless you have more than 1 person? Or a small safe (like the ones in the hotels) will do?

Do they come and install the safe in your house? So sorry cause i dont have one, and im actually looking to get one soon

Offline Montkiaracollector

• Freshie
  • Carousell.com/montkiaraseller
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
A. for me :)

Offline Arcule

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
winder is always better if u can afford it

the main reason i use winder is to check whether the watch u bought, is really working well.

so far i have 2 case happen to me,2 new watchi. who the hell on earth would doubt tat theres problem in new watches??

u never knew there's problem if only u put it in a winder, because on winder ur watch time should be as accurate as ur phone time. my case is where error happen only like 2 week later or so. cause if u put in a winder, ur time should never run off

Offline freefighter

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
Have watched some interviews with watchmakers and watch service folk on Youtube. They have advised to not use winders as a rule of thumb. You can search this up and find them yourself.

The logic is that the mainspring doesn't ever get to 'rest' as it is always at maximum winding (at its tightest). As such, they have seen many watches brought in for service after 3-5 years which have been left in winders for long periods of time unworn, where the power reserve no longer is at the rated specifications. What they found is because the mainspring (that stores the energy for the watch movement) has not been allowed to go back into 'slack' state. They also said some modular movements have wheels that may even break due the constant need to trigger the overwinding protection.

The only exceptions to the rule, is they suggest a winder might be good for those running annual calendars / perpetual calendars more out of practicality since you'd otherwise often have to make many adjustments to get the date / month / moonphase correct - and even that they suggest you get a very good winder. They mentioned cheap ones can end up magnetising the watch and thus the accuracy (one of the biggest enemies of mechanical watches that aren't METAS or anti-magnetic).

I personally made the mistake beffore of leaving my cheap Sistem51 in a winder for months, and found later that the mechanism broke (this could be an anomaly since the Swatch is a cheaply made movement). Since then, I've found a joy in manual watches over automatics, so my Lazada acquired winder is no longer in use -> in fact I'm thinking of disposing it.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »
Have watched some interviews with watchmakers and watch service folk on Youtube. They have advised to not use winders as a rule of thumb. You can search this up and find them yourself.

The logic is that the mainspring doesn't ever get to 'rest' as it is always at maximum winding (at its tightest). As such, they have seen many watches brought in for service after 3-5 years which have been left in winders for long periods of time unworn, where the power reserve no longer is at the rated specifications. What they found is because the mainspring (that stores the energy for the watch movement) has not been allowed to go back into 'slack' state. They also said some modular movements have wheels that may even break due the constant need to trigger the overwinding protection.

The only exceptions to the rule, is they suggest a winder might be good for those running annual calendars / perpetual calendars more out of practicality since you'd otherwise often have to make many adjustments to get the date / month / moonphase correct - and even that they suggest you get a very good winder. They mentioned cheap ones can end up magnetising the watch and thus the accuracy (one of the biggest enemies of mechanical watches that aren't METAS or anti-magnetic).

I personally made the mistake beffore of leaving my cheap Sistem51 in a winder for months, and found later that the mechanism broke (this could be an anomaly since the Swatch is a cheaply made movement). Since then, I've found a joy in manual watches over automatics, so my Lazada acquired winder is no longer in use -> in fact I'm thinking of disposing it.
Thanks for sharing, very logical.
I myself also reckon that winder is for complicated watches.
How hard just to adjust time and date anyway.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 09:26:27 AM »

Couldn't agreed more upon the points you've mentioned.
I believed it is actually safe to place your watches on the winder, invest on a better one I mean.
Most of the winder now could operates in many different mode, the best mode I came across is, turning clockwise for 5 minutes, counter clockwise 5 minutes, then rest for 30 minutes, looping goes on and I will only keep the winder running up to maximum 8 hours per day.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »
The key is to set the winder correctly. Find out what movement you have, look it up online on how many turns per day required for that movement, and set it below that. Keep in mind it will still stop after maybe a few weeks because you are underwinding it, but it allows the spring to slacken.

Cheaper winders do not have turns per day setting. You get to control the time. Like 5 mins CW, 5 mins counter clockwise, stop half hour. You need to count how many rounds your winder turn in a minute, and calculate turns per day accordingly. A very good use for your chronograph function. Some movements only wind in one direction.

Yes, it is that technical and that likely explains why its not done by many, that results in movement damaged by long term overwinding.

Like all mechanical system, the more you use, the more wear you should expect. Personally, i only put pieces that are relatively cheap to service on the winder. Even so, not all the time.

Legal Disclaimer: The above constitutes my personal observation and opinion. The author makes no guarantee either express or implied on the information provided. Use your discretion before making any decisions or actions based on the comment above. Author is not liable in any way whatsoever if you suffer a loss/inconvenience/damage because of/while making use of the information above.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:00:23 PM by iffy38 »

Offline freefighter

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »
Good info bro iffy38.
I feel it might be worth me revisiting winders - but will need to find something with this level of customisation.
Any particular brands you reckon worth the recce?

Offline spayre

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
Good info bro iffy38.
I feel it might be worth me revisiting winders - but will need to find something with this level of customisation.
Any particular brands you reckon worth the recce?

There a lot of brands, depending on the budget. But most would look into the motor as good ones like mabuchi are quiet and last longer?

Offline Stv77

• Freshie
  • Just in time
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:37 PM »
Put at winder first and then put at safe when not people at house .

Offline MDF

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 07:25:01 PM »
I had my rose gold JLC Dr. Strange watch in the winder for the last 3-4 years. One day earlier this year, it no longer worked. Spent more than RM5k for the repair. So, no more winders for me. :thumbsdown:

Offline freefighter

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
I had my rose gold JLC Dr. Strange watch in the winder for the last 3-4 years. One day earlier this year, it no longer worked. Spent more than RM5k for the repair. So, no more winders for me. :thumbsdown:
Oh crap. Did JLC tell you what caused the problem or what failed ? What more given it is a perpetual calendar.

Offline MDF

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
Oh crap. Did JLC tell you what caused the problem or what failed ? What more given it is a perpetual calendar.

I think it was something about a spring or something. Not very well versed with the inner workings of a mech watch I'm afraid.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »
B. I do not own a winder and i only keep running what i am wearing. My annual calendar is kept running during my daily admiration of my current rotation.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy