Author Topic: Movement  (Read 3263 times)

Offline shamtv2555

Movement
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
Hello all, how we wanna different out, a good watch with a good movement? Althought some watch only sell brand but movement , just a low end d! Any opinion all? Althought some not famous brand, but them using it own movement.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:10:54 AM by shamtv2555 »

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
Re: Movement
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
You mean low-end brand with good movement?? Most of them use Miyota or ETA
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
A question of that nature will stir up another discussion, which is what movement can be considered good?
Exclusivity? Robustness? Easily serviceable?
I think we can agree that most brands use ETA movements... the level of finishings, decorations and tinkering done to the movement such as using more high quality parts and so on are different from one brand to another.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline sshark

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »
Don't be mistaken. using in-house doesn't mean they r good mvmt... and using ETA is a not bad thing. you have the see the watch in totality... some salesman like to compare say, IWC..., ohh u dun get pilot coz it is using ETA whereas the ingeniuer or big pilot, for the matter, use in-house mvmt. That not true.. in totality view, each has it own merits and of course the price tag too. You not gonna walk into a shop willing to spend rm10k and walk home with a rm44k big pilot becoz it has better mvmt. if u r super rich, u walk in and tell the salesman to recommend or tell them what u look for in a watch.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:38:48 PM by sshark »

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
Don't be mistaken. using in-house doesn't mean they r good mvmt... and using ETA is a not bad thing. you have the see the watch in totality... some salesman like to compare say, IWC..., ohh u dun get pilot coz it is using ETA whereas the ingeniuer or big pilot, for the matter, use in-house mvmt. That not true.. in totality view, each has it own merits and of course the price tag too. You not gonna walk into a shop willing to spend rm10k and walk home with a rm44k big pilot becoz it has better mvmt. if u r super rich, u walk in and tell the salesman to recommend or tell them what u look for in a watch.

yes, this is a good one.....although some watch only selling it big name n not the movement...

Offline kltime

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »

Ok,here's my 2 sen worth abt movements - a 'in-house' movement is of course more exclusive but it is more than reflected in the price of the watch carrying the movement. In the world of marketing,watches included,exclusive=expensive. As a sifu in here said Rolex does not sell watches but luxurious jewellery.

At the end of the day, it is your call whether it is worth it to pay such a premium when an ETA or another tried and tested standard movement can more or less be as accurate ? After all I am sure most non-WIS consumers don't even know the difference or care between a quartz or automatic much less know about what is the actual movement inside a watch.

Case in point- a standard Valjoux 7750 ( powering most medium end chronographs from Ball/Damasko/Mido/Longines etc..etc..) is reasonably accurate at perhaps -5/+5 per day which is close to COSC standards. So it does not lack from an accuracy viewpoint.

From a service perspective as well when u need to do so down the line its probably easier( tried and tested standard movement ) and cheaper as well. Plus if u need spare parts , which movement do u think would be easier to source- a standard or in-house movement?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
Instead of in-house and non in-house movements, I am more particular about the movement brands and their reputation.

I know there are China companies setup movement and watch company in Switzerland and have all their watches stamped "Swiss Made" nowadays.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
Important news: Many Grand Seiko parts are produced in Epson factory located at Tebrau Industrial Area, near Tampoi in Johor.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »
Now I know why the old watchsmith advises me not to buy GS.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 05:58:07 AM »
From a practical point of view, any movement that performed properly, rain or shine, is sufficient. If you buy a watch on practicality, this should be your position.

If you are a collector, the DNA of the movement gets priority - while performance criteria drops.

Whichever your position is, knowing what you are getting saves you a lot of heartaches later on. 
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Cocas

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 06:22:13 AM »
Yes, @meoramri bro. You got very good points here. :thumbsup:

The old watchsmith could be merely viewing the watch parts production location as part of the watch key DNA.

Looking at the brighter side. I will be more happy now if my Seiko watches stated movement made in Malaysia.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 01:46:19 PM »
IMHO, for a simple 3 hand watch up to Chronograph, any ETA/selita movement will do. Cheaper to service, better availability of parts, quicker turnaround. Don't underestimate ETA movements. Some of their higher grade movements are COSC or better.

For complications and watches with special uncommon features, yes, go ahead with in house movements.  Some watches that come to mind are Lange 1, Lange 31, Maurice Lacroix Mystery Seconds, Bregeut Tradtionale, all annual/perpetual calenders. Even extremely fine hand finishing is considered a special feature. eg: FP Journe, Phillip Dafour, A.Lange etc. If you can appreciate column wheel chronograph, then include them here too.

PS: No spell check on brand names. If i make a mistake, so be it.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:36:19 PM by iffy38 »

Offline haziqdzafer

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
i thought this refer to the MVMNT expensive watch  ::)

great input tho.