Author Topic: Sinn fans...any?  (Read 38996 times)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Re: Sinn fans...any?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »
One of our members here actually had black 857... The pvd peeled off and apprarently he tried to contact Hour Glass and sinn but no sucess.... He had to go all the big watch forums to write about his experience and lucky sinn heard it and finally deal the problem with him.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »
Some discussion about Sinn 857 and scratched bezel insert.....

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f24/857-bezel-insert-190278.html

Offline compaq

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
One of our members here actually had black 857... The pvd peeled off and apprarently he tried to contact Hour Glass and sinn but no sucess.... He had to go all the big watch forums to write about his experience and lucky sinn heard it and finally deal the problem with him.

There are several types of process for ' Black Coating ' the watch case,namely the most common entry level the PVD,which i was told since Bell Ross was one of the earliest, that the surface may scratch easily and reveal the bare steel..
Today there are many types of coatings available from different manufacturer. Some called it DLC-Don't know hard compare to Diamond,since its call DLC....until you 'ding' it !!... :Praying:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »
Sinn watches always provide a good conversation topic during GTG. It's not too common, attractively designed, some got "issues".......lots of things to talk about.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »

There are several types of process for ' Black Coating ' the watch case,namely the most common entry level the PVD,which i was told since Bell Ross was one of the earliest, that the surface may scratch easily and reveal the bare steel..
Today there are many types of coatings available from different manufacturer. Some called it DLC-Don't know hard compare to Diamond,since its call DLC....until you 'ding' it !!... :Praying:

Oh well, the reason the person person make noise  is because Sinn did not used the so called "entry level" pvd and instead using a good quality ones and claimed that the tegiment steel + black coating is hard and hence does not peel off (which doesn't happen to the person who complain about it).

If sinn had use the normal pvd process, the person wont be making noise knowing that the pvd layer would be scratched off eventually...

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2011, 06:04:14 AM »
Well, we learn new things from the discussion on Sinn watches.
Does Damasko watches also the same as Sinn in terms of being scratch-proof on the "Black-coating"?

Offline roboshar

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Does Damasko watches also the same as Sinn in terms of being scratch-proof on the "Black-coating"?

Banged my black da36 on a steel door handle and it did not leave a mark on the watch.

Offline compaq

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »

Banged my black da36 on a steel door handle and it did not leave a mark on the watch.

WOW @! that is so robust....!!

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »

Here is what Damasko said

"The Watch Case

.....we took out patents for 20 closely related martensitic sorts of stainless steel which highly exceeded our expectations. They are absolutely nickel-free, offer a good corrosion resistance, and can be tempered up to 64 HRC/800Vickers which is four times the hardness of every other steel currently used in the watch industry.
What makes this material so special is the fact that the molten steel is enriched with 0.35% nitrogen under high pressure. Nitrogen and carbon are responsible for the hardness of the alloy. Under normal circumstances it takes about 1% of carbon to temper a martensitic steel up to 60 Rockwell but the low nitrogen content of our steel only requires 0.35% of carbon to achieve this superior hardness and in addition to that leads to an excellent corrosion resistance which is many times higher compared to other temperable martensitic steels. Due to the special process of hardening we call this steel “ice-hardened, nickel-free stainless steel”. This material is patented for our applications and Damasko makes exclusive use of this pioneering material.

The entire watch case, including hardened crown and pushers is designed, engineered, and machined at our factory near Regensburg. Until the end of 2002 we supplied our cases to a well known German watch brand but from now on these cases will only be available through Damasko.
After the special heat treatment mentioned above our steel reaches a maximum hardness of 62 Rockwell which makes it superbly scratch-resistant. You have to search hard to find a common household item ( apart from a sapphire nail-file or a brick) that is able to scratch the case.
Due to its superior performances this steel was mainly created for aeronautical use in:

- ball bearings for jet-engines
- rotor bearings for helicopters
- fuel pumps of the “Space Shuttle”
- high-speed bearings in CNC lathes
- dental and surgical instruments"

Here is mine

:Dancing_banana:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline besview

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Have had my Sinn U1 for 4 years but sold off now.No issues whatsoever but then again did not wear it much.Off the shelf ran within COSC specs but lost time by the time I sold it to the tune of 6 s,a little off COSC..Mybe I am one of the lucky few with no issues.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
From my posts above, I perhaps (inadvertantly) gave the impression that all Sinns have issues. This of course is not true. I know a Sinn owner who has been wearing his Sinn chrono (the one with the discontinued Lemania movement, can't recall the reference number) for years and years and he swears the watch is working all OK.

Offline besview

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »
From my posts above, I perhaps (inadvertantly) gave the impression that all Sinns have issues. This of course is not true. I know a Sinn owner who has been wearing his Sinn chrono (the one with the discontinued Lemania movement, can't recall the reference number) for years and years and he swears the watch is working all OK.

Guess the saying that "they dun make them like they used to" holds true :Cheers:

Offline Samajaya168

• ^_^
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
my sinn U2 still excelent  :thumbsup:
AP - 15710
ROLEX - 116710
FM - GPG 9900
PANERAI - PAM 00000
CHOPARD - 168457-3005
ZENITH - 03.2430.3000/21.C738
SINN - Art-Nr. 1020.040
TISSOT - T066.427.17.047.00
OMEGA - 1513.30.00 (TRADED)
IWC -  IW500703 (TRADED)

Offline watzisname

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
Hi

Does anyone have any experience servicing their Sinn? What is their service interval like; and how much does a service cost? Do you send to the local AD or to Germany directly

I am considering a 7 year old 856 UTC. The copper sulfate capsule is still white. Is it worth considering?

Offline engkow

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
own a 303 chronograph, the chrono up down at between 11 and 12, sent to hg pavillion still under warranty expire may 2012.
they just do only observation only, they said nothing wrong with the watch that was feb 2012.

i ask what if i take back same problem, after warranty they will charge, after some argument they agreed they sent to singapore hg service center.

i receive back my watch end of april 2012, the timing is slow, adjusted a few times, sent the last time last month still slow but better now -3 second a day and the chrono have problem stop at between 11 and 12, now i just press the chrono on off, now it ok for the time being. hope no major repair in future.

Offline watzisname

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
own a 303 chronograph, the chrono up down at between 11 and 12, sent to hg pavillion still under warranty expire may 2012.
they just do only observation only, they said nothing wrong with the watch that was feb 2012.

i ask what if i take back same problem, after warranty they will charge, after some argument they agreed they sent to singapore hg service center.

i receive back my watch end of april 2012, the timing is slow, adjusted a few times, sent the last time last month still slow but better now -3 second a day and the chrono have problem stop at between 11 and 12, now i just press the chrono on off, now it ok for the time being. hope no major repair in future.

I also read before people's experience of HG playing for time then charging after warranty. Maybe should escalate to Sinn HQ in order to get their attention. I tried asking for service charges from HG but they would not provide any. Don't know how much will it cost to send back to Germany for servicing

Offline watzisname

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
Hey I'm a Sinner now!

Thanks Jason

Offline compaq

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »

I also read before people's experience of HG playing for time then charging after warranty. Maybe should escalate to Sinn HQ in order to get their attention. I tried asking for service charges from HG but they would not provide any. Don't know how much will it cost to send back to Germany for servicing

I paid about rm400 inclusive insurance when i send to Germany, few parts changed etc..etc..they returned my replaced parts back to me,unlike here they keep to recycle !
When i got it back,i saw some finger prints on the rotor and movement ! German workmanship ! Had it cleaned at Hour Glass. Running a couple of minutes fast a month..

Offline acurusaragon

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
I'd just came back from THG at the Pavi.

My cooper sulphate turn very dark blue despite desk diving only and seldom usage ...

warranty until July this year.  Hopefully they will sort it out !

Offline watzisname

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »
I'd just came back from THG at the Pavi.

My cooper sulphate turn very dark blue despite desk diving only and seldom usage ...

warranty until July this year.  Hopefully they will sort it out !

Which model are you having? Any pics of the copper sulphate?

Offline acurusaragon

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »
Mine is U2s .....

Sorry forgot to take the cooper sulphate color ... but its surely dark blue ...  maybe next time need to take it off when basuh tangan ... hehe

Offline watzisname

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
Mine is U2s .....

Sorry forgot to take the cooper sulphate color ... but its surely dark blue ...  maybe next time need to take it off when basuh tangan ... hehe

Wah how can! It's a diver watch! I'm guessing they need to send back to Germany already since need to check for leakage, change the capsule and refill Ar gas

Any idea how long is the turnaround time?

Please keep us updated on your repair thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:46:51 AM by watzisname »

Offline kwh74

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »
"If you hang out at the showroom for long you will hear all kinds of S#*t and customers complains.. I still remember recently,a customer complain her 2week old Rolex only have power reserve less than half a day,if not worn,and she use to wear it like alternate day ! Insist they replace a new watch ! And the story goes on...... :Scolding:"

The above lady customer complaint lack of power reserve of her Rolex mainly due to her low wrist activity :Cheers:, if she only spend 8 hours on the keyboard is mainly finger activity :Blue:.  This is a common complaint by lady customer as I often encounter while in the trade before.  The best solution is always give it a few winds before putting it on :thumbsup:.

That why Patek is smart to made most of the ladies model in quartz like Twenty4 :Dancing_banana:.  No lady will complaint on this matter :mooning:.

The best I ever heard was a lady customer asked me to put a new battery on her Rolex Datejust  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:02:56 PM by kwh74 »

Offline compaq

• Freshie
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »
Yeah..i heard that too,

Offline spryken

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »
I've missed the boat for Sinn U1. till now i regret