Author Topic: Is Rolex Explorer II a compared first tier Rolex watch?  (Read 5330 times)

Offline Porsche168

Is Rolex Explorer II a compared first tier Rolex watch?
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »
Jus seek you opinion as compared to other  Rolex sports watches

Offline freefighter

Re: Is Rolex Explorer II a compared first tier Rolex watch?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:38:06 PM »
I think in terms of overall desirability of Rolex Sport watches in descending order are as follows (subjective of course). It is also no surprise that the price follows this ranking.
1) Daytona
2) GMT Master
3) Submariner Date
4) Submariner No Date
5) Explorer
6) Milgauss
7) Air King

However, it really depends on what you are after. A lot of Rolex enthusiasts will argue that a simpler, more understated Rolex sports watch like the 114270 Explorer 1, or pre-ceramic Sub 14060 are also highly desirable.

I guess it depends on how much you want to 'display' that you are wearing a Rolex. If you belong in this group, stick to the top 3 mentioned above.

PS: You may even want to consider a Oyster Perpetual 39 - not a sports Rolex, but still a Rolex nonetheless

Offline Chris Yap

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »
Agreed, it’s all depends on your budget and PATIENCE.

Offline mineralwater112

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
I think in terms of overall desirability of Rolex Sport watches in descending order are as follows (subjective of course). It is also no surprise that the price follows this ranking.
1) Daytona
2) GMT Master
3) Submariner Date
4) Submariner No Date
5) Explorer
6) Milgauss
7) Air King

However, it really depends on what you are after. A lot of Rolex enthusiasts will argue that a simpler, more understated Rolex sports watch like the 114270 Explorer 1, or pre-ceramic Sub 14060 are also highly desirable.

I guess it depends on how much you want to 'display' that you are wearing a Rolex. If you belong in this group, stick to the top 3 mentioned above.

PS: You may even want to consider a Oyster Perpetual 39 - not a sports Rolex, but still a Rolex nonetheless

I feel the sub no date is more desirable than its date version sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »
Look, feel and quality wise the 216570 Explorer II is definitely a first tier Rolex. To me it's definitely right up there with the 116610 and 116710. Same awesome bracelet and clasp, same fit and finish and same accuracy. It really should be more desirable than it is right now. What gives? Is it because of its size? It does wear larger than its 42mm suggests. Is that it?

The Daytona was once the black sheep of the Rolex family that nobody wanted but just look where it is now in the popularity and value rankings. As for me I'll hold on to my Explorer II because I have a gut feeling that its about to become very popular in the near future. Let's see how that goes.

Offline flyingtoast

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
Look, feel and quality wise the 216570 Explorer II is definitely a first tier Rolex. To me it's definitely right up there with the 116610 and 116710. Same awesome bracelet and clasp, same fit and finish and same accuracy. It really should be more desirable than it is right now. What gives? Is it because of its size? It does wear larger than its 42mm suggests. Is that it?

The Daytona was once the black sheep of the Rolex family that nobody wanted but just look where it is now in the popularity and value rankings. As for me I'll hold on to my Explorer II because I have a gut feeling that its about to become very popular in the near future. Let's see how that goes.
I think you have to blame Paul Newman for the Daytona lol. As for the Explorer II, I kinda hope it does too as both the Explorer I & II are really underrated watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk