Author Topic: Rolex Daytona: Why people like SS more than 2 tone?  (Read 5208 times)

Offline yehlai

Rolex Daytona: Why people like SS more than 2 tone?
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
I think this is reflected on preowned or trade in (market) value.
But why SS demand is always higher than 2 tone? I notice this also applies to Daytona which is more like a dress watch in today standard/definition?

Personally I think 2 tone is not bad. Maybe peoples perception is 2 tone are for those who can't afford 18k or rose gold? Or gold looks oldish for youngsters? Or gold looks upstart ish? Or 2 tone more prone to scratches and ding?

Like to hear more from fellow members here.. How do you think?

Thanks for the inputs!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:35:11 PM by yehlai »

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
Re: Rolex Daytona: Why people like SS more than 2 tone?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
I tend to be a serial watch flipper, and have had quite a few s/s ceramic going in and out of my collection. The good thing is that with the prices of these pieces going higher and higher, you tend to not lose your capital during the flips. When it comes to TT pieces, I tend to appreciate them better. Old is gold, or gold means old; but the combination looks good in my eyes. In fact, I may be flipping off from a mainly s/s collection to TT collectibles as my appreciation towards these pieces build up. True, they tend not to be so well-received especially amongst the youngsters; but then again, they could just be worth collecting over the long-run. And paired with RubberB, the TT pieces would cease to be so flashy and more wearable as a beater, if one prefers it that way.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:16:25 PM by D'Andy »
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Timeless

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
I guess SS have wide range of fans than 2 tones, could be the price range makes the different though.

Offline fireken

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
Personally, I think the SS is more align with founder vision which is to create a tool watch. 2 tone is nice especially the root beer but it definitely not for everyday wear compare to SS

Offline realist

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 04:24:48 PM »
Demand in the middle east is mainly for SS because muslim menjadi are not allowed to wear gold