Author Topic: Rolex,Zenith or IWC?  (Read 15749 times)

Offline SKy Lim

Rolex,Zenith or IWC?
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:00:50 PM »
If you were given a choice on one of the above which would you go for and why?Would you choose Rolex Datejust II,Zenith El Primero 1969 Chronomaster or IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714?even if you don't go for these models which is the best choice in your opinion?

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Re: Rolex,Zenith or IWC?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:14:13 AM »
Between these three choices, i would pick the iwc just because i love the design so much but if $$$ is not an issue, have a look at iw390406 with proprietary movement instead....my second choice would be the el primero......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:09:52 AM »
Out of the 3, I would choose Zenith...  :P
For those who know me knows I like Zenith alot.
But Rolex is no slouch either... but not a Datejust II.
Looks abit disproportionate... 36mm datejust is still the best size.
Not a big fan of IWC so can't comment much... :angel:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline kingpin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:43:15 AM »
I have a dilemma on IWC & Zenith when I was with the AD but at the end, IWC choose me. Haha... I didnt choose the watch but the watch choose me.

Rolex datejust II.... not in the radar. Prefer Sub or Daytona. :). Again only my 2 cents.
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline roystock

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »
Of the 3 brands, I would choose rolex, but not datejust.
I prefer sub, GMT or even explorer II.

I also like zenith el primero 1969 (38mm). Strictly no open heart, not for me.

I always try to like IWC and eventually bought one. The pilot mark XVII now sits at the sales corner, after a few hours on wrist. A lot of people can appreciate IWC, but not me. IWC and I simply don't click  :P

Offline Spider boy

Rolex,Zenith or IWC?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:11 AM »
I love Rolex , just like how the gals like Chanel. Be it common and boring it has to be a rollie .  =)  and couldn't agree enough with Hanz that the 36mm is the rollie to go for, the dj 2 just seem in-proportionate. This a dj2 size and I have a  7.5 inch wrist . It looks well at first but after some time 36mm looks a lot smarter . ! 

36mm
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:08:48 PM by Spider boy »

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:21 AM »
My 1st preference will be Zenith and 2nd is IWC...unless the Rolex is Sub or GMT then it will be my 1st choice..hehe ;D

Offline shwn31

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:50:16 AM »
For me, first choice is zenith especially the zenith series. You cant go wrong with rolex but way too common nowadays. Everyone have rolex i think. IWC is a big no from me. Its like more to fashion watch foe me. IWC is okay to be my tenth watch. Haha

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 10:02:58 AM »
Why not choose all 3? I'd rather you ask which on to get first.

My recommendation based on the 3 models (not brand) which you have chosen:

1. Buy the Rolex first, I think its a classic and can't go wrong all rounder watch. So what if it's too common.

2. Take your time and think hard about the IWC 3714. It's a nice watch and its a classic but there are many Pilot watches in the market now to choose from. Furthermore, rumor has it there will be a revision on the Pilot line soon. Like the new upcoming teaser of the big pilot with the '9' coming back, very classy.

3. Take more time and think HARDER about the next one which is Zenith. Just my personal opinion, there's a lot classier in the Zenith stable that the El Primero 1969 Chronomaster.

P/s- I'm hardcore IWC fan btw.

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »
Back to the basic, put all 3 on your wrist and see which one feels the best.

For a start, out of the three, i think Rolex is a good choice.

I personally do agree with Spiderboy, if you opt for Rolex DJ line, why not have a try with the 36mm, it has the elegant look, and best comfort of not being hefty like the bigger brother. As for me, the 36mm DJ with chapter ring engravement or Sub C will be my choice for the Rolex, the reason i like the Sub C, other than the good classic look with lotsa modern tech improment, the solid bracelet with quick adjustment is to be lusted, try it.

Between Zenith el primero or IWC Portugese, i will opt for Zenith open heart, i could just stare at the watch extra large opening of the "heart" movement and the propeller shape second counter, without knowing the time! Well, as for the IWC, the extra large case back sapphire window and rotor, with a slim case, is what i would admire.

Well, just my tiny opinion on your 3 selections, good luck!

Offline Timeless

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »
With these choices, Lolex for sure

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »
Zenith indeed is a great brand with high quality,priced strategically,its a shame not much ppl know bout it....what do you think between zenith el primero 36,000 vph 1969 vs the chronomaster 1969?

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
I have a dilemma on IWC & Zenith when I was with the AD but at the end, IWC choose me. Haha... I didnt choose the watch but the watch choose me.

Rolex datejust II.... not in the radar. Prefer Sub or Daytona. :). Again only my 2 cents.
which zenith model u are comparing with?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »
Zenith indeed is a great brand with high quality,priced strategically,its a shame not much ppl know bout it....what do you think between zenith el primero 36,000 vph 1969 vs the chronomaster 1969?

For me, any Zenith with the Tri colour subdial will do.
The 36k vph model will be excellent.
Pricing wise I think it's slightly lower than the Chronomaster open.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 08:29:25 PM »

1. Buy the Rolex first, I think its a classic and can't go wrong all rounder watch. So what if it's too common.

2. Take your time and think hard about the IWC 3714. It's a nice watch and its a classic but there are many Pilot watches in the market now to choose from. Furthermore, rumor has it there will be a revision on the Pilot line soon. Like the new upcoming teaser of the big pilot with the '9' coming back, very classy.

3. Take more time and think HARDER about the next one which is Zenith. Just my personal opinion, there's a lot classier in the Zenith stable that the El Primero 1969 Chronomaster.

Bro its the portuguese chrono 3714 i'm referring here,not the pilot line...although the pilot 3714 is also nice but eta movement at this price point kinda hard to accept considering alot other options at this price

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »

For me, any Zenith with the Tri colour subdial will do.
The 36k vph model will be excellent.
Pricing wise I think it's slightly lower than the Chronomaster open.
Not a big fan of open heart?if its between rolex sub and zenith el primero?although having both would be nice

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »
I love Rolex , just like how the gals like Chanel. Be it common and boring it has to be a rollie .  =)  and couldn't agree enough with Hanz that the 36mm is the rollie to go for, the dj 2 just seem in-proportionate. This a dj2 size and I have a  7.5 inch wrist . It looks well at first but after some time 36mm looks a lot smarter . ! 

36mm

:thumbsup: nice

Offline kingpin

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »

I was looking at El Primero captain chronograph, this is not that expensive after getting the discount at that time before GST was below 20k. I have shared the link how it looks like. You can feel free to have a look. (Maybe is not your type :P)

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/captain-chronograph-103.html
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline Clicko

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
For Rolex, I will go for sub c, not date just. It's classic, sporty and instant recognition.

For Zenith, I will go for 1969 original. It is classic, sporty and sexy  :P  The case is slim for a chrono and sits well under the cuff.

For IWC, I will go for Ingeniur or Portuguese

Of the 3 brands, I bought Sub C 1st and next was 1969 original. Next will be IWC  ;)

Try the models and see which one you like the most.

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »

I was looking at El Primero captain chronograph, this is not that expensive after getting the discount at that time before GST was below 20k. I have shared the link how it looks like. You can feel free to have a look. (Maybe is not your type :P)

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/captain-chronograph-103.html
ahh that model,its a gorgeous piece,but i can relate your choice on IWC  :Cheers: 3714 pilot is balanced and well designed dial

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
For Rolex, I will go for sub c, not date just. It's classic, sporty and instant recognition.

For Zenith, I will go for 1969 original. It is classic, sporty and sexy  :P  The case is slim for a chrono and sits well under the cuff.

Of the 3 brands, I bought Sub C 1st and next was 1969 original. Next will be IWC  ;)

beautiful indeed but i would prefer if the date sits at 6 o'clock,in the striking tenth edition but too bad its limited edition...

Offline Clicko

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »

beautiful indeed but i would prefer if the date sits at 6 o'clock,in the striking tenth edition but too bad its limited edition...

Mine is 38mm, there is another 42mm (not striking 10th) which has the date at 6.

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 09:38:18 PM »

That's really nice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:41 AM »

Bro its the portuguese chrono 3714 i'm referring here,not the pilot line...although the pilot 3714 is also nice but eta movement at this price point kinda hard to accept considering alot other options at this price

Opps my bad, no coffee this morning.

But yes, my suggestion still stand.

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »
I'd probably take the Zenith.  It's a beautiful watch with a legendary movement. What's not to like?   ;D