Author Topic: Import duties and tax on watches and straps  (Read 47379 times)

Offline whyeshen

• Freshie
Import duties and tax on watches and straps
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »
Hi guys!

This is my second post.

Just a quick question. If I purchase my watch online from overseas and ship it to Malaysia, won't the Malaysian Customs hold up my watch and impose import duty on my purchase? I just want to be sure before I make any online overseas purchases and ship it to Malaysia.

Thank you!

Regards,
Shen

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Import duties and tax on watches and straps
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:32 AM »
watch is tax free

Offline Everdying

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
no tax.
just be sure to use a proper courier, and not EMS, USPS or whatever that will then be at the mercy of poslaju once it reaches here.
at least a proper courier is the lesser of the evils.

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
watch r tax free for the moment, but leather strap will tax something, depend the quantity u order...

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »
I have ordered quite a few watches and accessories from Europe and Singapore thus far, and most of the shipment had been trouble-free. Clearance in customs at KLIA would normally take 1-3 days only. From experience, I have seen the best services from FedEx; so this remained my no. 1 option especially when I am making orders for relatively more expensive pieces.

There was one occasion when PosLaju delivered the parcel to a wrong address (and duly-accepted by another recipient even though the address was wrong and the parcel was in my name); but the seller honoured the deal by sending me a replacement set while PosLaju and him took up on the negotiations. Accidents could happen, so make sure that you order from a reputable seller and check the returns and replacement policies (a norm for European sellers).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:36:56 AM by andytagheuer »
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline mono

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
i have ordered watches from Europe, China, Hong Kong.. straps from Taiwan, Australia. All No tax imposed. had used services like Fedex, DHL, EMS and even registered mail..all of them arrived eventually. But best are still FEDex and DHL, Fast and worry-free. EMS is fine but takes a at least two three days more than DHL or FEDEX and sometimes the boys will delivered to the next door, so i always worry a bit, if the dealers or vendor offers courier services, pay a bit more for the peace of mind.

Offline kygan711

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
I am thinking of getting a watch from US. I reckon i should use Fed Ex or DHL base on what I hear.

What about parcel pro ? Is this the same as Fed Ex and DHL ?

Next, what insurance can we buy in to get compensation for the price we purchase if the watch is loss or not delivered since the seller wont take responsibility.

For payment method, which method is best ? Bank wire not good for buyer correct in case the seller dont send the products we got no one to seek help from to get refund ?

Sorry for the many questions as this is going to be my first attempt to buying watches from overseas.

Thanks.

Offline whyeshen

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »
Wow thanks for the replies guys! All clear now and will go on a watch buying spree from now!!!!

Regards,
Whye Shen

Offline niteowl

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that for luxury watches, it is duty free but there is a sales tax is 10% for watches.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-luxury-watch/

When I asked around, some friends told me it really depends on your luck and on whether the custom wants to 'kacau'...

Anyone with this experience or can verify this?

Also, when the sellers send over to Malaysia, do they declare its value? Then item listed as watch or gift?

Thanks

Offline mono

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »
when it comes to the payment method, paypal is always the first choice cause it is more biased toward buyer.i think  Bank wire or else only when you have total trust on the seller..in this case do a lot of research. But after more than 20 over watch buying experiences in the web, i have not try a pre-owned watch or more expensive watch so no bank wire experience for me.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 07:29:07 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that for luxury watches, it is duty free but there is a sales tax is 10% for watches.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-luxury-watch/

When I asked around, some friends told me it really depends on your luck and on whether the custom wants to 'kacau'...

Also, when the sellers send over to Malaysia, do they declare its value? Then item listed as watch or gift?

Thanks
Already mentioned many time, watches are tax free in Malaysia.

Offline Fluffy6640

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »

Thanks

To add on declaration of value, "reputable" sellers will always (in my experience) declare its value and not as a gift.

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »
tax free for nowwww.

Yup Fedex so far the best, i recall i need to pay some custom administration fees like RM20 through Fedex
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 06:01:39 AM »
Some sellers follow strict rules in stating the value of the watch. Some will ask you how much to put. A lower amount might have implications on the insured sum. Some just state as "watch parts", "repaired watch", "gift" etc.

Given that things can go wrong sometimes, you might want to request the seller to state the item as something less obvious. A "Watch" with stated value in thousands will attract unnecessary attention. Perhaps "timing device" or "spare parts"?  :P

Thanks

To add on declaration of value, "reputable" sellers will always (in my experience) declare its value and not as a gift.
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline niteowl

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
Thanks Guys for the wonderful feedback  :)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 07:40:28 AM »
before GST implemention

bringing in watches to msia is free.

so pls dont be too smart in your declaration, our custom officer dont understand your term, worst !

just to share one of my experience

a watch i bought from US stucked at custom
Fedex import clearance guy called, asked - what do u mean by repaired horo instrument? custom wanted the ship out evidence!

i said i nvr ship it out, my friend bring there

fedex said not evidence shown u bring out then custom will tax u

i said nope, this is a watch, repaired or new or used, it should not be taxed! fedex said yes, he will explain...

so if watch is not taxable item, make it simple
some may argue, its not about custom, but the courier company staff/postman know its a watch, he might take it

to save insurance premium by declaring lower value, end of the day u can claim less.... not an issue of  custom and tax

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »
moral of the story...dnt buy online. We got some many AD, preown shop in M'sia and why buy online?
remarks : i am refer to those higher end timepiece

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »
before GST implemention

so pls dont be too smart in your declaration, our custom officer dont understand your term, worst !

Fedex import clearance guy called, asked - what do u mean by repaired horo instrument? custom wanted the ship out evidence!

i said nope, this is a watch, repaired or new or used, it should not be taxed! fedex said yes, he will explain...

some may argue, its not about custom, but the courier company staff/postman know its a watch, he might take it

to save insurance premium by declaring lower value, end of the day u can claim less.... not an issue of  custom and tax

I had an experience on watch for repair too. I bought a new watch but the movement of the hand was not as smooth as I thought it should be. I arranged for the European boutique to take back to view and repair/replace. As I normally arrange vide FedEx, the boutique arranged for a reverse charge parcel. FedEx Malaysia would pass you some declaration forms when you tell them that you have a watch for repair. Just fill in the particulars (and particularly important to the Custom was the watch serial no to track its re-entry into Malaysia) and voila, it was a smooth process to and fro. I have had watches coming in from as far as the States and Europe, and so far so good with international courier companies.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »
watches is duty free but watch strap is not... :Blue:

Offline kygan711

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »
I have purchased about 9 straps so far from US , Taiwan, Italy and France. All were declared as Watch Strap and  all reach me with no tax imposed.

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
Could it be because I declared as leather strap with genuine invoice attached..

Offline niteowl

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
chrisyen + andytagheuer... thanks for sharing your experiences.

I at one point contemplated buying from foreign dealers but this tax issues really bugged me and later on, found the watch I wanted in MWF and ended up buying there instaed. :)

before GST implemention

I had an experience on watch for repair too. I bought a new watch but the movement of the hand was not as smooth as I thought it should be. I arranged for the European boutique to take back to view and repair/replace. As I normally arrange vide FedEx, the boutique arranged for a reverse charge parcel. FedEx Malaysia would pass you some declaration forms when you tell them that you have a watch for repair. Just fill in the particulars (and particularly important to the Custom was the watch serial no to track its re-entry into Malaysia) and voila, it was a smooth process to and fro. I have had watches coming in from as far as the States and Europe, and so far so good with international courier companies.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »
congrats!

local deal always easier !

more so u can view, touch, try, check... before buying!

chrisyen + andytagheuer... thanks for sharing your experiences.

I at one point contemplated buying from foreign dealers but this tax issues really bugged me and later on, found the watch I wanted in MWF and ended up buying there instaed. :)

before GST implemention

Offline timenut

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »
be wary if you are buying just a watch storage box, there is tax.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
guys sorry to reply to a zombie thread but i need some help.  I am looking to purchase a watch from the US.

I know watches are tax free but will the 6% GST be incurred at customs? This is a JLC reverso I am looking to purchase so every cent counts!

Thanks