Author Topic: Just a thought......  (Read 12335 times)

Offline Dickson Lim

Re: Just a thought......
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
Advice taken and  thank you once again to all senior members for the constructive advice.
Will be on the look out for iwc portuguese chrono or pre-owed 7-days auto. Both are nice dress watches. ;D

For awhile there, I thought you were going after a Patek...  :HammerHead:

Keep the funds in a fixed deposit until you find the watch you want. The longer it takes to find one, the more satisfaction you will have when you finally get it.

Same here. I thought it would be from the holy trinity.  :HammerHead:
IMO, if you can find so many reasons to justify your purchase, then just pull the trigger!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:29:45 AM by Dickson Lim »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »
The 7750 is a rough and tough workhorse used in the majority of all 6,9,12 counter chronos not just IWC. IWC however sometimes uses higher grades of theose ETA ebauches.

If you like the 'tumbling' sound, which most WIS refer to as the rotor wobble....you can get lots of cheaper alternatives..Mido, TAG, EPOS, EDOX, Omega lower end chronos, B&M, Longines, etc....

Its odd that you like the tumbling sound as most WIS get a 7750 movt chrono as its much more reasonably priced compared to other higher end chrono movements like Lemania, FP 1185, Omega 3313 or 9300, Seiko 6S37 which are much more refined and doesn't wobble...

Whatever floats your boat but I personally disposed of all my 7750 based chronos coz the wobble bothers me and the fact that the hands move when the time has been set and the crown is pushed back in is not acceptable..

If I wanted a 7750, I would go for Junghans Chronoscope Max Bill which also houses a 7750... elegant, well finished and much more value for money compared to this particular IWC.

However the beautiful dial and tumbling sound that the 7750 movement makes is driving me nuts...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:23:54 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Primus

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
Not asking, just sharing. Watch already decided either the chrono or auto. But need to see it  in real life, the auto.

needed some place to let off stream. Cannot talk to wife on this topic., my baby girl too young to understand.

Best is to talk to strangers. No percussions.

Why watches, cause I'm an engineer by training and can understand the amount of work and mad ass skill required to produce these beautiful things.

Similarly in work, we try to produce the best quality work for clients and aim to be the 'patek philippe'  of our industry.

I, like the others, don't find it common about hearing someone withdraw their EPF money to purchase a luxury watch. I'm just abit unclear about something, all the money you earn you give it to your wife and in return you gives you a allowance per month? damn... if in that scenario, maybe you should really consult her on this watch purchase, wouldn't want you guys to get into a really really big fight  and strain your relationship (esp with a young daughter) over an IWC. I've always maintained that a luxury watch should be a badge of honor and not viewed as an investment or something you throw everything to get it, so with that spirit i would, in my personal case, feel uncomfortable to withdraw EPF money to purchase a watch. However thats just my personal opinion, no right or wrong here.

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Well, my answer is simple, you know very well if you can afford. If you are unsure, then perhaps you cant.

Watch is luxury item and expensive hobby. We have to live by our means. Noone can really tell you to buy or not to buy. But buying watch is to make us happy and not create problem. So it has to be our spare cash and some money that we can live without.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline puniaboh

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55:53 PM »
Watch is kind of luxurious hobby... don't play a fool...

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »
All very sensible advice (for me as well). Despite the strong poison, I would caution against jumping straight into buying it unless it is really driving you crazy or it's a dem good deal that you cant miss... until you are 100% sure, cos there could be the next poison... what then?
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline STT1987

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »
If you are going to mine EPF money into a luxury watch, don't do it for an ETA mechanism based IWC. For me, that's just buying into their advertisements and has very little value. At the minimum, IMHO such a budget busting watch should be a PP, Breguet or higher. At the very least a Rolex. Just my 2 cents.
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »
Thank you  members for all the advices and constructive criticism.

A quick up date for all. Withdrawal from epf was hassle free, just had to fill in two forms and attached the required bank documents. Submitted and was informed that the funds will be transferred within 7 working days. Quite surprise at the efficiency.

Wish to clarify that the money goes to an investment property and not all will be withdrawn. Own house already free from debt.

Took advice and decided to talk to spouse. Wifey has seen the watch and allow me to buy. Because friend is letting go at very reasonable price. In fact, she will also get the pre-owed portofino from him. The fella is going crazy over  rollies and wants some funds.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »

Took advice and decided to talk to spouse. Wifey has seen the watch and allow me to buy. Because friend is letting go at very reasonable price. In fact, she will also get the pre-owed portofino from him. The fella is going crazy over  rollies and wants some funds.

And it goes to show that it's always best to discuss with the significant other on decisions like these rather than take the hit later. With good persuasion, you can always get what you want...

And as usual, pics or it didn't happen...  :Cheers:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 03:32:54 PM »
Congrats on your triple happiness!  :thumbsup:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline IWCking

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »
If you are going to mine EPF money into a luxury watch, don't do it for an ETA mechanism based IWC. For me, that's just buying into their advertisements and has very little value. At the minimum, IMHO such a budget busting watch should be a PP, Breguet or higher. At the very least a Rolex. Just my 2 cents.

He is considering either port chrono which is heavily modified from Valjoux 7750 or port automatic which is housed in iwc famous pellaton winding movement. Indeed, even Valjouc 7750 has been heavily modified by iwc until one cant argue that its a "ETA mechanism". Some of the mid tier swiss watches do buy a ETA and place it in or asked the ETA to assemble it for them. But thats not the case of portuguese.

"in house movement" kind of mentality is actually result of rollie marketing.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
Hi all,

Due to cny coming, was very busy with work. However today I'm having a bit of break this afternoon and wish to share my new pre-owed below.

Have been wearing it for a week and have kept good time, + 2secs within this 7days..
Even though it is 40mm, it wears much larger compared to ro shown below

Finishing on the iwc is just as good as the ro. Wears more comfortably on the wrist, maybe its due to watch on leather strap.

The iwc with normal working clothes looks more elegant while the ro gives off a more manly looks.

Love both... ;D

Will be hoping to add a diver watch in near future. The GS sd diver is amazing after viewing it from the recent threads.

Cheers and happy cny

Regards
Tsw

Offline Calibr

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
Both are beautiful watches, very nice looking indeed. Another happy forummer mesmerized with the watch hobby! Cheers  :Cheers:

Offline nayo

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »
You already own an AP? And all the fuss?

Offline landyshah

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
 ::) ???

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »
It was the ro that caused bad blood  between wifey and me. She said it was spending too extravagantly, but she allowed it in the end. Then 2 months down the road, I couldn't bear the urge to get a dress watch thus this thread started.

Had a few quartz watches before and only got interested 5 years ago when wifey gave me my first auto watch. Ever since then hooked and saved for a good iconic sports watch.

Isn't it ironic, she flamed the initial interest.

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
Hi tsw, it was your wife who started the flame. U have the best excuse to fan it now... Let it burns, man !

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
Hmm, a real interesting thread, with many twists and turns to the plot...Good read. 
Congrats on your new acquisition and wear in good health!
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline IWCking

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
congratulation. i have this portuguese and ap roo diver. love them both.  :laugh:

Offline rockdaman

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:03 AM »
Apart from personal financial management.

Recently i have found a new way to fund my new watch. I would like to know any1 has experience with overdraft facility by pledging fixed deposit.

I still get my interest for my FD and my overdraft interest is at BLR -2% which most likely 4.6%. The interest rate for overdraft is calculated by daily so if i pay back by fixed term then the interest will be reducing (which is 2.1% if finish payment by 12 months). For example I am going to get a watch which AD only offer me 10% discount and grey dealer is offering me 28% which is 18% different.

By doing so i m going to save total of 15% from the purchase and have a more flexible payment term. Anything i left out from here?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »
Not asking, just sharing. Watch already decided either the chrono or auto. But need to see it  in real life, the auto.

needed some place to let off stream. Cannot talk to wife on this topic., my baby girl too young to understand.

Best is to talk to strangers. No percussions.

Why watches, cause I'm an engineer by training and can understand the amount of work and mad ass skill required to produce these beautiful things.

Similarly in work, we try to produce the best quality work for clients and aim to be the 'patek philippe'  of our industry.

I practice "You are responsible for your own life" motto. I own the watches within mean.