Author Topic: Swiss Watch Servicing Charges - Recommendation Please!  (Read 3451 times)

Offline [email protected]

Swiss Watch Servicing Charges - Recommendation Please!
« on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:28 AM »
Hi everyone! I had taken my Victorinox watch to a local watch shop in Kajang and was quoted $500 for basic servicing. That's like 1/4th the purchase price  :o She's been running fine the past 10 years but i reckon it's about time for some oiling.

Can someone please recommend a trustworthy but perhaps more reasonable option in Kajang or anywhere nearby...Seremban perhaps??? Thanks people

Offline koyote73

• Freshie
Re: Swiss Watch Servicing Charges - Recommendation Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Hi! Yup, that's about the price of servicing a Swiss caliber watch in the Klang valley (400-500). I'm not sure if there are complications the price will be even higher! Apparently I was told by a horologist/watch repairman that the cost to service a Japanese watch is cheaper but can't understand the rational behind it..maybe less complicated??!!

Anyways, I just found a watch shop in Jelebu run by an old timer of 40+years experience with repairing watches. I wanted to service my swiss watch. He said that he would need a couple of weeks to dissemble, oil and assemble the watch. Quoted RM$80 only for servicing!!! I'm guessing it'll be more depending of replacement of wear and tear parts as well as rubber seals etc. Anyways, better then being quoted 0.5K. Will keep you posted about the final bill anyways.   

Offline Caseywai

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
Is there a list of recommended watch service repairs in KL area? I did mine by sending it back to where I bought the watch which was hings watch at Jaya shopping center and they only charged me rm400 for servicing my omega speedmaster.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »
i will normally swiss brand charging generally 10% of its watch value for servicing with a reason!
they use full proper machine and tool, use only original new parts, use correct oil and gasket, proper trained technician, give new warranty, testing going through QC spec, etc
watch its recommended for servicing every 5-6 yrs except some with new tech.

plenty of trained technician doing side jobs
its common since their day job pay is not high

anyway, generally i would not recommend to send your watch to those who charge super low.
bcoz,
1. the original parts is not cheap
2. swiss made tools and good machine cost you alot
3. proper training also cost you a bomb

unless you know who is the guy taking your watch away for weeks.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »
i will normally swiss brand charging generally 10% of its watch value for servicing with a reason!
they use full proper machine and tool, use only original new parts, use correct oil and gasket, proper trained technician, give new warranty, testing going through QC spec, etc
watch its recommended for servicing every 5-6 yrs except some with new tech.

plenty of trained technician doing side jobs
its common since their day job pay is not high

anyway, generally i would not recommend to send your watch to those who charge super low.
bcoz,
1. the original parts is not cheap
2. swiss made tools and good machine cost you alot
3. proper training also cost you a bomb

unless you know who is the guy taking your watch away for weeks.

Totally agreed, my basic watch tools and consumables set (not to mention additional specific tools), all Swiss already cost me more than 1k...
Seiko fan.....

Offline Duckswinx

• maxbet
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
I think today we have to talk about this now.

Offline Masketeer

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:57:53 AM »
can try TSC(amcorp mall),price reasonable.tq

Offline Sky 007

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »
TSC also buy parts from Tax Seng Amcorp mall first floor, better way is send to Tax Seng.

Offline dannyojw

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »
my usual ground are the old shop from sunway Giza, Kota Damansara.