Author Topic: What Women Want and how Men Tells It To Them  (Read 14390 times)

Offline toolkit21

What Women Want and how Men Tells It To Them
« on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
Ok, a forumer suggested I start this thread. And am unsure how it'll pan out over the long run.

Being a guy (I suppose most forumers here are) who has fascination for technology, watches, automobiles, sports, etc., how does one get away, or convince, your other halves (wife, mistress, girlfriend, concubine, what-have-you) to support or "share this joy" of the few (but normally expensive) worldly possession a man has?

What I mean is, you're bound to get questioned or investigated on your splurges. Men's hobbies generally are small in quantity but big in price. A man buys 1 nice expensive shoe, and women buy 10 affordable shoes. So we strive on quality stuff. Women strive on how many color variations of the same looking dress she can fit into her closet.

This topic isn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings, but more to share what guides our "story" to justify buying what we love to buy.

p/s: I got asked by my wife other day, "So you buy so many watch, I also want a few". Kantoi....

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: What Women Want and how Men Tells It To Them
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »
Dunno, the wife's watches cost more than mine
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline el118

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:48:48 PM »
1) Buy branded bags for wife, most of them prefer bags than watches. (and generally cost less than fine watches). tell them they collect bags as we collect watches.

2) if she wants watch, get her fashionable watches like Armani, Hermes, Gucci....

3) If she knows & demand for branded watch, good luck.... work harder......

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
I'm already an expert at this.  ;D
First rule, spend on them and the child before on yourself.
Second rule,  the amount spent on yourself should never be more then what has been spent on them.
Lastly and most importantly, act cool. Never let your other half know how ecstatic or over the moon you're with the purchase. This is if you still plan on continuing with this hobby. Reason being, you'll have to instill in her mind that you buying watches will be a regular occurrence and nothing special. So in time, the first and second rule does not apply anymore. :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »

2) if she wants watch, get her fashionable watches like Armani, Hermes, Gucci....

What if she wants a Panerai??

Offline davidtth

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »

buy other brand with PAM lookalike  ;D

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

Yea....maybe a Burberry Britain (not cheap!!) on leather strap and hope she gets totally distracted by the leather.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:26:58 PM by Enkidu »

Offline el118

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »

Yea....maybe a Burberry Britain (not cheap!!) on leather strap and hope she gets totally distracted by the leather.

Get her the incoming MWF project watch :thumbsup:

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
Very simply get the wife something before getting what you want for yourself.

But before all of that. Make sure your retirement plans are already in place, and the kids' education are taken care of. Then utilize whatever extra funds you have with impunity...

Heh heh...sorry la...40 year old uncle having too much to say... :)

Then enjoy your watch with health and happiness

DC

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »

Before I to decide whether to get a watch, I spend my free time browsing pictures, reviews and forums, then digging into many sale sections of the forums looking at prices. Some time during the search, the wife will peek over my shoulder and I will ask her what she thinks about it. If the answer is favourable, then I'll look some more at prices.

After some time of this hunting, my wife will usually come up behind me late one night and tell me to "go to your regular seller and buy the god***n watch and be done with it already"

Mission accomplished.  :Dancing_banana:  :Dancing_banana:

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
Wah.... I'm really impressed with so many of your responses. It relates well to my situation and in many instances quite similar in all of your tactics.

It'll never be worthwhile to buy something for the wife (and/or children) then yourself because (1) there won't be much money left, (2) you'll be feeling down all the time, (3) there won't be much money left.

But I agree that "showing" the wife your online browsing to gradually implanting the idea that you'll be getting a watch. Sometimes her mood is agreeable she'll say "if its not too expensive, go buy it my dear". If her mood stinks, "eh, everytime say no money no money, somemore want to buy watch ah!".     

((((((I can see many of you snickering in agreement on this)))))

Do share more about how you "get away" with this.... Interesting....

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
Wah.... I'm really impressed with so many of your responses. It relates well to my situation and in many instances quite similar in all of your tactics.

It'll never be worthwhile to buy something for the wife (and/or children) then yourself because (1) there won't be much money left, (2) you'll be feeling down all the time, (3) there won't be much money left.

But I agree that "showing" the wife your online browsing to gradually implanting the idea that you'll be getting a watch. Sometimes her mood is agreeable she'll say "if its not too expensive, go buy it my dear". If her mood stinks, "eh, everytime say no money no money, somemore want to buy watch ah!".     

((((((I can see many of you snickering in agreement on this)))))

Do share more about how you "get away" with this.... Interesting....

My principle in life is never use the "no money" excuse. It's like asking to be in that situation. Be positive and attract wealth!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:47 PM »
i often hear this

ask you buy this shoe rm200 also u said expensive
buy that shirt rm100 also u said expensive

whenu buy watches... rm10-20k never say expensive

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
Many moons ago and when internet and online purchase was still at its infancy, prices checking on watches were not that easy. The memory is still fresh when buying precious time piece that cost a bomb but announced to the other half…haves of the amount that one paid for.

After purchasing the watch, the boxes and the accessories were kept in the car boot to prevent detection. The watch is kept in the closet and only admired and worn when (wife) is not around.
She may or may not noticed the watch on the wrist until one fine day when the wife begins to query that piece on your wrist and suddenly realise that …hey!..thats  a new watch and I have not seen it before. And this is when the trial begins.. when did you buy…how much…blah..blah…etc.

The only way out is to declare that new acquisition is at a ridiculous half the price that one actually pay for, and it always works…..until many of these pre-owned shops mushroomed at the local scene.
Now ones can easily check prices practically on all whats not on the internet…So don’t play play.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »
It must be very tough to hide your stuff around the house, assuming wife does cleaning and knows all nook and cranny of "secret" areas for your stash.

But somehow the idea of secrecy and hide-and-seek makes the watch keepsake more interesting and fun.

Offline e1fnd

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »
What I do is that I make sure we set some ground rules...

No buying stuffs at retail prices - unless there are discounts.

And we tend to spend  loads and attend most of the warehouse sales in KL/Selangor. For example, last week there was a Bally Warehouse sale at 70%-50% off, Clarks and such. So spend there first.

Then... only you unleash the proposal of you spending triple the amount that they spend...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
What I do is that I make sure we set some ground rules...

No buying stuffs at retail prices - unless there are discounts.

And we tend to spend  loads and attend most of the warehouse sales in KL/Selangor. For example, last week there was a Bally Warehouse sale at 70%-50% off, Clarks and such. So spend there first.

Then... only you unleash the proposal of you spending triple the amount that they spend...

That's a slippery slope to go down... once the shopping starts, it never stops till the cash runs out.. and you can never beat them at it.

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline e1fnd

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »
... unless you hold onto their purses/handbags while they are at it...

Offline Empty Tree 8

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 07:12:46 AM »

Hahahah.....just could't resist could you.....!!!  :D :D :D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »

Shows your wife's good taste in watches.

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
i usually get to spend IF my wife gives the go signal... :Praying:

why i got a my first entry level luxury watch (a Tag) is because she asked me, "considering buying one for yourself as a memorabilia since we are going for our honeymoon?" i was like :Dancing_banana:  :Jumping:

and... now i couldn't stop reading and planning for my next purchase :Blue:
and she can't stand me looking/reading at watches right after my recent purchase :Confused:

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
i usually get to spend IF my wife gives the go signal... :Praying:

why i got a my first entry level luxury watch (a Tag) is because she asked me, "considering buying one for yourself as a memorabilia since we are going for our honeymoon?" i was like :Dancing_banana:  :Jumping:

and... now i couldn't stop reading and planning for my next purchase :Blue:
and she can't stand me looking/reading at watches right after my recent purchase :Confused:

Too late. She got you hooked!!!  :HammerHead:

Offline Yoda

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
Bribe them if you want a watch get her a watch first
 :Cheers:
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline gucciposh

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »

Agree! Finally, someone understand what women want!  :Dancing_banana:
Of course women don't work as hard as men cos they always get it right for the first time :-p

Offline dpkong

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »

Agree! Finally, someone understand what women want!  :Dancing_banana:

:Blue: